• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Lightning ER on 50A Circuit with L2 Charger

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
If I have a 50 amp circuit breaker. Could I simply replace it with a 60 amp to get the usable 48amp charge rate from my charger?
You would need to replace the wire with the breaker. 60 amps requires heavier wire than 50
Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Why do any of that? It can be changed from within the app but also the truck can just be limited to a couple hour charging window. There's no benefit to slowing the charging down to take up the entire 6 hour low rate TOU and seems like it would just introduce additional, unnecessary charging overhead.

But most importantly, the 60A EVSEs won't work with the 3 AWG wire the Charge Station Pro required because the lugs aren't going to be sized for that. The lugs on the Charge Station Pro itself are barely large enough :)
Same equation for KWH everywhere in the universe (although the "H" would be different in a black hole)

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I'm using 2AWG on my FCSP. I'm swapping this out for 4 or 6 AWG for the Tesla Universal Connector.

The reason for the switch isn't to "use the whole charge window." I'm switching because I prefer the Tesla charger since the FCSP doesn't reliably charge my Tesla and I don't need 80amps of charge speed, which only the Lightning can even use.

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
I'm using 2AWG on my FCSP. I'm swapping this out for 4 or 6 AWG for the Tesla Universal Connector.

The reason for the switch isn't to "use the whole charge window." I'm switching because I prefer the Tesla charger since the FCSP doesn't reliably charge my Tesla and I don't need 80amps of charge speed, which only the Lightning can even use.
You don't have to change wire to use smaller breaker

Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm going the other direction. If you want to swap your FCSP and wiring for my 60A openEVSE and whip with some cash I could meet you somewhere in San Diego.

I went back and forth on this because I had my FCSP out in the desert and my 60A in LA and there's only been a few times when I've come in with around 20% and needed to go somewhere pretty quickly. The CCS connector is clunky if you're not using the truck for power backup but any other 80A EVSE is prohibitively expensive compared to the FCSP.
Hit me up if you want me FCSP. I already have my replacement Tesla universal wall connector ready to install.

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
When I went to test drive my Lariat yesterday before taking possession, dealer told me that the Ford rep told them this week to recommend charging to between only 40 and 60% SOC, unless cold weather season or on a trip. I was under the impression that 20-80% was fine. Anyone hear this?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
When I went to test drive my Lariat yesterday before taking possession, dealer told me that the Ford rep told them this week to recommend charging to between only 40 and 60% SOC, unless cold weather season or on a trip. I was under the impression that 20-80% was fine. Anyone hear this?
Charge to 90% daily so that you're ready on a moments notice to bug out

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You do (at least at the ends) if the wire wonā€™t fit the lugs.
100%. The 60amp breaker supports up to 4 AWG and same with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. Hence, replacing the 2AWG.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
What are people's experiences charging the Lightning ER on a L2 Charger limited to 50A circuit?
How many more hours to go from 15% TO 80/100%
Thanks,
I believe Ford is still providing an 80 Amp charger for all buyers of ER lightnings.

SunRun will charge a, seemingly, standard $1,500 fee for setting up a 100 AMP (100% copper, I repeat 100% copper) line and hardwire to your Ford Charger.

Some electricians have installed using copper clad (not 100% copper) and it has caused issues. Please aware of that.

Sponsored

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I believe Ford is still providing an 80 Amp charger for all buyers of ER lightnings.

SunRun will charge a, seemingly, standard $1,500 fee for setting up a 100 AMP (100% copper, I repeat 100% copper) line and hardwire to your Ford Charger.

Some electricians have installed using copper clad (not 100% copper) and it has caused issues. Please aware of that.
they still come with the ER but believe that changes for 2024 model year. Just had mine installed 2 weeks ago by Sunrurn... in TX it was $1,250 if no additional work is required and charger is installed within around 5ft or so of your panel.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thatā€˜s nuts. The ampacity of CCA is the same as aluminum, meaning #1 is needed for 100A, which wonā€™t even fit in the terminals.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thatā€˜s nuts. The ampacity of CCA is the same as aluminum, meaning #1 is needed for 100A, which wonā€™t even fit in the terminals.
You may enjoy an internet search on 'Ford 80 amp charger installation issues' or something like that. You'll see what I'm saying.

I am not an electrician, but as explained in a few videos, the non-100% copper wires will overheat, and the charger will detect the heat and shutdown. When re-wired with 100% copper as the installation manual states is necessary, the chargers will work fine according to the videos.

That said, I have no empirical knowledge, just what some have reported.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You may enjoy an internet search on 'Ford 80 amp charger installation issues' or something like that. You'll see what I'm saying.

I am not an electrician, but as explained in a few videos, the non-100% copper wires will overheat, and the charger will detect the heat and shutdown. When re-wired with 100% copper as the installation manual states is necessary, the chargers will work fine according to the videos.

That said, I have no empirical knowledge, just what some have reported.
Sorryā€¦.my ā€œThatā€™s nutsā€ comment wasnā€™t about your post, itā€˜s my feeling about an electrician using CCA wire. Iā€™d never use it for anything!

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorryā€¦.my ā€œThatā€™s nutsā€ comment wasnā€™t about your post, itā€˜s my feeling about an electrician using CCA wire. Iā€™d never use it for anything!
I did not think you were being rude or any such thing. Please have no concern. I do appreciate that you ensured all was good with me. Thanks.

I don't know much about wiring. So, I enjoyed learning from the videos. I did not know, and some electricians seem to not know, about the issues too.
Sponsored