• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Diesel heater(new video of it running)

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Look at the temp in the top right. I'm also towing a trailer

20221102_082846.jpg
Maybe eventually you can get some data collection going and measure the difference with and without the aux heater? Hard to tell what you're saving in this case because of the trailer (190 mile range might be pretty good depending on what you're towing -- I assume you have the ER truck).

Interesting that battery heating is only 6% which seems quite good for that temp. Did you precondition the battery?

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Maybe eventually you can get some data collection going and measure the difference with and without the aux heater? Hard to tell what you're saving in this case because of the trailer (190 mile range might be pretty good depending on what you're towing -- I assume you have the ER truck).

Interesting that battery heating is only 6% which seems quite good for that temp. Did you precondition the battery?
Yes left home battery was 20 degrees and after dcfc at 50% it was up to 30

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I would be interested in efficiency of heater. 1 gallon of diesel is the same energy as around 40kWh. Efficiency will directly impact diesel heat output and addition to the system. A typical efficiency in this type of system is likely 20-30% even though the heater might claim to be 70%. Meaning you are only adding 8-12kWh to the system for every gallon burned.

This is a really neat idea for cold climate vehicles. My guess is that based on the laws or thermodynamics, energy and cost it doesn’t pencil out however if the goal is to maximize battery available for driving and not turning into a popsicle it hits the mark.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I would be interested in efficiency of heater. 1 gallon of diesel is the same energy as around 40kWh. Efficiency will directly impact diesel heat output and addition to the system. A typical efficiency in this type of system is likely 20-30% even though the heater might claim to be 70%. Meaning you are only adding 8-12kWh to the system for every gallon burned.

This is a really neat idea for cold climate vehicles. My guess is that based on the laws or thermodynamics, energy and cost it doesn’t pencil out however if the goal is to maximize battery available for driving and not turning into a popsicle it hits the mark.
Not really. The efficiency of burning anything to generate HEAT ENERGY is very high. You might be thinking of the efficiency of burning gas to generate MECHANICAL energy. A decent burner system should get 90%+ of the energy in the form of heat.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Last edited:

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Not really. The efficiency of burning anything to generate HEAT ENERGY is very high. You might be thinking of the efficiency of burning gas to generate MECHANICAL energy. A decent burner system should get 90%+ of the energy in the form of heat.
This is not a burner heater system it is a heat exchanger system. You need to optimize the exchanger surface area and flow rates with the temp in and out to get anywhere close to 90%.

you can do some quick rudimentary calcs but need to know some temperatures. Take the volume of the cabin and starting temperature. Run a specific quantity of fuel through the heater, heating the cabin and measure the new end temperature. You know the energy equivalent of the diesel burned and the energy that made it to the cabin by way of the temperature change and volume of air.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
This is not a burner heater system it is a heat exchanger system. You need to optimize the exchanger surface area and flow rates with the temp in and out to get anywhere close to 90%.

you can do some quick rudimentary calcs but need to know some temperatures. Take the volume of the cabin and starting temperature. Run a specific quantity of fuel through the heater, heating the cabin and measure the new end temperature. You know the energy equivalent of the diesel burned and the energy that made it to the cabin by way of the temperature change and volume of air.
From the picture, it looks like a hydronic heating system like RVers use. I don't know which exact system he's using, but you can get hydronic systems with 87% thermal efficiency or higher. In this case, he's using a 'boiler' to just heat the glycol and then relying on the trucks heat exchanger to warm the air.

Hard to say what the efficiency of this particular setup is, but in theory with proper design you can get very high efficiency.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Try running your truck in winter with no cabin heat at all. You still wont get anywhere near the rated range. Cabin heat is a relatively small portion of winter range degradation.
man, i dissagree to that completely, if you preheat your cabin it presets the battery temp to 20 degrees, if you dcfc even in winter its heating my battery up to 30 deg, theres no way the ambiant temp is effecting the battery that much if the truck does its job. i drove 300km yesterday with climate controll using 0%

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
man, i dissagree to that completely, if you preheat your cabin it presets the battery temp to 20 degrees, if you dcfc even in winter its heating my battery up to 30 deg, theres no way the ambiant temp is effecting the battery that much if the truck does its job. i drove 300km yesterday with climate controll using 0%
Typical EV battery temp vs capacity curve:

Ford F-150 Lightning Diesel heater(new video of it running) 18FE689E-9690-4A41-B42E-87C5F2EA0477

Sure, preconditioning mitigates this initially, but on a long trip, battery power will be used to keep the battery comfy.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

18FE689E-9690-4A41-B42E-87C5F2EA0477.jpeg

Sure, preconditioning mitigates this initially, but on a long trip, battery power will be used to keep the battery comfy.
I'm sad to say it doesn't. I watch it on my car scanner it preheat than shuts off till it's plugged in again

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
This is killer! I have thought about doing this as well, as we've installed a few on boats. Kudos on the mod.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

18FE689E-9690-4A41-B42E-87C5F2EA0477.jpeg

That depends on a lot of factors. The battery generates heat itself as it's used so if it generates enough heat to keep it warm without extra warming then no extra battery usage. This depends on how well it's insulated against outside temps and other factors.
Sponsored