• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk Not Closing ?

The Unc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Tech
I have commented one this before... If I leave the Frunk open for let's say 6 hours, It will not close no matter what I try. Fob, rubber Frunk button, cab button, truck locked, unlocked, Fob near by, fob far away... nothing will allow me to close the Frunk! All I get is multiple "beeps" and that's it. I have to force it closed and all is well after that.
Can someone comment on leaving their Frunk open for an extended period with issues after?
If the tailgate is left down for an extended time, you need to press the button on the handle twice the wake it up and it works... Frunk should be the same? I dunno-
Sponsored

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
That's interesting. Mine operates differently.

Try this as well: With your truck locked, use the key to open the frunk, then try and close it with the button. My button absolutely will not work in that scenario until unlock the truck, or use the key fob button to close the frunk.

All that to say, I'm wondering if different trim levels have different programming. My truck is an XLT and does not have passive entry.
My 2023 Pro acts the same as @laselvasurf's.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have commented one this before... If I leave the Frunk open for let's say 6 hours, It will not close no matter what I try. Fob, rubber Frunk button, cab button, truck locked, unlocked, Fob near by, fob far away... nothing will allow me to close the Frunk! All I get is multiple "beeps" and that's it. I have to force it closed and all is well after that.
Can someone comment on leaving their Frunk open for an extended period with issues after?
If the tailgate is left down for an extended time, you need to press the button on the handle twice the wake it up and it works... Frunk should be the same? I dunno-
Discussed and documented previously.
When left open for any extended period, the frunk loses its position reference and must be closed manually in order to reestablish.

There may be a good reason why thatā€™s not the case with the tailgate, but I donā€™t know what that might be. Thereā€˜s been speculation that Ford is more cautious with the frunk because of the consequences of it coming open while driving, but Iā€™m not sure I buy that??

Last edited:

The Unc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Tech
Discussed and documented previously.
When left open for any extended period, the frunk loses its position reference and must be closed manually in order to reestablish.

They may be a good reason why thatā€™s not the case with the tailgate, but I donā€™t know what that might be. Thereā€˜s been speculation that Ford is more cautious with the frunk because of the consequences of it coming open while driving, but Iā€™m not sure I buy that??
This makes sense.... it would be real nice if this Frunk behavior could be confirmed by Ford. It would also be nice if it was discussed it the owners manual (PDF)
I'm sure a lot of folks leave the Frunk open all day. I guess you just have to manually close it at that point.
I have never seen any discussion previously about this phenomenon with an explanation...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This makes sense.... it would be real nice if this Frunk behavior could be confirmed by Ford. It would also be nice if it was discussed it the owners manual (PDF)
I'm sure a lot of folks leave the Frunk open all day. I guess you just have to manually close it at that point.
I have never seen any discussion previously about this phenomenon with an explanation...
It was mentioned and then discussed, but the thread title didnā€™t start out on that topic. Easy to miss.

Sponsored

The Unc

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Tech
It was mentioned and then discussed, but the thread title didnā€™t start out on that topic. Easy to miss.
Would you happen to recall that thread? It would be interesting to take a peek... would love to learn more about this. Searched but didn't really find anything relevant.

Much appreciated-

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I've only had an issue with my Frunk once and that was due to the sensors being wet. I loaded groceries into it while it was raining. The Frunk closed at the grocery store, but when I unloaded them in my garage, the Frunk wouldn't close. It would close, bounce a bit, sound like it was latching, but then pop back open. I could tell that it wasn't sensing something correctly because it was closing too hard. I took a towel, dried the sensors (or so I thought) and still had issues. Manually closed it and left it. Was fine the next day.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yes it does. I was picking up food once. Opened the frunk and had them place it in there. Hit the button to close and since I didnā€™t want to hold up the line behind me, I shifted to D just before it latched. Really stupid design IMO.
Agreed. You would think having the frunk attempt to automatically close if shifted into gear would be the preferred option.

I've had it refuse to close when pushing the button on the frunk but it responded to the fob. I haven't been able to replicate it thought. The other, sporadic, issue I've had is it doesn't fully latch when closing and I'll have to give it a nudge to finish. Had this happen at the airport picking up family. Threw luggage in, hit the button to close. Got back in the seat, buckled in, and saw a warning that the frunk wasn't closed all the way. I don't recall shifting into gear.

Sponsored

rtk11226

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning/1991 Chev 1500/1976 Corvette
Occupation
Retired IT/Engineer
Thanks guys. I'm a new owner and this frunk closing issue just happened to me. Had the frunk open for a couple hours doing a 12V charge and when it was time to close the frunk nothing worked. Had to manually close it and then everything started working again. Glad I was close to a computer to check the forum.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Iā€™m I the only one having a periodic issue with Frunk not operating correctly.

It seems to happen more often when the truck is on slightly unleveled ground, although it has happened when it was in the garage on level ground, but the lid had been open for a while.

When you press the button to close the lid the trucks peeps a couple of times and the lid never moves. I have only been able to manually force the lid closed after it fails to close on its own.

Anyone body else and do you have any suggestions?
I had one time the Frunk would not close by any button. I had to gently manually lower the hood. Once it closed and latched, the automatic elements worked again.

The one I have more trouble with is the power tailgate. I generally just lift it to close it and it always seems to want to close before it will lower when I try to open it.

The next time it is at the dealer I plan to ask them to look at it.

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
I recall old posts about the frunk forgetting it's position after being left open a long period of time, solution is to manually close it, then retry opening & closing via dash button or app, it should return to normal after this.
Happened to me once. After 10+ tries, I gently closed it by hand and it hasnā€™t happened again.

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
That's interesting. Mine operates differently.

Try this as well: With your truck locked, use the key to open the frunk, then try and close it with the button. My button absolutely will not work in that scenario until unlock the truck, or use the key fob button to close the frunk.

All that to say, I'm wondering if different trim levels have different programming. My truck is an XLT and does not have passive entry.
I have a ā€˜22 Lariat with the same behavior and passive entry. Iā€™ve presumed it was a software glitch since I use PAAK exclusivelyā€¦but Iā€™m beginning to think thatā€™s not the case.
While I have experienced the ā€œfrunk left open for an extended period of time and had to be closed manuallyā€ thingā€¦this behavior Iā€™m talking about is different. Hereā€™s the typical scenario: Iā€™m coming back to the truck parked at a grocery store. I open the trunk with the FordPass app as Iā€™m approaching the truck (I donā€™t unlock it). Frunk opens, put my stuff in there and then push the exterior frunk button and nothingā€¦no beep, no attempt to close, nothing. I can push it a bunch of times and no dice. Any of the following will work however: FordPass appā€¦or unlocking the truck and then the exterior button worksā€¦or use the button in the cab. I figured the engineers didnā€™t want people locking their keys in the frunk, so they disabled that button when the truck was locked, howeverā€¦thatā€™s not the case. I can lock the truck and close the frunk with the exterior button in other sequences. For example: lock the truck, open with exterior button and then push it again to close itā€¦ and it will close. So, there is something with the sequence or where the request to open is happening (app, fob, cab, button). Anyone figure this one out yet? Itā€™s not a big deal, but it is rather annoying if Iā€™m going to be honest.
Sponsored