• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

3.6 miles/kWh commute to work

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Whoa that's a low number. I do about 70mph for 55 miles each way (110 total) and I'm at about 2.0 to 2.1 each way with temps in the 20's low 30's. Most of mine is highway driving(90 or so) and that is with the heat going on 1 or 2 as well. Those single digits really are a killer and I'll find out first hand on Friday as we are due for extreme cold in NH this weekend.
I got closer to 1.2 going 70 in -15 so I assume it’s mainly the no preconditions killing me
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
How does regen hurt efficiency? This is new information to me. Thanks.
Because 100% of energy can't be converted back. Therefore, accelerating and free rolling (ill-advised) is technically better.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I got closer to 1.2 going 70 in -15 so I assume it’s mainly the no preconditions killing me
Great point. I wasn't preconditioning the first month I had it and saw mention of it on here and decided to start doing it. Has made a big difference. -15?!?! Stay warm!!

OP
OP

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Because 100% of energy can't be converted back. Therefore, accelerating and free rolling (ill-advised) is technically better.
only if you could free roll until you come to a complete stop, which in most cases you can’t. The moment you hit brakes regen will come on top.

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Your meter is wrong. Nobody can get 3.6 miles per kWh (470 miles range w/ ext battery) consistently over long periods of time at the speed you're driving. There are laws of physics and you are breaking them at 3.6. One way to test it and truly get reliable data is to drain your battery as close to 0% as you feel comfortable, charge it to 100% at a charger that tracks the kWh per charge (don't use any kwh information the truck gives you), note down the kWhs used to charge to 100% and then see how many miles you can go til you go back as close to 0% (or whatever % you went to the first time). Depending on the battery you have, divide the miles by kWh consumed in that full charge and you'll get a real world number.

I'm not saying 3.6 is impossible even over long periods but if I were to guess what could achieve that over hundreds of miles consistently is driving 30-35 mph, flat, smooth road, zero headwind, very little to no stopping and going and 75-80 degree temps without climate control on.

I'm averaging a very impressive 2.7 over thousands of miles but I very rarely go above 50 mph (100% city driving) and my outdoor temp is at 70-80 all the time so the battery is happy and I don't run my ac hard.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gewalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro (no options)
Your meter is wrong. Nobody can get 3.6 miles per kWh (470 miles range w/ ext battery) consistently over long periods of time at the speed you're driving. There are laws of physics and you are breaking them at 3.6. One way to test it and truly get reliable data is to drain your battery as close to 0% as you feel comfortable, charge it to 100% at a charger that tracks the kWh per charge (don't use any kwh information the truck gives you), note down the kWhs used to charge to 100% and then see how many miles you can go til you go back as close to 0% (or whatever % you went to the first time). Depending on the battery you have, divide the miles by kWh consumed in that full charge and you'll get a real world number.

I'm not saying 3.6 is impossible even over long periods but if I were to guess what could achieve that over hundreds of miles consistently is driving 30-35 mph, flat, smooth road, zero headwind, very little to no stopping and going and 75-80 degree temps without climate control on.

I'm averaging a very impressive 2.7 over thousands of miles but I very rarely go above 50 mph (100% city driving) and my outdoor temp is at 70-80 all the time so the battery is happy and I don't run my ac hard.
I also hesitate to say it's impossible. Here's a photo from my 60kWh Bolt EV driving extremely gingerly - 190% of EPA range.

3.6 is only 150% of EPA range for an SR Pro. I don't have my truck yet but consider this "challenge accepted".

Ford F-150 Lightning 3.6 miles/kWh commute to work Screenshot_20230131-160725

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Is anybody else experiencing regen without touching the brakes and without 1PD on? When I get off the gas(!), I feel a slight bit of deceleration and the display shows a bit of green, to a much smaller extent but similar to when I use the brakes. It's almost like a bit of regen is being used when not using the accelerator no matter what.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
If you are referring to My EV Driving, don’t believe it at face value
C1840428-5500-46A2-8095-590216BFFDE8.png

I drove when we went out to dinner Sunday evening with friends Round trip was around 16 miles as you can see. Look at that energy efficiency.
My odometer showed 17 miles driven and SOC went from 80% to 71%. Granted that the heat was set to 70° and all four seat heaters were on. (Two women in the truck, enough said). This works out to 1.4 miles per kWh.
In 40° ambient, this is what I would expect.
Is this from your FordPass? I don’t have trip logs present in mine. Any idea what I haven’t done? Is it a phone ad a key thing?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Is this from your FordPass? I don’t have trip logs present in mine. Any idea what I haven’t done? Is it a phone ad a key thing?
That feature was temporarily removed from FordPass.
Sponsored