• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Battery Design Question

TexasGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Does anyone know what type of battery design and construction Ford is using?
Sponsored

Dirtyrider89

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Technician for cranes
SK Innovation presents the Ford F-150 Lightningpickup truck, which is a suprising sight in South Korea. The F-150 is equipped with SK Innovation's NCM 9½½ cells.

"NCM9 is a battery that has the proportion of nickel up to approximately 90%. Nickel is a mineral that has the greatest influence on battery output and driving range. As NCM9 has high energy, it is difficult to manufacture without advanced technology that ensures safety. SK Innovation completed the production of this battery with its exclusively unrivaled safety technology and will supply it to Ford from next year." Copied from inside Evs

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Sorry if this is old news. I ran across an older article that implied LFP will be used on the PRO model.
I'd be curious if anyone can corroborate this. It might explain how the Pro could appear as more of a bargain. They are supposedly much cheaper to produce and have more recharge cycles , but with a lower energy density.

Inspired by Tesla, the Ford Motor Company has confirmed that will use LFP batteries in all-electric commercial vehicles. The lithium-iron-phosphate battery cells are called IonBoost Pro, and they will be joined by the IonBoost lithium-ion batteries and Solid Power solid-state batteries. Ford LFP SK innovations

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Don't expect LiFePo4 batteries to be around too long. Every EV maker is almost ready to offer solid state batteries.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Solid state batteries are just like Tesla's robotaxis. They are always coming next year.
I'm very excited about solid state batteries, but I think it will be at least 4 years to show up in a real car. In the mean time I want something to drive now.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I think we will see solid state batteries in cell phones and laptops years before they come into cars. It is a much better test bench for the technology as customers only expect them to last 2 or 3 years worth of use and get charged/discharged every day unlike vehicles.

UNIKRN150

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I wouldn't worry about "battery capacity".

Just make sure you order your Lighning with the "Tow Package" and you're "golden"!

Lightning Power.jpg
I'm glad you all "got it".

Last time I posted that I got roasted by a bunch of angry Lightning fans.
lol

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Should have ordered the AERO package for the tow package to improve mpg-e.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Battery Design Question battery packs

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
As someone that has to perform 'safety' testing (all the things manufacturers tell you not to do, we do it here), I'm always happy to see the 'C' (Colbot) reduced!
May I ask why? Does C go boom?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Is the problem with cobalt the expense or the manner which it is mined or both?
Both are motivations for finding an alternative. Here is a quote from this article:

Cobalt is a scarce, toxic, and lustrous mineral that is found in the negatively charged electrode—or cathode—of almost all lithium-ion batteries used today. It’s expensive, heavy, and linked to unethical mining practices, wild price swings, and a tenuous global supply chain. It’s no wonder so many battery manufacturers want to kick their cobalt habit. But the material plays a crucial role in stabilizing batteries and boosting their energy density. Although experimental cobalt-free cells exist, they’ve all had major performance issues like limited lifetimes and slower charge rates—until now.​
Sponsored