• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your Lightning?

How many years?

• <= 2 years

• 3 - 6 years

• 6 - 9 years

• 10 - 12 years

• Never getting rid of it....

Results are only viewable after voting.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Technology will always be updated (ie SYNC 2 -> 3 -> 4), but with OTA it might not be as bad. However Ford already wants to move on and will be essentially going with Android on "Millions" of vehicles starting in 2023. So we will already be out of date.

So with a number of us taking out loans for 4, 5, 6, 7 years... how long do you plan on keeping your Lightning for?
Sponsored

DarkAirforce

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
I tend to keep vehicles for a while, the one I just sold was 7 years old. So l will likely keep mine for 7 years before trading it in.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't tend to keep vehicles for very long and I expect EV drivetrain tech to evolve pretty rapidly. I suspect I will be looking about the time the Gen 2 Lightning (and other Ford EV truck?) come out - so 3-4 years. Rivian will be in strong consideration too depending on availability and how they hold up over time.

Deleted member 9341

Technology will always be updated (ie SYNC 2 -> 3 -> 4), but with OTA it might not be as bad. However Ford already wants to move on and will be essentially going with Android on "Millions" of vehicles starting in 2023. So we will already be out of date.

So with a number of us taking out loans for 4, 5, 6, 7 years... how long do you plan on keeping your Lightning for?
10 years

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
While there will be updates, more range, android, etc, I tend to keep my vehicles long term. Probably at least till 2028 or so. I think the next generation will be available by then.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How long I keep the truck is based on how long it makes sense to keep it. If there are big leaps in the EV options available in 2-3 years, but still enough supply constraints where the MY22 Lightning has value, it would not make sense to hold it. My two considerations will be the Lightning refresh and Cybertruck (I'm roughly 60k in the CT reservation queue).

If trucks get a lot more expensive and don't add considerable battery improvements or Lightning resale collapses, then I'll probably hang on to it longer, since I plan to use it as a local driver/hauler.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Whenever Ford or a competitor can sell me a 400 mile truck with an CCS-capable 600-800 volt charging system.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Whenever Ford or a competitor can sell me a 400 mile truck with an CCS-capable 600-800 volt charging system.
Silverado EV?

I have a first hour Silverado EV(not first edition) reservation...est release summer 2024 as a fail safe. We'll see how I like the Lightning and see what comes from GM.

On the fence about whether I'll "upgrade" or not..will also put in a reservation for 2nd gen Lightning...

Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I keep all my vehicles for ten years, unless circumstances change. Still have my 2013 Volt.

Keeping it much beyond that I think I’m pushing my luck for when the battery might need to be replaced.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
4.7383 years

No idea. Probably 3 or less years.

Gerrard155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Duty
Silverado EV?

I have a first hour Silverado EV(not first edition) reservation...est release summer 2024 as a fail safe. We'll see how I like the Lightning and see what comes from GM.

On the fence about whether I'll "upgrade" or not..will also put in a reservation for 2nd gen Lightning...
Payload was a dealbreaker for me on the silverado-max payload of 1300 lbs means you are likely under 1000 with any meaningful amount of options. Its a shame-seems like a nice truck otherwise.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I always plan to keep cars for as long as they work as cars and for my needs. I see no reason why I would need to sell the Lightning ever.. However,

If the stars align, then I will buy a new car before my current car no longer serves its purpose... This has happened fairly regularly the past few years....

2017: Bought a new CX5 for new kid as a second car for the family.
2019: VW was desperately trying to get rid of e-golfs in the US... Scored a new 2019 SEL for $17K. Traded in 2005 Camry (for a measly $1k).
2021: I really want a Truck... But it's got to be fuel efficient.. Well hello Cybertruck, Lightning, Rivian reservations.
Early 2022: Used car prices are crazy... What my Egolf is worth $25K... Bye Egolf, Hello Ioniq 5.
Mid 2022: Used car prices are still crazy, Bye CX5 --- Hello Lightning...

I've still got a Rivian reservation which will probably come around in 6-8 months. I like the overall package of the Rivian better. But, the size of the lightning likely suites my needs better. When the Rivian is offered me, and if I can make $10-15K on the lightning, I may switch cars again... We'll see.....

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
How's that 10-year-old smart phone working for you? Oh, you don't have a 10-year old smart phone? Computerized cars aren't aging well, and are being orphaned already by manufacturers, especially with OTA features. Lots of Teslas are seeing chip overload and needing SIM replacements due to too many writes to certain chips. That's a design fail, but the fact is that even static circuits wear out.

10-year old Teslas have not held value. Three-year old Teslas are much better from value standpoint, but as batteries age, the value inverts way faster than with ICE vehicles because the replacement liability exposure exceeds the vehicle's residual value, so buying one is a crapshoot, hence we see 2012 & 2013 Teslas selling for $20k. And even thats questionable with potential for $23k battery replacements.
Sponsored