• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are order conversion rates absolutely horrific?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
You are suggesting a very complicated process for the IRS. The IRS hardly even looks at tax returns and to suggest that the IRS is going to look every EV submitted for the tax credit meets the cost threshold is unrealistic. Just like they do today, the IRS is going to look at a list to see if your model trim is on it and they are not going to worry about whether your widget option drove the cost above the threshold.
Current version of the form doesn't even ask what trim version the vehicle is. It does ask for VIN, which is a simple match to the information they can get from manufacturers. I suspect that next year the form will include a line item asking for MSRP. You can put whatever number you like there, but when/if you get audited all your wishes will not be considered.
Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
its amazing what them darned old computers can pull up with a vin number nowadays.

they don't have to search out much of anything. The computer pulls your vin from your paper work and reads the cost of the vehicle from the sticker price total.
I do agree with this perspective. I do not believe any manual review is necessary so the idea that the difficulty of conducting a manual review would mandate an interpretation one way or the other is unlikely, in my opinion. I don't understand why people believe the DMV, IRS, and other government entities are still operating in a 1950s schema in regards to tracking these kinds of things. It's also one of the many reasons I caution people from playing fast and loose with the $7,500 incentive rules.

That should at least put trims, without specific packages, as the base price. Whether that puts the entire truck, regardless of trim, into one price is unlikely in my opinion.
So far the states that interpret their incentive rules like this use the base price for every trim other than the Platinum, which does not have any options for the items that distinguish the other trims.

[edit] I should say that if the law applied to base price, it would be too easy for manufacturers to price it below threshold and make a whole bunch of things options. Like tires, wheels, talegate, fobs, etc.
I don't think there is any incentive for government, IRS, or manufacturers to try and prevent the uptake of EVs by increasing the price or interpreting rules that would put common MSRPs above threshold (ignoring the current shortages that may be motivating Ford to price its products the way it's currently doing, which is to say they do seem to be deliberately pricing the ERs above incentive threshold but this appears to be a unique situation).

The government wants EV uptake and the incentives are intended to go into the manufacturers' pockets so long as they play ball with Congress' intent. Last time their intent was just to get EVs to market and this time their intent is to focus those efforts on domestic production.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Many taxing jurisdictions / registration authorities utilize the base vehicle price, from a book, to determine things like registration fees.
We have many jurisdiction with a wide variety of law and procedures, I'm sure there are plenty of examples where a lower value is used, but my actual experience in Massachusetts, they used the bottom line value with all the bells and whistles included for sales tax to the state and excise tax to the city/town.

Diversity of procedures at the state level does not guarantee what side of the line the IRS is going to use, so at the risk of egg on my face rather than law suits against me for my opinion driving people into untenable financial risk, I stay on the conservative POV.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We have many jurisdiction with a wide variety of law and procedures, I'm sure there are plenty of examples where a lower value is used, but my actual experience in Massachusetts, they used the bottom line value with all the bells and whistles included for sales tax to the state and excise tax to the city/town.

Diversity of procedures at the state level does not guarantee what side of the line the IRS is going to use, so at the risk of egg on my face rather than law suits against me for my opinion driving people into untenable financial risk, I stay on the conservative POV.
I do agree with your suggestion to err on the conservative side of interpretation if one wants to be as sure as one can be in their purchase.

That said, I would also suggest a difference exists in how a government entity would interpret how they determine incentive eligibility vs. how they interpret tax revenue. Assuming they want to maximize both incentivizing EVs on their roads and maximize tax revenue the same entity could interpret the incentives in a way that would generate the most eligible drivers while simultaneously taxing them in a way that generates more revenue without contradiction. In fact, one could say they may be incentivized to get more EVs on the road through looser incentives rules in order to generate increased tax revenues through the more conservative tax rules.

I do agree nothing is guaranteed, however, CA is an example of a state that bases incentives on the top line price while taxing on bottom line price.

Jason Weaver

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Platinum Expedition
Occupation
Solar Sales
Actually, I think the definition is right there. It clearly states "manufacturer's suggested retail price". It doesn't say "base price". To me that sounds like total MSRP number at the bottom of the sticker. Now, it's remotely possible that IRS will interpret this in a way that contradicts plain meaning of the text, but I wouldn't place my hopes on that.

[edit] I should say that if the law applied to base price, it would be too easy for manufacturers to price it below threshold and make a whole bunch of things options. Like tires, wheels, talegate, fobs, etc.
You are correct, it does clearly state MSRP. However, when building the truck, you will find the “base“ MSRP, and the “total” MSRP. So which one will they enforce? i would err on the base.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I don't understand why people believe the DMV, IRS, and other government entities are still operating in a 1950s schema in regards to tracking these kinds of things. It's also one of the many reasons I caution people from playing fast and loose with the $7,500 incentive rules.
AMEN, though in my prior career experiences, data sharing agreements with some states comes easier than others, for example, Delaware was/is a tightwad about sharing anything, my fellow revenue officers had to use antiquated procedures to summons the most basic information, while in Massachusetts and many other states, the DMV actually loaned out a data terminal installed at our Boston office for clerks to pull information directly as needed, when collector or auditor needed the information for targeted enforcement.

