• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Problems

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
What device are you using and do you recommend that device to the general public? I'm always looking for new toys.
I use Torque Pro, an Android app, which uses a bluetooth-based dongle to interface with the vehicle. There are many options on the dongle (I use the OBDLink MX+ because I need it for my other vehicles requiring CAN access), and there are several options for the app you use (any OBD app that allows you to enter custom PIDs, or that know Ford's EV PIDs). There is FORscan (I believe it can monitor these PIDs), OBDscan, etc.

It isn't the simplest of things to set up, so the average person might be stretched, but there are how-to guides published.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ing-information-data-in-torque-pro-app.11243/
Sponsored

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
@RainorshinePNW
I also occasionally get the "your truck needs to charge outside of preferred times" . My charging times are 11:00pm-6:00am and my departure time is 6:30 weekdays. It only seems to come up if I have a number of charger errors the day or two before..

I'm going to start a spreadsheet to see i I can deduce exactly what is causing this because it appears with no rhyme or reason.
Could it be as simple as If current gets derated overnight might just need extra time?

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Could it be as simple as If current gets derated overnight might just need extra time?
Definitely could be. Although I'm not sure if the FCSP would automatically de-rate the current if it has an error, vs just tripping and trying again? If the physical switch on the FCSP and the slider in the app are both set to a certain amperage, I would hope the FCSP couldn't just choose it's own.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
This is not true. Tesla has never reduced the amperage of an existing L2 charger product.

My two Gen2 HPWCs will charge my F150 at 80 amps today - just like they charged my Model S at 80 amps years ago. And notably unlike the Charge Station Pro...
They have not derated the chargers (although the newest chargers have much slower charge rates than older chargers, 48 amps vs 80 amps) and I did not say that they have. HOWEVER, they have derated the ability of vehicles to charge on Level 2 due to vehicle fires in garages.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
They have not derated the chargers (although the newest chargers have much slower charge rates than older chargers, 48 amps vs 80 amps) and I did not say that they have. HOWEVER, they have derated the ability of vehicles to charge on Level 2 due to vehicle fires in garages.
What vehicles, when?

They did cripple DC charging for cars with the old 85kW batteries - as I'm painfully aware, having traded in a car I loved because that made it too tough to use for many of my trips - and they also briefly slowed the last 12% of charging on L2 for the same cars, but they did undo that latter thing, eventually. To my knowledge, they never limited max charge amperage for AC charging, nor modified the charge curve below 88% when charging on AC.

Tesla's typical unethical behavior (I mean, here we are in 2022 and I never did get all sorts of stuff clearly promised by their written and recorded marketing materials and public statements for my 2015 Model S) shouldn't justify bad behavior by Ford. If the CSPs have a hardware problem, they should recall them and fix it - not paper over it with software that removes functionality.

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
TOM, for the included Mobile Charger, on 240v, do you see this unit drawing the full 30amps, or is that only 'at peak', with the majority of time drawing more like 27-28amps?
Mine is actually rated at 32-amps. I haven't needed to use it yet, actually. However, I fully expect it to deliver 30 to 32-amps continuously, until the vehicle is at a high state of charge.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
What vehicles, when?

They did cripple DC charging for cars with the old 85kW batteries - as I'm painfully aware, having traded in a car I loved because that made it too tough to use for many of my trips - and they also briefly slowed the last 12% of charging on L2 for the same cars, but they did undo that latter thing, eventually. To my knowledge, they never limited max charge amperage for AC charging, nor modified the charge curve below 88% when charging on AC.
Here is the list:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/charge-station-pro-problems.11077/post-243127

I spent a good amount of time with various members of Tesla's charging leadership & engineering group over the years, trying to help explain their reasoning as part of the forums and FAQ (and getting some inside scoops in the process).

Also - initial supercharging was limited for rev A 85 kWh battery packs to 90 kW. My Signature car (first 1,000) ended up getting a reprieve from that after a contactor failure that left me on the roadside. Early Tesla batteries suffered from contactor failures (later changed to beefier versions), and before service centers were given battery tables and instructions to open and replace those contactors, battery packs had to be swapped. I ended up with a rev D battery pack in my P85 which allowed for the full 120 kW (at the time, later 135 kW) charging. This also occurred prior to Tesla's "your pack stays with your car" policy, whereby they'd fit you with a temporary pack until yours was repaired, then swap you back -- I got to keep that brand new pack permanently.

