• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150 Lightning as an Urban Assault Vehicle

marcoetche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vw golf sportwagen
I live in a big city in a very dense downtown area. I have a lightning coming soon, but want to understand it’s ability to do urban assault activities (such as
1. popping curbs,
2. speed bumps,
3. accelerating/decelerating at a gazillion stop signs,
4. turn radius - how many lanes do you need to pull a U turn?,
5. parking - is it impossible to find a space large enough?
6. car wash - can it fit in an auto car wash? (im a first time truck buyer),
7. anything else im missing!

Thanks!
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I live in a big city in a very dense downtown area. I have a lightning coming soon, but want to understand it’s ability to do urban assault activities (such as
1. popping curbs,
2. speed bumps,

Thanks!
Here is the link to the Cybertruck forums

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/

Good Luck

Don’t forget to pop your collar

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
1. popping curbs,
2. speed bumps,

Thanks!
1. I've heard of folks popping tires, especially on sharp granite curbing we have in New England.

2. It goes over them fine, suspension is a bit wallowy

3. Hole shots are my favorite, though it tends to attract the local Gendarmes.

4. New England streets are narrow in most places, mastery of the three point turn in an apocalypse would be a required skill.

5. Fit's in most parking lot's though I like to be antisocial and park way out so knuckleheads aren't dinging my doors

6. Fit standard car wash just fine.

7. ??

Sponsored
OP
OP

marcoetche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vw golf sportwagen
Stupid questions get stupid answers.

;)
Maybe y’all don’t see the value in popping curbs, but i do on a construction site (im in real estate development). ev’s have different tires and the lightning is on an independent suspension setup. im failing to see this is a stupid question.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
Maybe y’all don’t see the value in popping curbs, but i do on a construction site (im in real estate development). ev’s have different tires and the lightning is on an independent suspension setup. im failing to see this is a stupid question.
It's a truck. It'll be fine. Different tires meant for heavier vehicle. They're still tires. Do with as you wish.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
but i do on a construction site (im in real estate development).
Would have never guessed with the thread title........ :eek:

All terrain tires are probably more durable for light off roading around unfinished subdivisions.

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I don't think I would be popping curbs in construction sites. In our area, if there are no close curb cuts the crews put down make shift ramps to go over the curbs so they don't damage them or their equipment. Mainly for heavy equipment but works well for crew trucks too since the wearing course is not down and the curbs are higher than normal.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Wasn't sure if this post was entirely serious at first, but based on your replies it seems that it is.

If you work construction and you're familiar with standard half ton pickups, the Lightning really is just a more refined, electric F150. Which is one of several reasons why I love it.

Personally, I've never owned a truck before, but I'm no stranger to large/long vehicles as my first vehicle was a 2004 Town Car and I have owned a 79 Continental for years. The Continental is within a half inch of the length of the Lightning. The only thing that took a week or two of adjustment was the Lightning (being an F150) is much wider than any of the very large sedans I've owned. Oh and I guess for me adjusting to the height was an issue as well as I never worried about parking garage clearance before, but now I'm acutely aware of how most of the parking garages in downtown Pittsburgh are a few inches too short to accommodate my Lightning.

So I guess TL;DR: It's wider than I was previously used to, and it was taller than any vehicle I'd previously owned, so parking garage clearance was suddenly a concern. But it's a truck and if you're used to trucks, you should feel right at home.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Turning radius can be found in Ford's specs. It's a large truck. Personally, I would never own a truck if I lived in a downtown, or worked in a downtown.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
"Popping" curbs to me is very different than driving up a curb, especially with the thread title; in my head I saw you wanting to do this:
Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning as an Urban Assault Vehicle 1694519593576

Anyways..hopefully this will help.

1. popping curbs,
Curbs are not an issue in the F-150, especially with the 18s. I would not try them with the 22s and the 20s are iffy. The 45psi doesn't leave much room for error. You could also lower it yourself down to about 40 psi but overall go with the 18s and factor PSI and it'll hit curbs without any issues. I don't hit concrete curbs, but I've climbed rocky rural gutters and banks with mine without any issues - just keep in mind ground clearance.

2. speed bumps,
Keep it under 50mph when you hit it and make sure you're squared up so that you don't land awkwardly and you'll be fine. I don't recommend popping a curb at the same time but YOLO. Just remember to stop if you hit any pedestrians.

The one pedal driving is perfect for the urban stop signs. You simply roll off the accelerator and it'll bring itself to a slow. You never have to take your foot off the right pedal and put it on the left one. That allows you to rapidly re-accelerate to shoot the gap without ever coming to a complete stop and making the gaps you wouldn't normally be able to make in an ICE vehicle.

If you're popping curbs correctly, just one. I recommend a brush guard for folks on the sidewalks. Again, common courtesy is to at least call 911 for anyone you run over. Despite what some folks say, leaving a note will not suffice.

If you choose to avoid the curbs, you'll need 3 lanes to avoid a 3 point turn.

It is not impossible, the Lightning fits in a typical parking spot. It is also helpful to carry a winch, snatch block, tow ropes/straps in the truck to adjust other vehicles if needed. Some folks can be inconsiderate, often leaving 2-3 ft when parallel parking. It's ok to do some nudging to fit. The Lightning has plenty of torque for nudging.

Yes, I bring mine through an automatic car wash all the time. I even put the extra big tow mirrors on mine. Just remember to fold them in.

Ford F-150 Lightning F150 Lightning as an Urban Assault Vehicle 1694519834323

Last edited: