• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Having a Bad Day today - Ford vs Tree this morning

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Heads up @rdr854 See prior post.
Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
If It's largely cosmetic in nature keep the cash and have the first lightning hooptie. I'd love to see if they break down the estimate to some degree of line-item.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Hey RDR, any chance you could send me the name of this Northern Virginia dealer? I got the written estimate today. $34,017.08, and as a "visual inspection only."

They want to total it, but are saying I have to take $7k in depreciation for the 7 months I've owned it. So I can't buy a new one with their offer.
I will DM you later tonight when I get to my computer. On a mobile device now.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO [SQUISHED!] & 2nd Lightning PRO
If It's largely cosmetic in nature keep the cash and have the first lightning hooptie. I'd love to see if they break down the estimate to some degree of line-item.
I have the full line item breakdown yes. The biggest single line item is the Frunk insert at $2,770.43, but the rear taillights were not far behind, $2,025.22 a piece.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's all cosmetic, the truck drives fine. It's just not road worthy with the 1 headlight. In fact I had it towed home and I parked it in my driveway while I dispute the insurance offer. Called my attorney and I'll let him take it from here.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Dang.. We all know that the Batteries are expensive, but Ford really needs to do more to control costs on things like tail lights. I know they are packing some sensors in there, but that kind of cost is unsustainable. Taillights break. They have to get that down.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IAA came and picked the truck up yesterday. If anyone is looking for a salvage Lightning there should be one coming to auction here in Rhode Island soon.

As for the insurance settlement, I ended up taking $4K in depreciation over the 7 months it was on the road. Bought a '23 ER PRO this week, hopefully it will be delivered soon.

https://www.iaai.com/Locations/644

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Looking forward to pic's of the new Pro-ER!!

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Hey RDR, any chance you could send me the name of this Northern Virginia dealer? I got the written estimate today. $34,017.08, and as a "visual inspection only."

They want to total it, but are saying I have to take $7k in depreciation for the 7 months I've owned it. So I can't buy a new one with their offer.
Was the $7k in depreciation counting or not counting tax credit? Don't forget to factor tax credit. Especially if you replace it with another EV that qualifies.

In 2019 I had an EV, Nissan Leaf, that was totaled after being T-boned by an uninsured driver. My insurance carrier, State Farm, paid me $5,000 less than I paid for it 9 months prior. But since I claimed $7,500 in tax credit it actually was $2,500 more than it cost me with tax credit factored. Then I replaced it with a 2020 Leaf EV and got to claim the tax credit again on the new purchase.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was the $7k in depreciation counting or not counting tax credit? Don't forget to factor tax credit. Especially if you replace it with another EV that qualifies.

In 2019 I had an EV, Nissan Leaf, that was totaled after being T-boned by an uninsured driver. My insurance carrier, State Farm, paid me $5,000 less than I paid for it 9 months prior. But since I claimed $7,500 in tax credit it actually was $2,500 more than it cost me with tax credit factored. Then I replaced it with a 2020 Leaf EV and got to claim the tax credit again on the new purchase.
Not counting the tax credit. Its not part of the insurance valuation process.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Not counting the tax credit. Its not part of the insurance valuation process.
You are correct that Insurance valuation is ONLY based on ACV street price of the vehicle.

So with a $7k depreciation hit you are $500 ahead or with $4k depreciation you are 3,500 ahead when tax credit is factored. That‘s assuming you bought it new and were able to claim the full credit. So it’s not so bad.

Congrats on your new purchase and good luck with it.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired