• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford pro charger solenoid is clicking on and off every 10 seconds. Anyone have this happen?

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Mine has worked for about 2 weeks no issues. I liked it. Didn't need to fast charge at all when it was working.
Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Hey guys Happy Easter.

This morning my charger faulted. It charged the truck up fine but now it's got the yellow fault light. Trouble shooting required based on the manual.

I turned off the breaker and opened the unit. Checked continuity at the spade fuse and the paper fuse behind the white small cover ( the high voltage fuse that leads to the delivery chord). All else seemed fine. The light won't turn off.

I guess I'll call in to Ford tomorrow.

Does anyone know who would come out to service it? Or will I need to remove it and bring it to the dealer.

I have a feeling this is gonna take a while....
So the way it’s worked for me is that you call ford they work as “a go between“ between you and Seimens. The problem is either resolved by them or they send a new charger. If anything needs installed it’s on you to have it replaced by an electrician. No dealer involvement and unclear as to who pays for the extra electrical work to install another one.

In my case I’m still dealing with an intermittent “something went wrong with your charger” message and unit overheating. So far there hasn’t been any resolution from them or Seimens.

The first ticket was open for about a month with no real resolution from Seimens, and Ford wanted to close the ticket because it started working normally. I agreed and it’s starting to act up again so I’m calling today to open another one. So your feeling is accurate…..

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
I spoke to Ford this morning. They already had the ticket open from the clicking problem previously.

I explained them my troubleshooting steps and she said I did everything that they would recommend so they are going to note the case to send out a replacement. I should expect a email or call from my case manager on Wednesday.

Customer service rep was very easy to deal with. She was very knowledgeable regarding the system and troubleshooting. I was really surprised that I didn't need to " convince" her that the charger was dead.

She never said so but I have a feeling that this is not a rare case.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Some further insight on the clicking relay...99% sure this is a Lightning software issue. We've used the CSP since June 2022 on both the Lightning and my wife's Ioniq 5. We charge between 11pm-7am per our National Grid VTOU.

There is never an issue with the Ioniq 5 when plugged in and in standby waiting for 11pm...The Lightning on the other hand started with setting off the relay every 10 seconds or so if plugged in and waiting to charge. This is after the latest OTA I believe as it did not do this behavior until recently.

Unfortunately, I gave my Grizzl-E Classic to my daughter for an outside install. Otherwise, I'd swap out the CSP until Ford gets the software fix for the truck. I'm using both at 32A on a 40A circuit, so irrelevant as the CSP wifi features are pretty useless vs the 'dumb' Grizzl-E.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Some further insight on the clicking relay...99% sure this is a Lightning software issue. We've used the CSP since June 2022 on both the Lightning and my wife's Ioniq 5. We charge between 11pm-7am per our National Grid VTOU.

There is never an issue with the Ioniq 5 when plugged in and in standby waiting for 11pm...The Lightning on the other hand started with setting off the relay every 10 seconds or so if plugged in and waiting to charge. This is after the latest OTA I believe as it did not do this behavior until recently.

Unfortunately, I gave my Grizzl-E Classic to my daughter for an outside install. Otherwise, I'd swap out the CSP until Ford gets the software fix for the truck. I'm using both at 32A on a 40A circuit, so irrelevant as the CSP wifi features are pretty useless vs the 'dumb' Grizzl-E.
I agree. Seemed to me that it was the truck controlling this. Also somehow my proximity to the truck with my phone and or key also caused it to click clack

Sponsored

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I agree. Seemed to me that it was the truck controlling this. Also somehow my proximity to the truck with my phone and or key also caused it to click clack
Good point on the key. I usually use PaaK but my physical keys are close to the truck also. May be time for an experiment...aka take both keys down the street to the neighbors and turn off the phone / also remove from the area and see what the relay does.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good point on the key. I usually use PaaK but my physical keys are close to the truck also. May be time for an experiment...aka take both keys down the street to the neighbors and turn off the phone / also remove from the area and see what the relay does.
Well, now I'm more confused: I removed both fobs and put in a RF blocking bag. I tested and they definitely were not communicating with the truck. I shut off my phone and put it in a RF bag and confirmed PaaK was not doing anything either.

