• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Problems

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did find some interesting articles about "POwerUP" over the air updates. Don't have Lightning yet so enjoy...

How do I schedule Ford Power-Up software updates using SYNC®* 4A?
  1. Tap the Vehicle icon on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Tap System Updates.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Problems f442c36e-2205-4a79-9933-8c84d0df298b

4. Press Schedule Updates.
  5. Choose your preferred days and times.
  6. Press Save.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Problems 729fe30b-0743-4f03-b21e-829a174f0630
Notes:
  • For updates that require your vehicle to be turned off, the door locks will remain as they were (locked or unlocked) when the update starts. Personal belonging should be removed from your vehicle or secured.
  • Connecting your vehicle to an external Wi-Fi can help download system updates faster. Learn how to connect to Wi-Fi.
How do I view the Ford Power-Up Software Update details with SYNC®* 4A?
You can verify if the system is up-to-date and see details of the update with SYNC, the FordPass®* App, and Ford Owner.
SYNC 4A
  1. Click on the Vehicle image on your SYNC screen.
  2. Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
  3. Select System Updates. This allows you to view the status and check the update details.
FordPass App
  1. Tap Account in the FordPass App.
  2. Press the Service & Support tab.
  3. Select Over-The-Air Update. This will show you when the last successful Ford Power-Up software update was completed.
If you dismiss a FordPass notification and would like to see this message and its details, you can access it within your FordPass App by visiting the message center.
  1. Tap Account in the FordPass App.
  2. Select Message Center.
Ford Owner
  1. Go to Ford.com/support.
  2. Select MY ACCOUNT.
  3. Click Sign In.
  4. Enter your credentials.
  5. Click Sign In.
  6. Scroll down and look under the Notifications heading. Under Over-The-Air Updates, you can see Ford Power-Up Software Update status notifications for your account.
  7. If available, click on What's in this Update for additional details.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Problems 4248f7c4-0458-4ecc-a4a9-2ad7b7233a41

Back to View Ford Power-Up Software Update Details with SYNC 4A Details main page
Additional Topics
How do I turn off automatic Ford Power-Up Software Updates?
How do I perform manual Ford Power-Up Software Updates?

How do I perform manual Ford Power-Up software updates?
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
My FCSP failures stopped with version .68 delivered on 8/6. Since then, the charge station has not produced errors or the "short sessions" of only 1-2 kWh. It's early, but it does seem as if the issue has been made much better.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My FCSP failures stopped with version .68 delivered on 8/6. Since then, the charge station has not produced errors or the "short sessions" of only 1-2 kWh. It's early, but it does seem as if the issue has been made much better.
Great news, do you have any idea what has changed. Foley had said they were raising the high temp cutoff by 10 degrees I think. WIth all the hot weather out there I was uncertain if this would be enough. On other hand hard to believe they didn't test in all extreme conditions so maybe it was something else, a thermistor calibration ?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great news, do you have any idea what has changed. Foley had said they were raising the high temp cutoff by 10 degrees I think. WIth all the hot weather out there I was uncertain if this would be enough. On other hand hard to believe they didn't test in all extreme conditions so maybe it was something else, a thermistor calibration ?
No idea. I did validate that the truck still charges at the 76-78 amps (as measured via OBD2), so they didn't nerf charging current as far as I can see.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Successful set charging rate to 80 amps via FordPass, and charged 37% last night with no errors. Daytime high here was about 90 yesterday, with charging scheduled to start at 11pm. Finished charging at 2am. FCSP software version 68

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
If you aren’t seeing the update then I would suggest removing the CSP from your FordPass app and then doing a factory reset on the separate “charge station pro setup” app . I then adding everything in again and it’s reporting correctly .

