• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP Overheating

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I killed my first Tesla HPWC because I didn’t torque the set screws clamping the power cable sufficiently. Then I bought and used an inch-pound torque wrench. No more trouble.

I didn’t self-install the Ford charger and have never had an overheating issue. I have mine set at 80 amps.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I just installed my FCSPro yesterday
Make sure you have power cycle your FCSP at least once after a few days online, this should implement any pending firmware updates. NOTE POST #4

Circuit breaker OFF/ON, wait 15-30 minutes for updates to post and FCSP to rejoin the network and resume talking the FORD cloud.

OP
OP

phxdonald

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
VP, IT Enterprise Support
Make sure you have power cycle your FCSP at least once after a few days online, this should implement any pending firmware updates. NOTE POST #4

Circuit breaker OFF/ON, wait 15-30 minutes for updates to post and FCSP to rejoin the network and resume talking the FORD cloud.
Does anyone know how to completely power down the FCSP if you have the Intelligent Power Backup? I can shut off the breaker at the main panel, but the battery then powers the FSCP. Is there a way to bypass that?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Does anyone know how to completely power down the FCSP if you have the Intelligent Power Backup? I can shut off the breaker at the main panel, but the battery then powers the FSCP. Is there a way to bypass that?
Best guess is to not have the truck plugged in. I would think the FCSP would shut down once it fails to detect the truck.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm not a HIS user/expert, but are there controls or switches to the HIS and dark start battery to allow a complete emergency shut down?

Also disconnect the CCS1 connection to the truck

Last edited:

Sponsored

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech

I can’t get my FCSP to stay connected to the internet and it’s 15 ft from the router. So frustrating

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I can’t get my FCSP to stay connected to the internet and it’s 15 ft from the router. So frustrating
Mine disconnected today, I seriously think it's a FORD cloud problem at first, but then I tried networking to it via the setup app and it's not reaching either, probably time for a monthly reboot.

Opps, correction, just looked again and now it's connected.

Last edited:

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Every week or two I loose connection to my FCSP. My charger is maybe 5' from the router & I can check on my routers software & it shows I still have connection but not according to the ford APP. I turn the breaker off for a few minutes & back on. It's reconnected every time so far.

Joedirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
Same issue here in Peoria AZ. I started running a fan under the charger directed up at it while I charge. Seems to be helping. But daytime charges are no bueno which sucks as I’m on solar. Nighttime charges come through APS. APS doesn’t like me anymore and gives it to me hard and dry at bill time. What a pain

OP
OP

phxdonald

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
VP, IT Enterprise Support
I got mine to stop overheating by fully unwrapping the cord from the base station. However, I think it would be good for Ford to vent the system somehow and put a fan in ti. With it being a closed system, like it is, there is no where for the heat to escape.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I got mine to stop overheating by fully unwrapping the cord from the base station. However, I think it would be good for Ford to vent the system somehow and put a fan in ti. With it being a closed system, like it is, there is no where for the heat to escape.
The thing is, it’s designed to be weatherproof for outdoor installation. The specs indicate that it’s designed to be used in up to a 60C ambient, which should be adequate for almost anywhere in the US.
The million dollar question is - Are some units defective and incapable of operation at high temps, or is the design truly incapable of achieving the specification? If it’s the latter, it’s a huge issue.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The specs indicate that it’s designed to be used in up to a 60C ambient
If you de-rate the charging speed, yeah it'll work just fine. I'm thinking about adding temp sensor in mine, just haven't decided how I want to do it. It's in the garage, so the cheap route would be drilling a hole and sticking a probe in it. I think I have a spare Pi Zero W or an ESP32 which would make for a fun wireless solution.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If you de-rate the charging speed, yeah it'll work just fine. I'm thinking about adding temp sensor in mine, just haven't decided how I want to do it. It's in the garage, so the cheap route would be drilling a hole and sticking a probe in it. I think I have a spare Pi Zero W or an ESP32 which would make for a fun wireless solution.
The ambient rating on the spec sheet doesn’t include any caveats about derating. If it isn’t capable of full output, I’d expect some remedy.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The ambient rating on the spec sheet doesn’t include any caveats about derating. If it isn’t capable of full output, I’d expect some remedy.
Where did you see a spec sheet that says it can go to 60C? I tried searching but could only find a max temp mentioned in the installation guide:
" d) The maximum rated ambient temperature of this device is 113°F (45°C) "

bg226

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine has been doing this for months now. I notified Ford and Siemens, and I was told it was operating as expected, even though my FordPass is getting blow up with error messages.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP Overheating SmartSelect_20230710_092230_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP Overheating SmartSelect_20230710_093849_Gmail
Sponsored