• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Driving in snow?

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The weight distribution in the Lightning is pretty good so all wheel drive works good in snow. With snows designed for ice conditions ( a lot of sipes on soft rubber) you feel secure in most conditions.
Sponsored

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Reapplying the accelerator is going to be much faster, and I imagine some would argue more controllable.

The ideal solution is for the computers to recognize that regen has locked up the wheels and lessen the regen (anti-lock regen). Newer cars may have this. I've only experienced the situation on my old 2015 Model S. I have not had a chance to test the Lightning in snow yet. Maybe someone else can comment.

The second best option, imo, is to not get into the regen skid in the first place by setting the regen to be less aggressive (i.e. not 1-pedal) and then rely on standard snow braking best practices.
I think maybe I'll test this out today - we finally got snow in Thunder Bay, Ontario . . . . .Here is what it looks like today (ps - I havn't got snow tires yet, those are the factory all -seasons)
Ford F-150 Lightning Driving in snow? Screenshot 2024-01-06 130731

Last edited by a moderator:

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
I think maybe I'll test this out today - we finally got snow in Thunder Bay, Ontario . . . . .Here is what it looks like today (ps - I havn't got snow tires yet, those are the factory all -seasons)
Screenshot 2024-01-06 130731.png
Nice! Looking forward to the report.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you start to slide due to regenerative braking, wouldn't a good idea be to just take the Lightning out of Drive and put it in Neutral?
Never shift to neutral! Always maintain control.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Were you able to get the truck to slip with regen braking? My intuition is it would be relatively easy to program an electric motor not to slip. Wheel speed, accelerometers, gps speed. Lots of ways to do it.

Sponsored

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
Normal mode most of the time, though I do like the extra regenerative braking/slowing that Sport Mode allows. I just Sport Mode more on drives down the mountains as a substitute for 1-pedal.
I see this take all the time. Sport mode and 1-pedal are not mutually exclusive: you can use 1, both, or neither. I’m not sure why everyone compares using Sport mode or 1-pedal.

I haven’t taken mine in snow yet, but I imagine 1-pedal with normal mode would be best since it gives you a more damped down throttle response and slightly weaker regen.

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
Great in the snow and ice here. Use the third driver mode, without one pedal, for slippery weather driving. I bought mine in Alabama year ago December. Drove cross country to Oregon in some pretty bad weather for my very first trip. Truck was awesome, had some dc charging adventures in Midwest at -4°, but only issue was air dam froze in down position.

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Never shift to neutral! Always maintain control.
I respectfully disagree. Sometimes on a corner where you have lost traction, shifting to Neutral is WHAT GIVES YOU STEERING CONTROL. This has saved me going in the ditch on more than few occasions.

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Were you able to get the truck to slip with regen braking? My intuition is it would be relatively easy to program an electric motor not to slip. Wheel speed, accelerometers, gps speed. Lots of ways to do it.
I confess I havn't tested this yet, I have to find the right opportunity . . . .

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I confess I havn't found an opportunity to do this yet.

Sponsored

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It doesn't snow a lot in NJ anymore but it appears that there may be a storm coming this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for which driving mode to use while driving in the snow. I am not only new to the Lighnong family but to pickups in general so any advice would be helpful.
In my experience after 1.5 winters with this vehicle: the Lightning is amazing in the snow and ice. Much better than my previous ICE F-150. Of course you need good winters just like any vehicle. And the back will still slide if accelerating too much on a turn - typical of pickups, but not to the same degree as ICE pickups where there is more weight up front.

I run studded winters (I know high rolling resistant tires on an EV). I haven't experienced any slide due to regenerative braking and my feeling is that if you're sliding with regen braking you're probably going way to fast. Normal mode is the way to go. A winter mode that reduced jerk on the accelerator would be a cool feature.

A couple months ago I drove my family through a snow storm with black ice everywhere. Semi-trucks were driving at reduced speed and occasionally sliding. We were able to get past them safely in the passing lanes.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Well, I got a good test this morning. My brother in law called and asked if I thought I could pull his ICE F150 out of the ditch. He slid in front-first. Truck was at about a 20 degree incline. It looked bad. The road was obviously very slick or he would be in this predicament. I backed up to him, connected a strap between our hitches. I selected off road mode and locked the differential. It was the easiest extraction I’ve ever done. The only reason I slipped at all was initially because i wasn’t perfectly in line with the direction his truck was pointing. Lightning for the win! I didn’t have time to safely snap a picture.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
That's a stunning F-150 Lighting, Terry! Be sure to use the right drive mode, each mode has its own distinct look displayed on the instrument cluster. That way you know which you've selected for your snowy adventure.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
I got to try out some slippery driving today. Well packed snow, but not pure ice. I left it in normal 1-pedal driving just for fun and I tried to get it to slip by letting off the accelerator quickly. It never slipped and felt and sounded completely normal with normal steering control. I even thought it must not be that slippery so I tested by applying a lot of brakes. The anti-locks kicked in and the truck slid a long ways as the AL did its thing. I repeated both ways several times and the AL was awful and the 1P was "normal". I am a convert to 1-pedal in slippery conditions.

N87

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 FL
Occupation
Engineer
I had the same experience during our first snowfall of the year, yesterday. One pedal driving was impressive, no slipping and normal stopping distance.
Sponsored