Just for fun I’m charging at 80amps right now and it’s 88 degrees outside . I normally only charge overnight when it’s cooler and electricity is cheaper. Now it's completely charged with 0 errors. I'm impressed, but I'd love to know if it just stopped charging or derated during the charge. Since we no longer have "insights" it's a bit tougher to tell.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I'm seeing version 2.112.68.2.127 as of today but ford pass will not let me increase my rate from 64 back to 80. Keeps failing. Rebooting the device doesn't help either. May have to take the case off the device and do the reset.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Tesla has derated our charging twice without any ramifications - claiming safety and stability - but we all knew the cables were running too hot at 80, 72 and 60. They settled on 48, no lawsuits, no class actions, no payments.
This is not true. Tesla has never reduced the amperage of an existing L2 charger product.

My two Gen2 HPWCs will charge my F150 at 80 amps today - just like they charged my Model S at 80 amps years ago. And notably unlike the Charge Station Pro...

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
@Ford Motor Company Thanks for fixing the 80 amps for most users. Are you guys aware that the fix has also caused the charge station to stop communicating "insights" in the app? This used to be an excellent tool to figure out how much energy has been put into the truck and how much it has cost me in electricity.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just for fun I’m charging at 80amps right now and it’s 88 degrees outside . I normally only charge overnight when it’s cooler and electricity is cheaper. Now it's completely charged with 0 errors. I'm impressed, but I'd love to know if it just stopped charging or derated during the charge. Since we no longer have "insights" it's a bit tougher to tell.
I was able to monitor a few charging sessions using the truck's OBD2 capability and did not see any stopping or current limiting.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This is not true. Tesla has never reduced the amperage of an existing L2 charger product.

My two Gen2 HPWCs will charge my F150 at 80 amps today - just like they charged my Model S at 80 amps years ago. And notably unlike the Charge Station Pro...
While you are technically correct, no existing, in-service WCs we’re de-rated, the gen 3 maxes out at 48A. That’s the largest L2 they sell today.
I‘m glad yours works reliably for you. They all didn’t.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

There are a few cases where some people have claimed impact to them:

1. For those who had very long wiring runs, Tesla placed high-resistance detection in place that cuts the current by 25% if it detects the voltage drops too much in relation to the current. At my in-laws' home, this occurs 80% of the time. Some people kicked and screamed and swore they would never update their car again due to this (and even tried to sue Tesla when the service center pushed new software onto their car to comply with recalls).

2. Tesla used to offer an 80A charging option in the US consisting of dual single-phase 40A chargers (like the Lightning). For European models, 3-phase charging was required and Tesla introduced a new charger that could do 24A*3ph (total 72A). Later, to make things simpler, they also put these same chargers into the US single-phase cars and simply parallelled their inputs. This had the net effect of charging only at 72A instead of 80A. My 2016 X, 2016 S, and 2018 S came with these 72A chargers vs. my 2012 Sig S's 80A.

3. In Model 3 & Y, Tesla decided against offering high-current charging as an option due to the efficiency of these models and charging times at 48A, so they only included a 48A option.

4. Tesla then reduced the current on gen 3 WC's to 48A to align with this, so you can't even get a connector from them anymore for that current level.

The FCSP has never charged anything at 80A, it advertises only 76-78 amps to the vehicle in its duty cycle. Unless a future update comes out to bring it to the full 96% duty cycle, it'll always hang around 77A or so.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Well, at least I got one charging session in without error. Last night I wasn't so lucky. Also no idea why it would think it needed to charge outside my preferred times (11pm-7am) since it was at about 75% when I plugged in. Temps here yesterday were cooler than Monday...
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Problems markup_7867

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was able to monitor a few charging sessions using the truck's OBD2 capability and did not see any stopping or current limiting.
What device are you using and do you recommend that device to the general public? I'm always looking for new toys.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@RainorshinePNW
I also occasionally get the "your truck needs to charge outside of preferred times" . My charging times are 11:00pm-6:00am and my departure time is 6:30 weekdays. It only seems to come up if I have a number of charger errors the day or two before..

I'm going to start a spreadsheet to see i I can deduce exactly what is causing this because it appears with no rhyme or reason.
Sponsored