• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP question

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I just finishing installing my FCSP on a 100a circuit. During the install, I decided to set the amperage switch inside the unit to 64a instead of the default 80a. I did this because I have another EV at the house and wanted to make sure I don't overload my 200a service if both vehicles happen to be charging at the same time. That being said, I didn't realize the software through FordPass can apparently set the amperage limit in 2a increments with a large range. So now I am wondering if I should set the hardware switch back to 80a and limit the current in software to 64a (or another amperage I deem necessary). Is this how it's supposed to work? Does the hardware switch limit the upper threshold of the software (IE the 64a limit will override any software current settings above 64a)? Just curious to know how the hardware and software limit interact with each other. Thanks!
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The hardware switch is a max limit. The software can only go lower than the hardware setting.
I‘d wait and see if you’ll ever need more than 64. You probably won’t.
Side note: A lot of people have had problems getting the app setting to transfer to the FCSP.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Set the hardware limit to the max you want it to charge. Then fine tune it with the software limit.

I try to keep mine at 50 amps for everyday charging, and adjust it higher if I really need it, which is rare.

Lately, the FCSP just sets itself back to max charging without any input from me. Then it takes forever for me to get it back down to the rate I want it. It's very unreliable.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Like others, I've had the FCSP reset it's software limit back to max without my input. I'd keep the hardware switch at a safe level if you think you will be charging multiple EV's at the same time.

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@WildBlue

my experience:

80amp set on FCSP

derated via ford pass - FCSP front led should have an amber light on right side of blue light bar to indicate that it is charging at lower rate.

this sometimes is on and sometimes off - ford pass app ain’t the greatest - it always indicates a max charge rate no matter if CSP is indicating lower charge rate or not.

i’m not that concerned about actual charge rate to do the math to figure out if I’m truly getting the lower rate when CSP is not indicating via led that it is lower.

why not just dial it down to 64 on CSP and live with it.
i so rarely need 80amp, that it is no big deal.

i just wanted to point out the inconsistent behavior on the display for the CSP

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP question IMG_3990

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Call it future proofing. I have fcsp set at 80Å in Ford Pass with 100Å circuit breaker and 2 ga wire. I have the internal dial set to 40Å because that’s all I really need. If I think I need to charge faster (and probably more than the 80% set in Ford Pass) a T20 torx bit in portable power drill extracts 9 bolts from the face of the fcsp. Turn the dial up to 7 and I’m good to go after reattaching the cover and turning the circuit back on. Five minutes, tops. I treat it like a dumb charger.

OP
OP

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I wanted to bring up another question I have about the FCSP in this thread. I recently got my truck back from the dealership and was actually able to charge it for the first time on the FCSP at the 64 amp setting in the FCSP (set by the dial switch). The battery was down around 55%-60% when the charge started. I let the current buildup to a maximum and measured it to be 58 amps, 6 amps less than the expected 64 amps. I used a clamp-on ammeter that is plenty accurate for these types of measurements. So if the 64 amp setting means 58 amps in reality (about a 10% reduction), would that imply 80 amp setting would yield 72 amp? Anyone else measure the current going into the FCSP and note it was not maximizing the current setting you selected?

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else measure the current going into the FCSP and note it was not maximizing the current setting you selected?
Here's what CarScanner Pro (OBDLink CX) on the All Sensors screen filtered for "Current" reports. The truck is providing the data and it seems to say that almost all of the current requested is being delivered. Someone else would have to explain where the -29.52 A from the HVB is going and why based on the other current readings. My truck is running in Accessory Mode while plugged into my FCSP but I only pushed the Power button to turn it on, not stepping on the Brake pedal.
Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP question IMG_0744_Edtd

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So if the 64 amp setting means 58 amps in reality (about a 10% reduction), would that imply 80 amp setting would yield 72 amp? Anyone else measure the current going into the FCSP and note it was not maximizing the current setting you selected?
Yes, I have mine set to 80 amps, and it's maxing around 74 to 75 amps {18KW / 240}, this is within tolerance based on numerous others posting similar values.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Here's what CarScanner Pro (OBDLink CX) on the All Sensors screen filtered for "Current" reports. The truck is providing the data and it seems to say that almost all of the current requested is being delivered. Someone else would have to explain where the -29.52 A from the HVB is going and why based on the other current readings. My truck is running in Accessory Mode while plugged into my FCSP but I only pushed the Power button to turn it on, not stepping on the Brake pedal.
IMG_0744_Edtd.jpg
Is your heater running??
-29.52 amps drawn OUT of the HVB at nominal voltage could be powering the PTC warmer, the DC/DC converter and powering the HV pumps.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Side note: A lot of people have had problems getting the app setting to transfer to the FCSP.
Had an interesting experience today relative to this. My FCSP transfer rate got set to 80 A and refused to change via FordPass settings. I could edit and save a new value in FordPass, but it never transferred to the FCSP delivery rate. The last save attempt in FP was for a 48 A transfer rate.

So, today, I tested my Home Integration System. Backup power transfer worked for the 6th time in a row. Hurray! After restoring grid power, I tested the charging rate. 10.86 / 246.66 V = 44.0 A. Close enough to 48 A! The same thing happened a time or two before after a power transfer test. I didn't understand why my power transfer value had changed, but maybe it was from playing around with the Max Charge Rate Requested in FordPass and only having the change take effect after a power transfer test.

Investing in a Home Integration System might be an expensive but assured way of changing the FCSP power transfer rate! 😂

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Investing in a Home Integration System might be an expensive but assured way of changing the FCSP power transfer rate! 😂
I WISH FoMoCo would fix the dang app....
Sponsored