• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FastCote

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Raptor, 2022 MachE GT, 2022 F150 Ligtning
Anyone tried using a Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter, like THIS ?

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 71qSR70Y0EL._AC_SL1500_

It is rated at 2000 amps, but no idea what continuous output might be. This one ^ has a 56 watt-hour capacity.
Sponsored

Last edited:

toddconn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighning Lariat
I installed several updates yesterday using FDRS without any issues, I waited till the end to install the APIM Update, and it keeps failing, I have tried several different flash drives. Any other suggestions? Keeps saying "USB Error"

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 2

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
I installed several updates yesterday using FDRS without any issues, I waited till the end to install the APIM Update, and it keeps failing, I have tried several different flash drives. Any other suggestions? Keeps saying "USB Error"

1.jpg

2.jpg
Are they USB 3.0 drives you're using? Like a Sandisk Extreme 3.0?

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone tried using a Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter, like THIS ?

71qSR70Y0EL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It is rated at 2000 amps, but no idea what continuous output might be. This one ^ has a 56 watt-hour capacity.
It's not intended to be used in "powersupply" mode.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
@Mike G - I think you had already applied what is now working out to be 4.1.2 - the new GUI for the 4A screens. I'm wondering if you'd take a look at my VIN, just so we can understand what they do update and don't update remotely.

I know have the PAAK, DTE and the new GUI (4.1.2) all from OTA pushes.

I'm wondering what they've left sitting around unapplied. Would you mind checking my updates left - VIN - 1FTVW1EV3NWG03253

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Mike G - I think you had already applied what is now working out to be 4.1.2 - the new GUI for the 4A screens. I'm wondering if you'd take a look at my VIN, just so we can understand what they do update and don't update remotely.

I know have the PAAK, DTE and the new GUI (4.1.2) all from OTA pushes.

I'm wondering what they've left sitting around unapplied. Would you mind checking my updates left - VIN - 1FTVW1EV3NWG03253
Not a problem.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1FTVW1EV3NWG03253-18-Jan-23

So after 4.1.2 you should see this GWM get updated somehow (OTA I assume). The way mine worked, and as all the Mach-Es have worked, there was a GWM and then an APIM which was the new UI (Sync 640) and then there was another GWM after that. That one above in your list is the post APIM one. EDIT: this GWM update that shows up after getting the new Sync UI (Sync 640) is going out as OTA 4.1.3 now.

The OBCC you see there all Ford Mach-E and Lightnings got in their holiday stocking about three weeks ago.

The BCM, FHCM, GFM2, and SOBDM actually showed up starting around the 8th of October with the arrival of the BCM and FHCM and then the others followed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

jtownsend2266

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
@Mike G Would you mind checking my VIN before I buy a 2-day license? VIN is 1FT6W1EV1NWG01764

bryko

First Name
bryko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, '22 Corolla, '13 Escape
Occupation
Engineer
@Mike G I feel totally left out of the update game. The not knowing and not being able to tell is the worst part, but I don't think I have gotten ANY updates. Would you be so kind to check mine? 1FT6W1EV8PWG01053 Thank you so much!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Mike G I feel totally left out of the update game. The not knowing and not being able to tell is the worst part, but I don't think I have gotten ANY updates. Would you be so kind to check mine? 1FT6W1EV8PWG01053 Thank you so much!
Well don't feel bad...having a '23 model means you have fewer updates stacked up waiting to get applied at this point.

Here's your list from this morning:
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS 1FT6W1EV8PWG01053-22-Jan-23

You could/should get that gateway applied as an OTA if the stars align, cause usually those do get sent out that way. But the BCM and OBCC likely will not get sent out as OTAs anytime soon. Neither of those two modules have a history of ever being updated by OTA even though they are capable of it.

bryko

First Name
bryko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Well don't feel bad...having a '23 model means you have fewer updates stacked up waiting to get applied at this point.

Here's your list from this morning:
1FT6W1EV8PWG01053-22-Jan-23.png

You could/should get that gateway applied as an OTA if the stars align, cause usually those do get sent out that way. But the BCM and OBCC likely will not get sent out as OTAs anytime soon. Neither of those two modules have a history of ever being updated by OTA even though they are capable of it.
Thank you very much! I noticed that my truck does not stay connected to wifi. It goes off network after a few minutes of parking it. (I can see and track all the flows on my home network). It comes back up when the truck is ON and I regularly see traffic to Tom Tom, Garmin, Amazon, and Ford. How will I get updates if it is never connected at 1:00 AM? Am I good and just worrying too much?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
How will I get updates if it is never connected at 1:00 AM? Am I good and just worrying too much?
You are good. As of now the system is biased towards cellular download, the updates download in the background while you are driving.

The time you specify (1am) is the time you want it to install the files it has already downloaded. The caveat to this is that is only for downloads that require the vehicle to fully power down. For modules that can update live they will apply the update whenever it's ready.

bryko

First Name
bryko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
You are good. As of now the system is biased towards cellular download, the updates download in the background while you are driving.

The time you specify (1am) is the time you want it to install the files it has already downloaded. The caveat to this is that is only for downloads that require the vehicle to fully power down. For modules that can update live they will apply the update whenever it's ready.
Now I am beginning to understand! Thank you very much.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat

Yeah in fact I haven’t seen a single OTA come via WiFi, despite the instructions hinting that WiFi gets updates faster.

This may change in the future of course. Tesla did the same thing back in the old days.
Sponsored