• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apple Maps has Driver Display integration?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Unless I am missing something Apple Maps appears to have some extra integration with the Truck vs the other maps apps.

When testing the different MAPS apps (Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps) using CarPlay I was surprised and curious as to why Apple Maps is the only of the 3 that show turn integration data displayed on the Driver gauge Display. It is the built-in Driver gauge display, which is the same as shown on Driver gauge display when using Sync NAV. (see attached)

Anybody else notice this? and have an explanation why? It seems odd that Apple would have any extra integration with Ford vs Google/Waze.

Aesthetically I like Apple Maps the most, and this is a nice feature but I prefer Waze for daily driving for the potential of saving a speeding ticket.

Ford F-150 Lightning Apple Maps has Driver Display integration? IMG_1146
Sponsored

Last edited:

techdaddy3x

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
No official explanation, but yet Apple Maps does have integration. The Mach E can integrate charging stops as well into Apple Maps. I imagine this should come to the Lightning soon. Great feature!

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Yep, that was a pleasant surprise. I suspect that since CarPlay is an Apple product they are prioritizing Apple maps integration in their product development. Likely leave Google/Waze integration to the Android folks.

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Apple maps burned me multiple times many years ago so I haven't even looked at it. That is nice.
I wonder if Google maps does the same on Android Auto?

bwcbwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler
This caused me to switch over to Apple Maps from my long-time usage of Google Maps.

Apple Maps is better than when I last used it many years ago. And thankfully, they added the ability to support multi-stop trips right as I was switching over. Crazy that they didn't have that feature previously.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Google Maps does the same with Android Auto
Yup - I only ever use Google maps or built in Nav, so I didn't know the others didn't do this.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Apple maps burned me multiple times many years ago so I haven't even looked at it. That is nice.
I wonder if Google maps does the same on Android Auto?
Just FYI: same thing many years ago. It almost got me arrested at an airport by directing me to the control tower parking. I don’t know where Goodwill but I can tell you where they used to be!

I like you swore off Apple Maps for years and tried it again the first time last year when we got the Lightning. It’s been a pleasant surprise, flawless in big and small towns alike. You might find the same.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
The first time I used Apple Maps was right after launch in 2012. It couldn’t even place me on the correct continent.

In the last 3 years it’s got rather good, to the point I generally prefer it over Google Maps. This integration is super useful but it really adds to my desire for my “stupidly expensive iPad on wheels” to have a heads up display with those kinds of snippets of info.

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Apple Maps also passes on low range warnings from Lightning while using it

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Any nav app on android are already able to show directions on the car dash
But that is if you are using Android Auto correct?
Using Apple Carplay with Google or Waze wont do it for me

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
But that is if you are using Android Auto correct?
Using Apple Carplay with Google or Waze wont do it for me
Yep if you use android auto google maps and wave will show up in the dash display. Apple car play will only do it with Apple Maps.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
The first time I used Apple Maps was right after launch in 2012. It couldn’t even place me on the correct continent.

In the last 3 years it’s got rather good, to the point I generally prefer it over Google Maps. This integration is super useful but it really adds to my desire for my “stupidly expensive iPad on wheels” to have a heads up display with those kinds of snippets of info.
Ford REALLY missed a customer requirement by not including a HUD on the Lightning!

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Waze does it with AA
Sponsored