• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chest fridge for frunk

starrtech2000

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER 511a
Does the ProPower in the frunk stay on with the truck off?
Sponsored

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Does the ProPower in the frunk stay on with the truck off?
No the Truck needs to be on for my 23 Lariot, perhaps a software update in the future @ford.com.

starrtech2000

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER 511a
No the Truck needs to be on for my 23 Lariot, perhaps a software update in the future @ford.com.
Damn, that’s so frustrating. Way to make a great feature SIGNIFICANTLY less useful.

Anyone know if there is a way to lock the Lightning with it turned on in accessory mode with the power ports on? Some cars don’t let you do that these days.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I'm not 100% positive, but I think accessory mode would kill the little 12V battery if left on too long.

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
The lightning (like every other EV on the market) disconnects the high voltage battery with a contactor. That contactor is only on when the vehicle is powered on. I believe its a safety design on all EVs.
The lightning's 120/240v power ports are powered from the high voltage battery.

So don't expect a software update for that. The 120/240v ports will ONLY work with the truck turned on.
Having said that. You can turn off the auto off timer, turn off the headlights, put the display in "quiet mode", lock the truck and leave it.

Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
The lightning (like every other EV on the market) disconnects the high voltage battery with a contactor. That contactor is only on when the vehicle is powered on. I believe its a safety design on all EVs.

So don't expect a software update for that. The 120/240v ports will ONLY work with the truck turned on.
Having said that. You can turn off the auto off timer, turn off the headlights, put the display in "quiet mode", lock the truck and leave it.
I didn't think of that, the outlets wont work unless the truck is started.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Along those lines, a software update can be made for a mode that simplifies those settings. That's essentially what Tesla's Pet mode and Rivian's Camp mode does. It leaves the truck on, and selects certain things and/or systems to shut off (ie, HVAC, interior lighting, screen) or in the simplest trigger remote start but allow a single door open. That would at least minimize the amount of things to turn off/on to utilize the Pro Power for an extended period of time.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I use the Bouge RV 30 like several others have mentioned. It doesn’t have any heat issues working in the Frunk.

We also use it in the “basement” of our Model Y. That is a much tighter fit and it will get warm in there, but if you leave the trunk floor panel propped open it is fine for hours. We drove PA to CO and back (14 hr days) and it was great. The Tesla keeps power to it if you put the car on Dog Mode. I can’t wait until Ford gets dog mode in the Lightning.

I did the same road trip in the Lightning and took an induction burner along as well as a hot water kettle. Very convenient at a charging stop to cook up a quick meal and replenish the coffee!

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Has anyone tried tying a frunk cooler to the 12V battery so the cooler continues to cool when the vehicle is off?

Minimizing the extra overhead of turning on the DC/DC converter would be helpful. The OEM battery is 35 Ah (420 Wh). A cooler might draw 300 Wh/day. Updgrading the 12V battery to 720 Wh (60 Ah) would add a days' battery capacity for a portable cooler with the truck automatically activating the DC/DC converter once per day to maintain it.

The Lightning OEM size is H3. There is an H6 (48) AGM interstate battery from Costco with 70Ah for $170 + $15. The interstate site identified H6 for 2022 F-150 ICE (with no option for Lightning on their search). Weight increases from 27 lbs to 45.4 lbs (+18.4 lbs).

It looks like there's a lot of space in the Lightning's battery spot. Though, you'd have to improvise a new tray to hold it in place.

The Yeti 300 is $240 on sale (+$55) and lighter at 13.7 lbs (-4.7 lbs), so maybe it's not worth upgrading the vehicle's 12V battery if you use a solar panel or are around to activate the outlets once a day.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Haven’t tried that, but my solution is to use a battery box (aka solar generator, aka Jackey etc) in between my cooler and the pro power. I’ve just got a small 256 Wh unit that does well. It can keep the cooler running all night (as long as it’s not too hot out) and can recharge in 2-3 hours when the truck is on.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I use the Jackery with our Dometic CFX75 but I don't believe it will fit the frunk. It's quite large. I plug it into a jackery and then charge the jackery with either solar or the truck. I can run the fridge off the jackery (1000 explorer - 1000wh/1kw) for approx. 12-16 hours. Beats leaving the pro-power on at night.

What I need to figure out is how to make sure the darn lights (lightbar and rear lights) can stay off. At a camp site, getting up in the middle of the night, the trucks lights up and creates so much light at the site.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Its been speculated generator mode is coming. Who knows when. That mode will allow you to power all outlets without the truck being fully on.

Leaving the truck running, while turning off the vehicle shut down timer is a simple temporary fix. Just put the dash on calm mode (I use a cloth to cover it further) and turn your Sync screen to off. We left the truck running for power and climate control for 5 days while camping. It was awesome, something ICE vehicles can't safely do due to exhaust.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
We use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NCZF438 plugged into the 120v outlet in the truck bed. Really like it. It cools down from 100 dF to 5 dF in less than 25 minutes. It has an app so you can monitor the temp and voltage while traveling.

ijustice

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat
Occupation
Baller
This is my set up. I only plug it in when I'm using it and it gets cool pretty quick. I've only had this since February so no hot temp challenges so far but it's been great for food shopping. It's not huge but does the job. The mesh thing prevents it from bouncing around while driving.
Ford F-150 Lightning Chest fridge for frunk tempImagelITk6W

https://www.costco.com/.product.1666589.html?emid=transactional_ordershipped_product

Phantom 30-liter Portable Electric Cooler

Item 1666589

Model QN30

13FT 12V Female Cigarette Lighter Socket Battery Eyelet Ring Terminal 12volt Extension Cord Outlet Adapter Plug Power Supply Car Electrical Dc Cigarettes Charger Accessory Connector Kit 15Fuse(13FT)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMH3R8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
We use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NCZF438 plugged into the 120v outlet in the truck bed. Really like it. It cools down from 100 dF to 5 dF in less than 25 minutes. It has an app so you can monitor the temp and voltage while traveling.
I have a similar one. Actually, I have 3 different portal coolers. Why? I have no idea..

1) Coleman 40qt Thermoelectric: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PowerChill-Portable-Thermoelectric-Cooler/dp/B0083F8YZC/

It’s a good cooler, a bad fridge. It’s great if you want to maintain temperature but terrible if you want to bring temps down. I would only recommend using this inside the cab, and it’s too big to fit in the frunk

2) CHO 52 Liter: https://a.co/d/7wntO9k
Works well in moderate climate. Really struggled in the bed, under the tonneau cover in Florida sun and heat.

We really like this one for picnics, or situations where I can just pull this down and wheel it off, is perfect for using as a fridge at hotels without having to unpack it.

3) Apricool CF55: Alpicool CF55 Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XK76759

Similar to the one posted above, we absolutely love the performance of this one. We rarely move it, it’s too big to fit in the frunk but it’s great for passenger side rear seat. But 99% of the time it stays in the middle of our Model X.

We use it all the time, keeping drinks in the separated section and loading it up when we go to Costco.

The CF35 should fit in the frunk, and I like this enough that I’ve been considering picking up a 35 for the frunk
Sponsored