• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Tacoma, Model 3, Lariat Max Tow, lng range
Hopefully this alleviates some of the guessing about whether or not 12v SOC is inhibiting downloaded OTA’s. I pulled several forum members vins over the weekend(with their permission). In every instance the inhibiting condition was 12v SOC.
I would really appreciate it if you would check my VIN:
1FT6W1EV2NWG01174
I haven't gotten any OTAs for months. I took the truck to the dealer to the dealer to try to pull one using their platform. It took 8 hrs (overnight) for them to load 4.1.3 which is the most recent update they could get. I have a number of issues that I believe might be alleviated if I could get current. Thanks
Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
So after this 3GB download in October did you get a notification that a PowerUp had successfully completed?
It took a few cycles, but yes it did. The same goes with the other update recently to 4.2.1. I see a large download (usually several MB in size), and then either that morning or a few days later it gets updated.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Go see your service advisor and ask to see the OTA Dashboard for your vehicle.
It's gonna look like this:
WiFi_required.png

See the part that notes whether Wi-Fi is required?

I don't care who's VIN you look up none of them will say that Wi-Fi was required. And there's no conclusive proof that any OTA has ever downloaded using Wi-Fi. Does your truck connect to Wi-Fi to do something. Yes. Is it to download OTAs? There is no evidence that this has ever happened on a Lightning or Mach-E.

The 'campaign failure' in this pic was because I used FDRS to do the APIM update after the OTA had already started to download.
Wifi isn't required, I agree. However if it faster and it works.. .then why not? Its connectivity, and what I see on my side may not show the whole picture, but to download MB of data or even GB shows its doing something. I have months of data being collected and more often than not when I get a large payload I get a notification saying it was updated or installed in the next few cycles. In this case, I saw the large payload and I drove around that night and it was updated with a new PU.

As you saw in the graph, I rarely see more than 1 MB download. If anything, its more upload usually.

Here is a new graph covering from 1/1/23:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 11.44.38 AM

Last edited:

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
Try changing it to a time when your 12V battery isn't below 80% state of charge, and you're likely to be driving the truck, like during a commute in an area with at least 3 bars of AT&T. Say 0800 everyday. Updates don't come over Wi-Fi no matter what Ford suggests to the contrary. They only come through the TCU modem (for security reasons) and if your 12V battery is below 80% SOC the logic prevents the update. So if it's checking and downloading while you're driving, your 12V battery is back up to charge and whatever update downloads during the drive it will process the next time you park and shutdown.
No dice. I changed the update to 10 minutes after driving a few times. I did connect the trickle charger. After a few hours it went green, meaning full charge on the 12v. @BennyTheBeaver says its phantom screen. Either way, I dont care if updated or not, as long it is functioning. No issues so far.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
No dice. I changed the update to 10 minutes after driving a few times. I did connect the trickle charger. After a few hours it went green, meaning full charge on the 12v. @BennyTheBeaver says its phantom screen. Either way, I dont care if updated or not, as long it is functioning. No issues so far.
Have you lost connectivity since you got the update successful notification on your phone and saw that screen?

Sponsored

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
No sir. App showed update successful but truck always shows “Ready to Download”. This the current screen when looking at Software Updates.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates IMG_2110

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Have you lost connectivity since you got the update successful notification on your phone and saw that screen?
Loss of connectivity issue...this just in..CSP 23B21. For '23 models only. Free update by the dealer.
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates What

Attachments

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Loss of connectivity issue...this just in..CSP 23B21. For '23 models only. Free update by the dealer.
You can avoid going to the dealer for this by attempting the 12v reset or fuse pull and seeing if the software gets sent out OTA before the module loses connectivity again

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
You can avoid going to the dealer for this by attempting the 12v reset or fuse pull and seeing if the software gets sent out OTA before the module loses connectivity again
Dude...you harshed my mello!
Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1 - Precondition Alert failed updates ouch

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
What.gif
The curious thing is this statement in that document:

"OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE Owners’ letters are expected to be mailed the week of April 17, 2023. Owners will be given the option of installing the software update themselves, or they can have their dealer perform the service for them."

Praying for an OTA isn't exactly installing ourselves, I wonder what they mean.

Sponsored

SadGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I beg to differ on the updates don’t come over Wi-Fi. In fact, that’s where major my updates comes from. My truck just updated to 4.2.1, and I saw the update download to the truck.

6FCF55BF-033D-492C-9974-4368E8688FDC.jpeg
Where are you looking to see this information?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The same thing happened to me. Old UI and no updates pending! So frustrating.
UPDATE: I waited weeks and no luck, so I went to the dealer. They also could not get the update to come down. new EPIM on order. They say that should do it.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Most of the time my remote start doesn't work from Fordpass app. It says something like... Vehicle Failed to Start, it something like that. I tried opening frunk for first time with the app this morning, 10 feet away and did not open, nor did it start. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Sponsored