• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Christmas Eve and another update.

This time it's an OBCC update. The OBCC is responsible for managing fast charging.

This update also appeared for my '21 Mach-E as well as a '22 Mach-E I looked up so it apparently is an across the board update.

No idea what it's intended to correct or enhance at this point. Will know more later.

Enjoy your day!
Do you pay for an annual subscription to FDRS?
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Thanks for keeping us up to date! I’m not quite willing to fork out that much cash but monthly or quarterly two-day subscriptions seems reasonable. Who knows maybe I’ll get addicted and end up paying the annual price anyway.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Thanks for keeping us up to date! I’m not quite willing to fork out that much cash but monthly or quarterly two-day subscriptions seems reasonable. Who knows maybe I’ll get addicted and end up paying the annual price anyway.
Well there are a lot of folks who do that...they hit somebody up for a VIN check and then if it's compelling enough they go for a two-day license over a weekend to do the updates. In fact that seems to be what most folks do. I have no problem doing the lookups for folks.

Enjoy your day!

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Well there are a lot of folks who do that...they hit somebody up for a VIN check and then if it's compelling enough they go for a two-day license over a weekend to do the updates. In fact that seems to be what most folks do. I have no problem doing the lookups for folks.

Enjoy your day!
What does a vin lookup help with? Does that tell you whether the truck is eligible for the update?

Sponsored

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
What does a vin lookup help with? Does that tell you whether the truck is eligible for the update?
Yeah he can see what modules can be updated and sometimes also what the update does. At least then you know if it’s worth your money/time to get a FDRS subscription or go to your dealership to ask for an update.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Yeah he can see what modules can be updated and sometimes also what the update does. At least then you know if it’s worth your money/time to get a FDRS subscription or go to your dealership to ask for an update.
Thanks for the reply.

...and this would be needed if you did not think OTA updates were working for your vehicle for whatever reason?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I might be wrong here, but OTA and FDRS doesn't necessarily update the same things and definitely not at the same time. Meaning, even if you get the latest and greatest OTA today, there might still be several modules that are left on "outdated" software compared to FDRS.

Isn't there also some modules that would never be updated through an OTA?

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks for the reply.

...and this would be needed if you did not think OTA updates were working for your vehicle for whatever reason?
Not every update is packaged as an OTA, or may be an OTA weeks or months after it shows up in FDRS for hardwired update.

For example, Mike G already found the new user interface as a FDRS update but nobody has gotten it via OTA yet (though it’s expected to be one in the future)

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It provides a list of updates the truck has available for programming with FDRS.

Sponsored

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Wish I knew why I am not receiving the Blue Cruise Map update, Ive tried everything I feel like. Contemplated getting a FDRS subscription but dont know what im doing lol

Would owe a great debt to whoever can help me figure this out.

Last edited:

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Scheduled an appointment with dealership for September just to get my Blue Cruise Maps updated.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Is there a particular sequence that should be followed when updating / using FDRS, or is it safe(as safe as can be) just to go top to bottom ?

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there a particular sequence that should be followed when updating / using FDRS, or is it safe(as safe as can be) just to go top to bottom ?
It is always advisable to do any gateway (GWM) or telematics modem (TCU) before doing anything else. Those two are key to other updates working properly.

Updates are quite often 'coordinated' (to use Ford's term). I would call them 'chained'. A lot of them are meant to be updated together and once you pick one of them in that group the sequence will kick off that updates all of them to ensure that they all get done as a group (as the engineers intended).

An example of this would be the powertrain group or set of modules that are always done at the same time. If you see a PCM, BECM, SOBDM, SOBDMB, and SOBDMC (and sometimes the ABS if it's there) in your list they will all get done at the same time. So when you start with the PCM and all you have to do is keep hitting the "OK" button and turn on and off the ignition when told to do so.

Another group or set of updates that are coordinated (usually) are the cruise-control related updates: CCM, CMR, IPMA, IPC, and PSCM. Clicking any one of them will kick off the chain and they will all get updated as a group.

Other updates are standalone and can be done in any sequence. Like the BCM, HVAC, door modules, etc.

I usually leave the APIM (Sync) module for last, but nothing says you have to.

There are three updates that are done individually, but because of software dependencies, often trigger follow-on updates of the others (until all three are done). That would be the GWM, the APIM, and the TCU (often in that order). So if you have a GWM in your list but don't have an APIM or TCU...updating the GWM often triggers the APIM...and then another GWM or the TCU pops up afterward.

Mike

Last edited: