• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anybody else notice the slight "Click" when starting off either in forward or reverse?

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Mine clicks too. Very faint and can only hear with windows down. But it’s there. I feel no mechanical vibration or shudder. Just the audible click.
Sponsored

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
I hear a click when I take off with the windows down. Very faint but it’s there. When I almost stop I can here it as well. One pedal drive. Sounds like okay in the axle, maybe it’s normal. Heard it since day 1. Almost 5k miles. My Mustang Mache is silent. Maybe it’s normal. More of a axle click it sounds like.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I hear a click when I take off with the windows down. Very faint but it’s there. When I almost stop I can here it as well. One pedal drive. Sounds like okay in the axle, maybe it’s normal. Heard it since day 1. Almost 5k miles. My Mustang Mache is silent. Maybe it’s normal. More of a axle click it sounds like.
Exactly what I'm hearing. And as you say, you don't have to completely stop for it to click again. Like half-shaft play or if there is a torque link on the motor that's flexing back and forth when you accel/decel.

Mike

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Can someone get a recording of it?

Sponsored

jrdelong1043

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E premium, Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Arborist
Exactly what I'm hearing. And as you say, you don't have to completely stop for it to click again. Like half-shaft play or if there is a torque link on the motor that's flexing back and forth when you accel/decel.

Mike
Yes, maybe it’s normal. I had my axles replaced in my Mache, I argued that it was the axles and ford said, we think it’s the motor. Replaced the motor, and noise still there. A clunk when I turned a hard left or right at 5-10 mph. It was the axles. Hopefully it’s normal, or maybe the lightning has faulty axles as well. It doesn’t sound bad, but most definitely a solid click noise.

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
An update on my clicking noise. I took it to the dealer.

Can only hear with the windows down. It’s from the rear of the truck. To me it sounded like loose axle nuts on a CV. Techs at the dealership thought so too. They tightened everything down at the axles and brakes and the noise is still there.

Techs are stumped and will be following up with Ford corporate engineers.

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
I've also had the clicks happening to mine when I take off and almost come to a stop. I feel like it's not a mechanical/electronic cause because it's not really exact or perfectly repeatable. Sometime it's quieter, and often the clicks are not lined up on driver side and passenger side. I keep thinking it's some kind of metal tags hanging on something down there and sliding around. Or maybe there's an abacus under there that they mounted to help the GOM do it's thing 😂

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would take spare tire off and look around.
I might take it off and do another video to see if there's any movement that correlates with the clicking. It's gotten so that half the time I don't notice it anymore, it's always there when even slightly accelerating or decelerating. I don't have the radio on cause I like it quiet, so the noise is pretty easy to hear.

I did videos of the left and right front as well, but it's not clear where the noise is coming from really.

Mike

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yesterday, the 31st I was contacted by the Ford media rep and provided my details. Today my dealership's service tech called me and I drove down to talk with him about the issue.

At his suggestion we grabbed the keys to the dealer's mannequin which is identical to my truck except for the addition of the Max Tow extra compressor, and I put it in 1 PD and we drove around the lot and on a side street, and their truck does the same thing. You don't have to be in 1 PD or use Auto-Hold to cause the noise to happen, it just makes it easier to demonstrate what's happening when accelerating and decelerating.

So not sure where this is going but the tech is hoping that Ford will be footing the bill for the labor on whatever diagnostic steps are next, or send the Dearborn "A" team, complete with lab coats and stethoscopes.... :cool:

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
Yup this is the noise mine makes. It also makes it going over bumps too without accelerating. It's almost liek a metal flex of the protective metal shield or something.

MapleMan650

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 2017 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
I.T.
Just checking in here, mine also makes the click/tick sound. Sounds like it’s coming from the front and rear.
Sponsored