• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Driving behind an annoying Lightning

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Yesterday I was behind another Lightning and his brake light was constantly on/off/on/off ...... We were on the highway in moderate traffic. Not a stop and go situation but a 50-60 mph with normal slowing for entering and exiting drivers. The brake light was just on and off every few seconds. I'm guessing one pedal mode with full release and then back on, over and over again. I was glancing at mine in the mirror and it was not doing it.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yesterday I was behind another Lightning and his brake light was constantly on/off/on/off ...... We were on the highway in moderate traffic. Not a stop and go situation but a 50-60 mph with normal slowing for entering and exiting drivers. The brake light was just on and off every few seconds. I'm guessing one pedal mode with full release and then back on, over and over again. I was glancing at mine in the mirror and it was not doing it.
They are probably still learning to modulate the accelerator, thereā€™s a point at the top that the lights will come on even without taking your foot off of it. Itā€™s the reason I am all the way in the right lane if Iā€™m trying to regen.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I once rode on the highway with guy who couldnā€™t hold his foot steady. He would let off the pedal, the speed would drop 10 mph or so, then heā€™d accelerate back up. On repeat at about 10-15 second intervals. It drove me freaking nuts.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I once rode on the highway with guy who couldnā€™t hold his foot steady. He would let off the pedal, the speed would drop 10 mph or so, then heā€™d accelerate back up. On repeat at about 10-15 second intervals. It drove me freaking nuts.
Oh, that's just my youngest son. He's harmless. Just give him some distance. We're hoping by the time he hits 30, he'll have this whole speed control thing down pat.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I'd guess it's more likely to be a moron that keeps their left foot on the brake.
I had an aunt that drove that way, two feet and alternating gas and brake. If I didnā€™t need the ride I would have walked.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I had an aunt that drove that way, two feet and alternating gas and brake. If I didnā€™t need the ride I would have walked.
Lots of people drive with their foot on the brake, and the brake light on the entire time.

My grandmother used to step on gas, come off, step on gas, come off, step on gas. I remember the ride from airport when she picked me up and I lurched back and forth while she told me not to marry my wife because she was of a different faith. I married her anyway, should have driven better...

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
alternative explanation: from the Light bar recall notice FMC sent to NTSA. " Ford identified elevated warranty report rates of moisture in the rear lightbar and reported that certain claims indicated inoperative or flickering rear supplemental tail lamps and reverse lamps.

Attachments

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
early on, I was pulled over by my neighborly Georgia State Trooper - he said "son, you went thru 6 different lights over the last several miles, with me RIGHT BEHIND YOU, and never ONCE did your brake light ever come on, not ONCE at any of the red lights - Son, you have a problem with your brake lights"....

"sir" I said politely, while smiling, "no disrespect, but I never APPLIED my brakes thru Any of those lights, since I actually Never Came To A Stop at any of them - this is an EV truck, which uses it's regeneration of the motor, when slowing, to bring you 'almost' to a stop, and many times, as you've seen today, may NEVER actually require you to hit the brakes to come to a complete stop - the lights all turned GREEN before I ever got to that point..." and I smiled again, politely.

He looked around, he stuttered for a moment, then he SMILED - "son, I've learned something NEW today. I will report this to my whole REGION at the next education meeting coming up soon" "thanks, and you are welcomed to be on your way" : )

That was a really nice moment, but it does also show that these vehicles have differing characteristics when it comes to what other drivers might see and expect from YOUR vehicle... I'll bet that many folks get a little annoyed when my truck, in SPORT mode, slows much more rapidly than their's does when coming to a light, and yet they see NO braking.
I also let off my drive pedal probably much earlier than most - I don't 'rush' to red lights.

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost Lariat 2WD
One Pedal Driving: The brake lights are activated by a negative value longitudinal acceleration detected by onboard accelerometers.

If you are only lifting off for light regeneration, you probably arenā€™t activating the brake lights. If youā€™re lifting off enough for moderate or full regeneration, youā€™re definitely activating the brake lights. Iā€™m unsure of the regulatory G force value but itā€™s probably around -0.2 Gā€™s Longitudinal.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
One Pedal Driving: The brake lights are activated by a negative value longitudinal acceleration detected by onboard accelerometers.

If you are only lifting off for light regeneration, you probably arenā€™t activating the brake lights. If youā€™re lifting off enough for moderate or full regeneration, youā€™re definitely activating the brake lights. Iā€™m unsure of the regulatory G force value but itā€™s probably around -0.2 Gā€™s Longitudinal.
This is the most educational post of the day.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I do wish Ford would give a brake light indicator on the dash. I know it isn't truly needed for many, but I think it would help some realize. Those that go all in accelerate and then just come completely off. There is an in-between.