• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Not Closing ?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I’m I the only one having a periodic issue with Frunk not operating correctly.

It seems to happen more often when the truck is on slightly unleveled ground, although it has happened when it was in the garage on level ground, but the lid had been open for a while.

When you press the button to close the lid the trucks peeps a couple of times and the lid never moves. I have only been able to manually force the lid closed after it fails to close on its own.

Anyone body else and do you have any suggestions?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I recall old posts about the frunk forgetting it's position after being left open a long period of time, solution is to manually close it, then retry opening & closing via dash button or app, it should return to normal after this.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT, 13 Raptor, 13 X5M, 03 Excursion
You may already know this but, I was getting frustrated with it not closing with the button until I realized that when the truck is locked, the button will not work. I assume this is to prevent you from locking the keys in the frunk, but I find it a bit annoying.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
. I assume this is to prevent you from locking the keys in the frunk, but I find it a bit annoying.
But you could lock your keys in the frunk if the truck isn’t locked. Aren’t you still stuck? Or will the truck start with keys in the frunk?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
But you could lock your keys in the frunk if the truck isn’t locked. Aren’t you still stuck? Or will the truck start with keys in the frunk?
The truck should NOT start with the fob in the frunk. It's supposed to sense it IN THE CAB.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That sounds like a theory needing testing. Watch ing.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I have only been able to manually force the lid closed after it fails to close on its own.
As noted, manually closing the frunk will sometimes seemingly get it out of cycle. When the button beeps after a single push of the rubber button and won't close the frunk, to me, it sometimes seems like an "are you sure you want to close this thing?" beep. Usually, it will close after another press of the rubber button. After manually closing the frunk and getting it out of sequence, I stopped doing it and used the button inside the truck. Usually, I don't have the tremonsterous fob with me to try that button. The button inside the truck has never failed.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
As noted, manually closing the frunk will sometimes seemingly get it out of cycle. When the button beeps after a single push of the rubber button and won't close the frunk, to me, it sometimes seems like an "are you sure you want to close this thing?" beep. Usually, it will close after another press of the rubber button. After manually closing the frunk and getting it out of sequence, I stopped doing it and used the button inside the truck. Usually, I don't have the tremonsterous fob with me to try that button. The button inside the truck has never failed.
Thanks for the input. I have tried that on a number of occasion and found that after it signals its failure, nothing seems to work to get it to close on its own.

I will bring it with my service department on my next visit to the dealership.

All good information. Thanks everyone.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck should NOT start with the fob in the frunk. It's supposed to sense it IN THE CAB.
Exactly my thoughts. Which makes the theory about being unable to close when locked suspect.

So I just tested. Open frunk. Lock the truck. Attempt to close the frunk using the button on the frunk. It closed normally. So if the frunk won’t close, it not because the truck is locked. It’s either been left open too long, or something’s broken.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Probably doesn’t apply here, but the frunk won’t operate if the truck is in gear either. If you shift while it’s closing, it will stop.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably doesn’t apply here, but the frunk won’t operate if the truck is in gear either. If you shift while it’s closing, it will stop.
Yes it does. I was picking up food once. Opened the frunk and had them place it in there. Hit the button to close and since I didn’t want to hold up the line behind me, I shifted to D just before it latched. Really stupid design IMO.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You could not because you can always push the button in the cab or open the frunk, or use the manual release.

laselvasurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly my thoughts. Which makes the theory about being unable to close when locked suspect.

So I just tested. Open frunk. Lock the truck. Attempt to close the frunk using the button on the frunk. It closed normally. So if the frunk won’t close, it not because the truck is locked. It’s either been left open too long, or something’s broken.
That's interesting. Mine operates differently.

Try this as well: With your truck locked, use the key to open the frunk, then try and close it with the button. My button absolutely will not work in that scenario until unlock the truck, or use the key fob button to close the frunk.

All that to say, I'm wondering if different trim levels have different programming. My truck is an XLT and does not have passive entry.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Try this as well: With your truck locked, use the key to open the frunk, then try and close it with the button. My button absolutely will not work in that scenario until unlock the truck, or use the key fob button to close the frunk.

All that to say, I'm wondering if different trim levels have different programming. My truck is an XLT and does not have passive entry.
🤔

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You could not because you can always push the button in the cab or open the frunk, or use the manual release.

True…I didn’t consider that.

Mine still opens when using that sequence.
Trim level difference is a definite possibility.
Sponsored