• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out?

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I just got a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T3W in LT275/60R20 on the stock rims. They are considerably heavier (58 lbs) than the stock Hankook AT tires, and there seems to be a bit of a range hit - but it just turned cold here, too, so it's hard to tell how much. A little road noise, but nothing like the K02's on my old ICE truck.

The ride is a little stiffer, but I prefer the steering response and I expect they will do much better in snow/ice/wet conditions. And they actually look like AT tires, unlike the stock "AT" tires.
I think tire tread also has a meaningful difference, but not sure that can be avoided with winter tires.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/668727/ford-f150-lightning-tire-comparison/
Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Tire tread will at least minimize the public shaming when I get stuck at the bottom of the meadow during mud season (again). Nobody laughed when the K02's couldn't hack it, but I wouldn't dare go into the field on those Hankooks.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Just got my Nokian Outpost nATs mounted on the the new Roush wheels.

Now I just have to wait 4 months to put them on when the Hakkas come off after the winter.

Hopefully I won't take too much of a hit on mileage.......but the Outposts are quite a blocky aggressive tread. Supposed to be "suitable for EV cars."

Weight combo floored me. 87.2 pounds. YIKES!!!!!

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Like $6 and a service center popcorn w/ paper cone of water (with unlimited refills for 90 minutes).
Those points add up. I redeemed 37,000 points for a brake controller, and it was about $200 off. I paid $22 after a discount code and points from the Ford accessory site.

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
We replaced the original equipment Hankook tires with BFG KO2 tires. Hwy efficiency at 55-62 dropped from 1.9-2.1 down to 1.8-1.9. The only real downside is the retail price of ~$1600 but COSTCO price match can bring the price down a bit; there was a factory rebate and a dealer rebate as well. The KO2s work really well on ice and the snowy terrain of western Montana ... a real smile as we drive past all of the posers. We have used the KO2s on our Expy, 1/2 tons, and wranglers without a complaint both on and off-road ... hard to trust something else on icy roads.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
TL;DR: Outstanding traction with Destination A/T2, but disappointing ABS.

Today was the first time I’ve driven my truck on slippery weather. I bought it used with a brand-new set of Firestone Destination A/T2s, which I chose because they carry the 3-peak mountain snowflake rating.

I was impressed for the most part; it seemed to grip as well as my other cars did on snow tires. I’m not sure how much of that is the 3PMSF tires and how much is the increased ground pressure because of how heavy it was. But it was very confident in slush, and even did pretty well on packed ice.

Apparently, this is the first thing I’ve had without a direct linkage between the brake pedal and the hydraulics. I got no feedback from the pedal when the ABS kicked in, and I wasn’t real impressed with how it handled that part. I was trying it out on packed ice coming down from 50 MPH, and the entire truck shook and jerked as the system tried to find traction. Tires locked, spun, and locked again as it came down to speed. I expected better, but if that's my biggest grip with the truck, I can't complain too loudly.

Sponsored

surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER order. 23 Taycan 4CT, 04 E 320 wagon
We replaced the original equipment Hankook tires with BFG KO2 tires. Hwy efficiency at 55-62 dropped from 1.9-2.1 down to 1.8-1.9. The only real downside is the retail price of ~$1600 but COSTCO price match can bring the price down a bit; there was a factory rebate and a dealer rebate as well. The KO2s work really well on ice and the snowy terrain of western Montana ... a real smile as we drive past all of the posers. We have used the KO2s on our Expy, 1/2 tons, and wranglers without a complaint both on and off-road ... hard to trust something else on icy roads.
What size KO2 did you go with? Thanks

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
... kept the same size as OEM to avoid any warranty hassles that might occur with the motors feeding power to the wheels. The KO2s are already quite a bit heavier than stock.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Since I have 22s, I might just stick with the stock General Grabber HTS 60. As per tirerack, I don't have many options...

Continental TerrainContact A/T
Continental TerrainContact H/T
Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT
General Grabber HTS 60
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV
Nokian Hakkapeliita R5 SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season
Sponsored