When you consider the state of data processing in the 21st century, there is still a wide disparity from state to state, not so much for the technology, but the political will to remain as isolated fiefdoms, this inhibits the capacity to do big data analysis and target selection for more precise enforcement action.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
the data needed can be pulled directly from ford
Yes, from all EV manufacturers, brings back back memories of the time it took to build the data systems to enforce the provisions of ACA & Shared Responsibility Penalty (actually a tax) but still called a penalty, SMH ...... I'm glad to be retired now!! [/tangent]

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you consider the state of data processing in the 21st century, there is still a wide disparity from state to state, not so much for the technology, but the political will to remain as isolated fiefdoms, this inhibits the capacity to do big data analysis and target selection for more precise enforcement action.
I'm laughing right now because I knew while I was writing it the reason many people believe those entities operate in a 1950s schema--it's because in may ways they do!

My local water utility is exactly like that. They are in a zero footprint building, complete with parking structures covered in solar panels, and offer direct electronic payments but they literally can't stop sending paper bills to anyone. There's no mechanism in their system to do so! I don't understand it but there's no way around it according to them. But the concept still serves a heuristic purpose. :)

the data needed can be pulled directly from ford
This is why I think it's not contradictory to believe the DMV and/or IRS could be both woefully behind the times in one aspect while surprisingly adept in another. Perhaps we can call this the Clouseau Principle.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are correct, it does clearly state MSRP. However, when building the truck, you will find the “base“ MSRP, and the “total” MSRP. So which one will they enforce? i would err on the base.
It doesn't matter what you would choose. It matters what the IRS will choose. And IRS will not be building the truck on the Ford site. They would be getting a single number from Ford which, incidentally, is the same number that Ford reports to IRS as revenue.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The government wants EV uptake and the incentives are intended to go into the manufacturers' pockets so long as they play ball with Congress' intent. Last time their intent was just to get EVs to market and this time their intent is to focus those efforts on domestic production.
You seem to think that "the government" is a single monolithic entity. In fact it's a multitude of of departments with different incentives and motivations. Sometimes diametrically opposite motivations, even within the same department. IRS primary function has nothing to do with EVs. Their function is to collect the taxes owed, and enforce tax laws.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You seem to think that "the government" is a single monolithic entity. In fact it's a multitude of of departments with different incentives and motivations. Sometimes diametrically opposite motivations, even within the same department. IRS primary function has nothing to do with EVs. Their function is to collect the taxes owed, and enforce tax laws.
In the context of this conversation, where we are discussing a $7,500 EV tax incentive, the "government" referred to was Congress, which is a "single monolithic entity" in its decisions regardless of any snarky retorts that it's comprised of two distinct buildings within which many individuals operate.

While I appreciate your explanation of what the IRS' function is, you left out the fact that the IRS answers to Congress and is, in fact, established for Congress to levy taxes per the US Constitution. Hence, the IRS is part of that "single monolithic entity" that one might refer to as "Congress" and directed by the will of such even if individuals within it might otherwise have differences of opinions with other individuals within other government buildings.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the context of this conversation, where we are discussing a $7,500 EV tax incentive, the "government" referred to was Congress, which is a "single monolithic entity" in its decisions regardless of any snarky retorts that it's comprised of two distinct buildings within which many individuals operate.

While I appreciate your explanation of what the IRS' function is, you left out the fact that the IRS answers to Congress and is, in fact, established for Congress to levy taxes per the US Constitution. Hence, the IRS is part of that "single monolithic entity" that one might refer to as "Congress" and directed by the will of such even if individuals within it might otherwise have differences of opinions with other individuals within other government buildings.
Agree to disagree. The law was passed and took effect in August. IRS will publish final regulations in March or April. Whatever incentivizing takes place will not be impacted by IRS. Heck, most people won't understand what the law does for years to come. IRS will be writing the rules primarily to make the best sense of the gobledigooky language produced by America's distinctly criminal class. Creating incentives will not enter into it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

The IRS is part of the Treasury department (executive branch). It does not report to congress.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Creating incentives will not enter into it.
I have no idea why you continue to bang on this drum--I'm not suggesting the IRS will "create" incentives for EV adoption.

The fact remains that Congress established the EV tax rules to incentivize EV adoption. The IRS answers to Congress--is it's functional arm in collecting taxes--and will write/interpret the tax code in light of Congress' intent. If it doesn't, Congress will direct it to do so via a variety of mechanisms.

Hopefully I don't need to break out each individual House or list individual members of each building in order to have a constructive conversation. We can't agree that "Congress" entails all of those entities in common parlance?

The IRS is part of the Treasury department (executive branch). It does not report to congress.
You believe the Treasury Department and the IRS within it, both established by Congress, which itself has the power of the purse, doesn't answer to Congress and could somehow operate oppositional to Congress' intent without consequence?

Ford F-150 Lightning Are order conversion rates absolutely horrific? Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 8.29.50 AM

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/our-government/the-legislative-branch/

Various "reports" to Congress:
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-is...lateral-development-banks/reports-to-congress

https://home.treasury.gov/data/troubled-assets-relief-program/reports/monthly-report-to-congress

etc.

not sure why some want to go down this path of discussion as it's completely fruitless. If you genuinely think the IRS won't adopt/interpret rules in light of Congress' expressed intent (and that if it somehow went rogue that Congress wouldn't have a mechanism to reign it in) then yeah we're going to have to "agree to disagree." It's an even sillier conversation in light of the fact the President is currently aligned with those stated goals.
Sponsored

Last edited: