• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer refuses to sell the Lightning to the person who ordered. Marks it up by $50k and puts it on the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
How would you get a refund if they added LoJack, VIN etching etc? Genuinely curious because afaik these are non refundable once you pay up.
In a *normal* market its simple....say "I'm not gonna pay for that" and threaten to walk. On ordered hot commodity vehicles like the Lightning it becomes more complicated. The best course would be to have it stated very explicitly in a signed buyers order "no add ons" but even then its a tough spot to be in.

Unfortunately until the supply catches demand the customer is at a big disadvantage. Any dealer that throws these add ons has made the decision you are a "one time customer" and will never come back. I mean, who in their right mind would choose to do business in the future with a dealer that throws meaningless add ons to the vehicle. They will try to get all they can out of this deal, knowing(and accepting) you'll never be back for future purchases.

A good course of action is to thoroughly research a dealer before you follow thru to order with them--if they don't cut it switch your reservation as quick as possible. read reviews on Google, yelp and other sites. ask about them in message boards. Ask neighbors, co-workers, etc. In general, the dealers most likely to pull this stuff do it over and over. The management has made the decision to apply these tactics/gimmicks as much as they can because lets face it--they are trashing their reputation. There's always a chance they MAY try something as a one time deal..but most likely they've done this stuff before and made it part of their strategy.

I would also not hesitate to talk to the sales manager, and/or GM of the dealership. Corner the dealer owner if you can. Ask point blank questions. Let them know in a friendly, but stern manner that there is to be no surprises, no hidden costs, no gimmicks, no add ons, no BS. *Most* the time they will not lie to your face. There are exceptions, but mostly if you are very direct you have the greatest chance. If they duck responding to questions, refuse to contact, etc...I just drop them and go someplace else(if possible).

Not trying to get all preachy but we need to stick together here..I hate seeing anyone get taken advantage of. I will also say there are good dealers and bad dealers. I've had some I'd gladly recommend and buy from again... some I won't give the time of day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
How would you get a refund if they added LoJack, VIN etching etc? Genuinely curious because afaik these are non refundable once you pay up.
Its a negotiation at the end of the day. If you've written communication typically the dealer will come around. You'll just have to be ready to follow through and raise the stakes. I can speak for myself... I won't walk out on a car that i've waiting 18 months for

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I look forward to this starting 8/4!!!!!!!

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I look forward to this starting 8/4!!!!!!!

Saw that too, I wonder how that would have worked with the situation described in this thread. Will it show the final price with add ons? Does the dealer have to opt-in? How do trade-ins and financing work?

This is clearly the way that Ford needs to go in order to compete with the start-ups. I would never have to talk to anyone at a dealership until after I've paid for it and get there to pick it up.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Saw that too, I wonder how that would have worked with the situation described in this thread. Will it show the final price with add ons? Does the dealer have to opt-in? How do trade-ins and financing work?

This is clearly the way that Ford needs to go in order to compete with the start-ups. I would never have to talk to anyone at a dealership until after I've paid for it and get there to pick it up.
I support this 100% (@Ford Motor Company ). I've said for a long time I do not believe in a direct sales model because it essentially eliminates all competition. You can cross shop dealers for a lower price or better offer. here a buyer can choose the level of interaction he/she wants in the buying process.

In this case, a dealer supported web purchase allows the dealer to still have a part in the process, but also allows for less contentious dealer interaction. Just present the offer..no trade in games. No running back to "check with the manager". No taking a persons keys so they can't easily leave the dealership. Just a strict business transactions.
It also means there is an electronic record of everything from offer to the purchase.

Its a good compromise vs going strictly direct sales(if that was even possible given dealer franchise laws)

Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Isn’t this already a thing? My Ford account allows me to checkout online and even do Ford Credit (the rate is terrible though)
*Edited with dates*
Share some more screenshots, if possible. Can you go to the next screen without completing the purchase? What is your build week (5/30/22) and is your vehicle shipped or at your dealer (today 8/3/22)? Also interested in the "here's how it works" language. How much flexibility do they leave on the dealer's end. The cash due at dealer is still "estimated" so that makes me think any number of adjustments can be made by the dealer.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Isn’t this already a thing? My Ford account allows me to checkout online and even do Ford Credit (the rate is terrible though)

F505E530-22F1-4632-83B3-A32211CA77CA.png
Welcome BETA tester number 1

Try it, Mikey likes it!!!!!

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
There was also someone obviously from the dealership trolling the original reddit thread a couple days ago, although it seems like the account/comments have been deleted.

Grown adults acting like children because they were caught trying to rip someone off. Some people have no shame.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So if you checkout with Ford Credit even though the rate is trash, you can head over to the dealership, collect without hassle and then refinance right away?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
There was also someone obviously from the dealership trolling the original reddit thread a couple days ago, although it seems like the account/comments have been deleted.
Yeah, that guy was annoying. I deleted some of his comments, but didn't ban him, yet. He hasn't posted anywhere on Reddit since, so maybe the problem resolved itself.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
So if you checkout with Ford Credit even though the rate is trash, you can head over to the dealership, collect without hassle and then refinance right away?
I was wondering the same thing.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
lol Dealers gotta do their dealer. I guarantee you there's going to be the F&I/DAO flip binder time waste. Nobody gets out without that torture,
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.