Then I plugged in with the truck set to start charging in 3+ hrs. No relay clicking other than the normal 1-click when the CSP goes into standby. OK, I thought I was on to something. Definitely plugging in with no fobs or PaaK nearby eliminated the issue.

Then I thought, let's reintroduce the fobs only. No change (no clicking of relay). Then I fired up the phone, opened FordPass and refreshed to confirm the 'Waiting to Charge' was on. It was. Still no clicking relay, so a minor victory.

Then I unplugged the CSP which was quietly waiting in Standby, let it sit unplugged for a while and replugged in with all the fobs and PaaK present. I expected relay noise but nothing (behaved normally). That is all fine and good as a way to keep the relay inactive but in reality, I'm not going through this procedure and living without a phone during this standby period (usually 7:30-8pm until charging starts at 11pm).

I will go back out and start the truck, shut it down and replug in to see but hard to say what in the truck is causing this active relay issue many are experiencing.

Last edited:

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Did anyone ever figure out this clicking issue?

My replacement Charge Station Pro is doing the same thing. You can see the regular draw on the energy monitor graph below.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford pro charger solenoid is clicking on and off every 10 seconds.  Anyone have this happen? 1689915765232

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

My replacement Charge Station Pro is doing the same thing. You can see the regular draw on the energy monitor graph below.

1689915765232.png
At the moment the cloud servers are offline..........

Is your Software version the same as this?
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford pro charger solenoid is clicking on and off every 10 seconds.  Anyone have this happen? 1689940147883

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

1689915765232.png

I have not noticed any unusual clicking issues, but after see another complaint in another thread, I decided to look at my Emporia Vue2 Energy monitor, I'm seeing this signature on my graphs intermittently even when the truck is not plugged into the EVSE, had noticed this months ago but wrote it of as noise on the line that the Emporia was picking up.

I just unplugged my truck a cycled the EVSE breaker, curious to see if this continues.

OP
OP
Drayday55

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Over the last week I have received the Electrical drain service required notice about 3 times now. I woke up this morning to the notice again. Yesterday I went out to my garage without keys and phone and noticed that the charge station was clicking again. I also remembered seeing a thread regarding key and phone proximity possibly having something to do with this and thought to myself that it was odd that I didn't have my phone with me. Although my keys were hung up by the garage man door.... Coincidentally the electrical drain fault and the time I went to the garage last night happend together. @TaxmanHog, I thought I saw a post where you stated that the electrical fault had something to do with this?

Edit..
And 3 hours later my neighbor sent me a text my lights were flashing and I got an alert that the alarm was triggered due to hood opening. I looked at my cameras and nothing opened. I think it's time for dealer visit

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Coincidentally the electrical drain fault and the time I went to the garage last night happend together. @TaxmanHog, I thought I saw a post where you stated that the electrical fault had something to do with this?
Several of us have commented that key fobs and PAAK enabled phones near the truck can trigger the welcome lighting.

Try isolating your key fob(s) in a metallic box, maybe the problem will subside

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Over the last week I have received the Electrical drain service required notice about 3 times now. I woke up this morning to the notice again. Yesterday I went out to my garage without keys and phone and noticed that the charge station was clicking again. I also remembered seeing a thread regarding key and phone proximity possibly having something to do with this and thought to myself that it was odd that I didn't have my phone with me. Although my keys were hung up by the garage man door.... Coincidentally the electrical drain fault and the time I went to the garage last night happend together. @TaxmanHog, I thought I saw a post where you stated that the electrical fault had something to do with this?

Edit..
And 3 hours later my neighbor sent me a text my lights were flashing and I got an alert that the alarm was triggered due to hood opening. I looked at my cameras and nothing opened. I think it's time for dealer visit
I experienced similar symptoms (random alarms, electric drain faults). I left the truck with the dealer yesterday for evaluation. I'll follow up as I learn more.
Sponsored