I've since heard that they limited all those packs (rev A through D and maybe even E/F) to 90 kW for other longevity reasons, which is sad -- but that 2012 is long gone, having been totaled by its 2nd owner after 150k or so.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Tesla has derated our charging twice without any ramifications - claiming safety and stability - but we all knew the cables were running too hot at 80, 72 and 60. They settled on 48, no lawsuits, no class actions, no payments. Same thing at Superchargers for older models. Everybody just goes slower now and puts up with it. It seems folks understand that we're in a new era and auto manufacturers are putting stuff out in beta that they think will work as designed, but are learning as they go - so when adjustments are made (in the case of Tesla, both upward in terms of features through OTA, and downward in terms of charging speed, fun stuff like the boombox, reduced AP functionality after idiots climbed in the back seat while filming), we tend to roll with the changes.

Notwithstanding promised features and specs, stuff happens and everyone is doing their best, no one WANTS the charger to miss spec. The first two Tesla wall chargers I received in 2012 and 2013 (Gen I - they are now on Gen 3, but they look pretty much the same) were "recalled" within a couple months and had to be field upgraded with new internals - did it myself - big fuses and fuse busses were sent out with detailed instructions on replacing components - came with the territory for early adopters. Anyone receiving a Lightning in 2022 ought to be fairly flexible in terms of expectations about updates and recalls - we will be getting them. I expect that Ford will be paying a LOT of attention as we learn about the vehicles and will be all over us for service and support - more so than their standard ICE products.

If we wanted everything fully worked through we would have waited a bit - buying the first of any model comes with this risk - but there's only so many breaths in life, and I thoroughly enjoyed the early Tesla experience despite the many bumps and rebuilds/replacements that went with the territory. Tesla STILL has engineering issues, so waiting would have yielded little, and ten years of ownership was a huge life experience. The Lightning isn't nearly as life-changing if you've already had that, but it is still a big deal, one of the coolest things you will ever experience, so let's enjoy and roll with the teething pain. I'm not saying ignore problems, but let's understand they are part of the deal for which we signed.
@PungoteagueDave Dave, I love your attitude. I have to say, it would not be my normal attitude; but reading your post I felt myself calming down sentance, after sentence. Thanks!!

OP
OP
bg226

bg226

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
@bg226 Did ford specify anything that should be done to help the update happen? Obviously it has to be connected to wifi, but did they say to make sure your truck isn't charging between 2:00 and 3:00 am ? I still haven't gotten the update.

They said just to make sure the charger was connected via WiFi. Nothing else was required.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just wanted to throw it out there that after the software update my Charge Station Pro is working perfectly and has not produced a single error. I also see no signs that the CSP is derating.

9FD651FF-9504-4A7E-8109-B8C98C9C4177.jpeg
What does it mean, "Preferred charge amount: 334 mi"? Are you getting 334 miles when fully charged? I'm getting just over 300 (but I'm a not-very-energy-efficient driver, I admit.)

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
What does it mean, "Preferred charge amount: 334 mi"? Are you getting 334 miles when fully charged? I'm getting just over 300 (but I'm a not-very-energy-efficient driver, I admit.)
Yes -- I don't normally charge to 100% but I was doing this to test the charger. So after this charge, my "Guess o meter" said 334 miles. I can get that range sometimes, but other times I'm definitely closer to 300.

I drive about 100 miles a day on average during my busy season (which is right now) . It's a mixture of 40 miles using hands free blue cruise at exactly 79 mph each day and the rest is "around town" driving. I constantly floor it. My wife hates how I drive.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes -- I don't normally charge to 100% but I was doing this to test the charger. So after this charge, my "Guess o meter" said 334 miles. I can get that range sometimes, but other times I'm definitely closer to 300.

I drive about 100 miles a day on average during my busy season (which is right now) . It's a mixture of 40 miles using hands free blue cruise at exactly 79 mph each day and the rest is "around town" driving. I constantly floor it. My wife hates how I drive.
Based on how you drive, I'm impressed with the 334 miles!!!

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Based on how you drive, I'm impressed with the 334 miles!!!
Me too .. the lightning is the real deal though . Now that the charger is fixed I have absolutely 0 complaints . It’s an excellent work truck , it’s faster than all of the mustangs I’ve owned . No issue with payload. Can tow my skidsteers locally with no issue. Looks great . Zero range concern . Tech is great. Just want some more PowerUp updates and phone as a key . Love.this.truck.
Sponsored