• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
@Jesse-Infotainment Any chance you can take a look at the info on my truck and give me your opinion of where I stand. Vin #1FTFW1ED5MFC06184. I had it in for the TSB to fix the OTA Update issue. The dealer is getting the U3000 error and says I need a new APIM.
Yeah they screwed it up. I am betting they didnt have the appropriate cables. They failed everytime they tried and now its worse off than it started. A new apim isnt going to help anything.
Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR, 4X4, AMB, FX4
Occupation
Retired
Yeah they screwed it up. I am betting they didnt have the appropriate cables. They failed everytime they tried and now its worse off than it started. A new apim isnt going to help anything.
That's not what I wanted to hear. They ordered in the cables and my truck was their first attempt at the TSB repair. That was probably a big mistake on my part. I'm headed out to pick it up. Hope it is still drivable.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That's not what I wanted to hear. They ordered in the cables and my truck was their first attempt at the TSB repair. That was probably a big mistake on my part. I'm headed out to pick it up. Hope it is still drivable.
Oh its drivable and fixable. It jsut needs to have the repair ran correctly now and you should be good to go. @Slappy McGee made a video going through the process. I watched the video and its a good representation of the process. I wouldnt trust these dealers to put air in my tires. They are F ING WORTHLESS!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Oh its drivable and fixable. It jsut needs to have the repair ran correctly now and you should be good to go. @Slappy McGee made a video going through the process. I watched the video and its a good representation of the process. I wouldnt trust these dealers to put air in my tires. They are F ING WORTHLESS!
I did watch that and was encouraged when Slappy made mistakes and then regrouped, went at it again and persevered.

One thing I didn't understand though was the arrangement of all the cables. Why was there a need for a double ended USB A pigtail and then the USB A to...was it a USB micro? Or B adapter? and then the whole USB to Ethernet thing....that part lost me I'm afraid.

Mike

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did watch that and was encouraged when Slappy made mistakes and then regrouped, went at it again and persevered.

One thing I didn't understand though was the arrangement of all the cables. Why was there a need for a double ended USB A pigtail and then the USB A to...was it a USB micro? Or B adapter? and then the whole USB to Ethernet thing....that part lost me I'm afraid.

Mike
I dont know. He tried the usb and it didnt work, the ethernet did. So I would have both ready and go with whatever works.

Sponsored
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4

Mike
I completed the update using his video but I got stuck with the ethernet adapters. Ford doesn't recognize all USB adapters so I used the one he recommended below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9df18444&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&th=1

and this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178HOTOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now just like him I didn't have an ethernet port on my laptop so I needed both. If you have a connection on your laptop you can get away with just the recommended ethernet adapter. You will still need all the additional recommended pieces. SB 2.0 A Female to USB B Mini 5 Pin Female Adapter Converter. USB 2.0 male to male. A 32 GB USB thumb drive and a mongoose. Below is what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KKXP3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0986KYVGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K84CT17/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR, 4X4, AMB, FX4
Occupation
Retired
I just picked it up. Other than loosing a few presets, radio, seats, phone, everything seems to be the same.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just picked it up. Other than loosing a few presets, radio, seats, phone, everything seems to be the same.
Yeah.. IT will be fine youll just need to go about it yourself and take your time.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
are you saying this is a possible solution to the failed ota updates the job 1 trucks are seeing? cause ive been having the greyed out update button and no version number. i just tried the reset process with my mx+ and forscan lite and it brought back my update button and number. i'll see what happens.

*edit: gone again 30 min later.
If you're seeing the greyed out update option, you need to follow the TSB to fix it. I don't think there's any other way to reliably get out of that, as you saw yourself. It may come out of that setup briefly, but it will go back eventually.

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
Have Powerboost.

Saw the PCM as others noted. Now, the ONLY module I had outstanding is the BECM. So upon checking FRDS, I had three modules. GSM, PCM and BECM.

I was thinking to myself... I wonder if this PCM update is going to chain the BECM. Yes, yes it did.

PCM updated no problem but the BECM failed to due to some missing config data (which I have previously seen and posted about). Same message.

Thanks to some help from Jesse he determined that some of my as built data was... missing regarding the BECM. Not the slighest idea why and it seems to be naughty about checking in with the mothership.

After the PCM/BECM update, both of those modules were gone.

Everything checked in and is happy green. I didn't drive it since we have storms moving through. I was checking the module data and the BECM still all looked the same. I didn't get a good bead on the PCM prior to flashing.

I only have 7 days of FRDS left so I will have to keep an eye on it.

Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost

Mike
FDRS asked me for both cables. It seemed (this is me guessing) like the USB to USB cable out the APIM into some kind of special mode, and then the Ethernet cable loaded some new software. Perhaps it was something like a boot loader where the APIM tried to do a boot over Ethernet but again that’s just me guessing.

According to the TSB you might only need one of the cables but I definitely needed both.

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
FDRS asked me for both cables. It seemed (this is me guessing) like the USB to USB cable out the APIM into some kind of special mode, and then the Ethernet cable loaded some new software. Perhaps it was something like a boot loader where the APIM tried to do a boot over Ethernet but again that’s just me guessing.

According to the TSB you might only need one of the cables but I definitely needed both.
This was my experience. First I tried the Ethernet but it didn’t like it. Then I tried again with the usb pigtail. That got me one step in. Then it didn’t like the usb pigtail anymore, so I switched to the ethernet again and it completed the procedure. Had to download a special driver too. I don’t have an Ethernet port on my laptop, just usb-c.

It felt so janky going mini usb female->usb A female->usb to Ethernet->ethernet->Ethernet to usb-c but it worked!

JaHoova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew XLT Powerboost
It also asked me for both cables. Had to abort and retry a few times until I realized that those USB hub with ethernet ports don't work on the truck side. Needs to just be ethernet and nothing else.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Activations are overrated.
I got to thinking about this recently, especially when Ford first announced it they said it was going to be an "activation/subscription" to make it all work. Seems like here recently all it really is, is certain software versions that either enable or disable it. I think you just proved that!

You should be very happy. I was when I got there. Its a great system and works fantastic. Very well done and I am sending you things to look at for the speed sign recognition.
Yes, I was pumped all day using it! Thanks!!!

"Steve"

First Name
"Steve"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
anyone got a pic handy of the 5pin adapter connection. want to make sure i have the right one.

*edit. this it, right?

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS 20220413_073210
Sponsored

Last edited: