• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Having a Bad Day today - Ford vs Tree this morning

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Crap….
Hopefully no injuries.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ohhhh MAN that sucks! My neighbor has a giant old oak that gives me the willies every wind storm.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO [SQUISHED!] & 2nd Lightning PRO
Crap….
Hopefully no injuries.
No injuries, yet, We'll see how I feel after I talk to the insurance guy Tuesday (there was a 2023 Tesla right next to it that now has a ventilated glass roof as well).

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
No injuries, yet, We'll see how I feel after I talk to the insurance guy Tuesday (there was a 2023 Tesla right next to it that now has a ventilated glass roof as well).
I thought they had a fixed panel roof?? /s

Sponsored

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New F-150 XLT Lightning
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Well, what grows up . . will eventually come down:cry:.
Looks like it is already being worked on....

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Follow up #1. Got the call today, truck is a total loss. Now I need to provide an Actual Cash Value, because what the appraiser quoted is ridiculous. Initial ACV was appraised at $39K.

If anybody has been through this Actual Cash Value nonsense, I'm all ears.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The visible damage wouldn’t lead me to believe it is a total loss. I assume it has to do with their low ass valuation.

Anyway, once you get a settlement with the insurance, You ought to buy it back and get it repaired. Or sell it for parts. We all know what that battery system is worth.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Follow up #1. Got the call today, truck is a total loss. Now I need to provide an Actual Cash Value, because what the appraiser quoted is ridiculous. Initial ACV was appraised at $39K.

If anybody has been through this Actual Cash Value nonsense, I'm all ears.
Sorry about your truck and your neighbor's tree.

I have been through this twice - once with a 2-year-old car and then with the brand-new car that replaced it.

Scenario No. 1 (2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 16K miles)
Car was T-Boned. Insurance paid ACV based upon listings of similar cars in our local area. There were some adjustments for equipment on those cars that mine did not have as well as for equipment on my car that those did not have. Finally, there was also a mileage adjustment so that if the comparable car had 20K miles, there was an adjustment to account for the lower mileage on my car.

In Scenario No. 1, the insurance carrier made an offer that was within a few hundred dollars of what I thought the value should be based on comparables that I had found, so I did not push back for the additional money.

Scenario No. 2 (2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 140 miles)
Car struck a deer at night on my first trip with it. Insurance paid ACV based upon the advertised price for an identically equipped new car (including the optional tri-coat color red paint). The only adjustment was for the 140 miles on the odometer - which was based on the IRS mileage rate at the time.

In addition to the ACV, insurance also paid the sale tax, and title fee based upon the value of the car. In both cases, I owned the cars free and clear of any loans, so the proceeds came back to me directly.

Your insurance carrier will provide you with supporting documentation for its calculations. If you feel that they are off, you can push back, but you will need to be prepared with documentation of comparables that support your claim. Hopefully, they will accept your counter offer. Some insurance carriers are better than others.

It is important to note that there could be tax implications from the settlement. As a result, you should consult with your tax advisor to make sure that you take the necessary steps to ensure that any settlement that is received (which is greater than your purchase price) does not trigger a taxable event.

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Send them a letter letting them know your concern. If it then falls, they are then liable.
Just saw your comment. From personal experience this may work sometimes, but sometimes it takes a arborist inspection report of the tree sent to the neighbor before it fell to assign insurance responsibility.

If your having an arborist work on your trees, his report on the neighbors tree shouldn't cost you anything.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The visible damage wouldn’t lead me to believe it is a total loss. I assume it has to do with their low ass valuation.

Anyway, once you get a settlement with the insurance, You ought to buy it back and get it repaired. Or sell it for parts. We all know what that battery system is worth.
I haven't seen the written estimate yet, but they told me over the phone the repair estimate was around the $35k mark.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I haven't seen the written estimate yet, but they told me over the phone the repair estimate was around the $35k mark.
And, in Northern Virginia, a 2023 Pro SR with 6,000 miles is for sale for $48,000. Only options are the Max Tow and Pro Power.

Based upon that asking price, and assuming your truck is a standard range truck, you would be just shy of 75% of the ACV. At that point, you may be able to get a used Pro. There are 4 for sale in northern VA, including one 23 at the dealer that I use (Ourisman Ford of Manassas). They also have a used 22 for $45K. Jason Clark is a straight shooter and low pressure.

Good luck!!

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Send them a letter letting them know your concern. If it then falls, they are then liable.
No reason to have tall trees near a home. They eventually fall over and damage something: houses, roofs, cars. Few years back, branches fell off and punctured my roof shingles. I cut down five 65' maples near my home but not before the roof damage from just rotted branches falling off. I luckily avoided this sort of catastrophic failure. The project was worth ever penny to the arborist.

OP
OP
jcm3

jcm3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey RDR, any chance you could send me the name of this Northern Virginia dealer? I got the written estimate today. $34,017.08, and as a "visual inspection only."

They want to total it, but are saying I have to take $7k in depreciation for the 7 months I've owned it. So I can't buy a new one with their offer.

And, in Northern Virginia, a 2023 Pro SR with 6,000 miles is for sale for $48,000. Only options are the Max Tow and Pro Power.

Based upon that asking price, and assuming your truck is a standard range truck, you would be just shy of 75% of the ACV. At that point, you may be able to get a used Pro. There are 4 for sale in northern VA, including one 23 at the dealer that I use (Ourisman Ford of Manassas). They also have a used 22 for $45K. Jason Clark is a straight shooter and low pressure.

Good luck!!
Sponsored