• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
For the uninitiated like me, what does the GWM do? It sounds like it’s mostly a CAN BUS firewall equivalent thing and shouldn’t really have any user visible impact. Perhaps it allows other modules to be updated? Or it could be a totally not OTA related at all and just some fix Ford wanted all cars to have?
It's the network controller for the whole truck.

All updates downloaded by the TCU are staged in the gateway (GWM) and then processed.

Any new features that will be enabled mean the GWM has to be updated befire the module with the new features can be enabled.

It's why GWM updates almost always precede new APIM updates. Sometimes there are back-to-back GWM updates but the sequence "normally" is GWM, APIM and then a TCU update if necessary.
Sponsored

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
Good to know. I’ll just wait out and see if it ever downloads. App says Update Successful but truck shows ready for dl.
A week later. Still showing ‘Download Ready’. Sent the Feedback from truckster. BMS reset, fuse 32, blah blah. Next is move trickle charger from bike to POS.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A week later. Still showing ‘Download Ready’. Sent the Feedback from truckster. BMS reset, fuse 32, blah blah. Next is move trickle charger from bike to POS.
When does your truck check for updates?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is set to Automatic, everyday of week @ 1am. The default setting.
Try changing it to a time when your 12V battery isn't below 80% state of charge, and you're likely to be driving the truck, like during a commute in an area with at least 3 bars of AT&T. Say 0800 everyday. Updates don't come over Wi-Fi no matter what Ford suggests to the contrary. They only come through the TCU modem (for security reasons) and if your 12V battery is below 80% SOC the logic prevents the update. So if it's checking and downloading while you're driving, your 12V battery is back up to charge and whatever update downloads during the drive it will process the next time you park and shutdown.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Try changing it to a time when your 12V battery isn't below 80% state of charge, and you're likely to be driving the truck, like during a commute in an area with at least 3 bars of AT&T. Say 0800 everyday. Updates don't come over Wi-Fi no matter what Ford suggests to the contrary. They only come through the TCU modem (for security reasons) and if your 12V battery is below 80% SOC the logic prevents the update. So if it's checking and downloading while you're driving, your 12V battery is back up to charge and whatever update downloads during the drive it will process the next time you park and shutdown.
I beg to differ on the updates don’t come over Wi-Fi. In fact, that’s where major my updates comes from. My truck just updated to 4.2.1, and I saw the update download to the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates 6FCF55BF-033D-492C-9974-4368E8688FDC

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I beg to differ on the updates don’t come over Wi-Fi. In fact, that’s where major my updates comes from. My truck just updated to 4.2.1, and I saw the update download to the truck.

6FCF55BF-033D-492C-9974-4368E8688FDC.jpeg
Is your truck on or off when the download's occur?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

6FCF55BF-033D-492C-9974-4368E8688FDC.jpeg
So what is it that's being downloaded? My car and truck are on my home Wi-Fi as well but those size files in your example are extremely small compared to what GWM, APIM, and TCU update sizes are. Most APIM updates are between 3-6.5 GB as an example.

I stand by my assertion that updates specifically come only through the TCU, and it's for security reasons to prevent man-in-the middle attacks.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Is your truck on or off when the download's occur?
Off, but charging/connected to EVSE, and obviously connected to the wireless. Usually it stays active on the wireless for a little bit after I come home, and then intermittently through the night.

So what is it that's being downloaded? My car and truck are on my home Wi-Fi as well but those size files in your example are extremely small compared to what GWM, APIM, and TCU update sizes are. Most APIM updates are between 3-6.5 GB as an example.

I stand by my assertion that updates specifically come only through the TCU, and it's for security reasons to prevent man-in-the middle attacks.
Perhaps the updates are small for a reason, and require multiple downloads vs a single download. Reminds me of torrents, and how it downloads chunks at a time. It could also just download the package that it needs vs the full package that you would get with FRDS. It could even be some type of hybrid system too, and depending your connection speed it will figure out what is faster and use that. I have a 6G up/down symmetrical internet with 4 APs covering my whole house, but my phone signal is usually pretty poor.

Regardless, I did receive a very large update in October, which was over 3G in size:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates IMG_2290

Also, I didn't start doing much data/logging retention before. This is the full graph showing downloads starting on 10/1/2022. As you can see, there are very minor spikes along with the way, but nothing like the 3G download in October. I picked up the truck in July 2022, and went on vacation shortly after.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 9.57.54 AM

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Go see your service advisor and ask to see the OTA Dashboard for your vehicle.
It's gonna look like this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates WiFi_required

See the part that notes whether Wi-Fi is required?

I don't care who's VIN you look up none of them will say that Wi-Fi was required. And there's no conclusive proof that any OTA has ever downloaded using Wi-Fi. Does your truck connect to Wi-Fi to do something. Yes. Is it to download OTAs? There is no evidence that this has ever happened on a Lightning or Mach-E.

The 'campaign failure' in this pic was because I used FDRS to do the APIM update after the OTA had already started to download.

Last edited:

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
I have a 22' Pro which hasn't received any updates or update notices since Jan. 21 2023.
Where do I find my update version details?
All I can find is " Ford Power-Up 22-PU1110-SNC-RS"
The title doesn't look anything like 4.2.XXX

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a 22' Pro which hasn't received any updates or update notices since Jan. 21 2023.
Where do I find my update version details?
All I can find is " Ford Power-Up 22-PU1110-SNC-RS"
The title doesn't look anything like 4.2.XXX
Some of the OTAs aren't numbered in the way you'd expect.

Attached are the notes for the one you're referring to.

Attachments

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Off, but charging/connected to EVSE, and obviously connected to the wireless. Usually it stays active on the wireless for a little bit after I come home, and then intermittently through the night.

Perhaps the updates are small for a reason, and require multiple downloads vs a single download. Reminds me of torrents, and how it downloads chunks at a time. It could also just download the package that it needs vs the full package that you would get with FRDS. It could even be some type of hybrid system too, and depending your connection speed it will figure out what is faster and use that. I have a 6G up/down symmetrical internet with 4 APs covering my whole house, but my phone signal is usually pretty poor.

Regardless, I did receive a very large update in October, which was over 3G in size:

IMG_2290.jpg

Also, I didn't start doing much data/logging retention before. This is the full graph showing downloads starting on 10/1/2022. As you can see, there are very minor spikes along with the way, but nothing like the 3G download in October. I picked up the truck in July 2022, and went on vacation shortly after.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 9.57.54 AM.png
So after this 3GB download in October did you get a notification that a PowerUp had successfully completed?

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
Some of the OTAs aren't numbered in the way you'd expect.

Attached are the notes for the one you're referring to.
I have those notes in Ford Pass under "update details"
So, updates are labeled differently, where do I find which version software I'm running that corresponds to the version everyone on the forums is talking about? I looked in Ford Pass and also in the truck's dashboard interface.
Sponsored