• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
That last part is anecdotal...I heard it somewhere...I think....
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS OTA_Rollouts
Sponsored

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
FDRS yesterday evening:
Lightning-APIM-13-Dec-22.png

I dug in this morning and it took a long time to download. Cause it's the biggest APIM update I think I've ever done so far at 6.27GB:
File_size_Sync-640.png

From start time to finish (including the 10 minute shutdown for the A/B switchover) one hour and ten minutes total.

Sync_640sm.png

Loving the dedicated camera button!

Still no streaming of YouTube etc...I guess that's going to take a future update to the TCU like they did on the Mach-E to enable it there.

A little weird...got the new Sync interface on the Lightning with no streaming in "Entertainment" but on the Mach-E I've got the streaming in the "Entertainment" section but the older interface...

Oh and for those who are wondering...when you hit the camera button at speed you see the rear view in the top panel....and yes there's still a banner that says "Full View Not Available" right in the middle of that view. Not sure where that banner comes from..it might be in the IPMA.

Mike

I believe this is the update that I've been having issues with this AM. It's 6.27GB, on the USB (again after finding the individual files on my local device to delete so it could re-download them), but I keep getting a failure or no pop up on Sync.

I realize this was months for you @Mike G but do you recall how many files were outside of the FordSoftwareUpdate folder on your USB? I'm only seeing the security file for this update and no json like every other USB update that I've done, so I wonder if that could be related. Both download/imaging attempts resulted in this structure on the USB.

UPDATE - Persistence paid off, but not quite sure what solved it. Took almost 5 hours for this update. What's interesting is that the JSON was on the USB AFTER the update completed, but not before.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe this is the update that I've been having issues with this AM. It's 6.27GB, on the USB (again after finding the individual files on my local device to delete so it could re-download them), but I keep getting a failure or no pop up on Sync.

I realize this was months for you @Mike G but do you recall how many files were outside of the FordSoftwareUpdate folder on your USB? I'm only seeing the security file for this update and no json like every other USB update that I've done, so I wonder if that could be related. Both download/imaging attempts resulted in this structure on the USB.

UPDATE - Persistence paid off, but not quite sure what solved it. Took almost 5 hours for this update. What's interesting is that the JSON was on the USB AFTER the update completed, but not before.
Yeah, sorry just now saw your post...if you recall back in the Sync 'Middle Ages' :cool: when you'd go to the 'Sync My Ride' owner site and download your own update to put on a USB drive to update your car/truck they used to have instructions that said to make sure you took the USB drive back to your computer and uploaded a file to the website to let the system know your update was successful. In addition, as part of any USB update with FDRS we used to take the USB drive back out of the vehicle after a successful update as instructed on the screen and put it back into the laptop. Both of those things are the same thing...that .json file was the confirmation being sent back to the server that we had been successful.

Now, after USB updates FDRS just does a confirmation of the revs of each package and gives you the "OK" and reports to the mothership that it was successful (or not?).

But that's the long version of why that .json file is on your USB after the update.

You should have gotten another GWM update after the APIM update to the new Sync UI (Sync 640). That could also come as PowerUp 4.1.3 for you as well if you don't get to it with FDRS.

Last edited:

eopiela

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Attorney
Looks like I am going to have to take the plunge and buy all the equipment to do updates myself. So much for OTA. Ford over the phone told me they couldn't push the update and asked me to set up an appointment with a dealer. I did, went to Covert Ford in Austin this morning and they said I would have to leave my truck there for 10 days because one of the updates takes 21 hours to complete (which I think is a lie, but I wasn't going to be without the truck for nearly two weeks without a loaner). Looks like I need to buy the Mongoose and a Battery Tender, then buy the FDRS Subscription, any thing else?

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like I am going to have to take the plunge and buy all the equipment to do updates myself. So much for OTA. Ford over the phone told me they couldn't push the update and asked me to set up an appointment with a dealer. I did, went to Covert Ford in Austin this morning and they said I would have to leave my truck there for 10 days because one of the updates takes 21 hours to complete (which I think is a lie, but I wasn't going to be without the truck for nearly two weeks without a loaner). Looks like I need to buy the Mongoose and a Battery Tender, then buy the FDRS Subscription, any thing else?
Well it's not a battery tender...they are usually battery chargers with a 'power supply' function. Like the PL2320.

There are no updates currently listed for any 22/23 Lightning that would take 21 hours. In fact there are no updates for either a Mach-E or a Lightning that would take more than 5 hours in CANbus mode, full stop.

They wanted you to go away.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS LazyProgrammin

Sponsored

eopiela

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Attorney
Well they got that. They were the same dealership who insisted on a $15k ADM as well. And they lost their reservation over that. I had bought my last Ford F250 from them. Done with that. Looks like Mac Haik might be able to help up the road.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Well it's not a battery tender...they are usually battery chargers with a 'power supply' function. Like the PL2320.

There are no updates currently listed for any 22/23 Lightning that would take 21 hours. In fact there are no updates for either a Mach-E or a Lightning that would take more than 5 hours in CANbus mode, full stop.

LazyProgramming.gif
@Mike G @eopiela

After 40+ DTE install failures I’ve opted to take back to dealer.

2 Previous visits totaled 28 days. Hard to be without truck for that long. Sits on lot for several days, they peek at it, put it back on lot, then bring it back in.

still scratching my head, why on last visit DTE wasn’t updated, when tech used FDRS to update modules - while aware I had over 25+ failures at that point. When I picked up, it did not show in available update. 3 days later it appeared again. Guess it cleared during updates 🤷🏼‍♂️?

can’t return the mongoose once I open, not sure how often I would use it or if I’m having an actual module issue.

yesterday i used the pl2320. That didn’t make it happen. Not sure I could have hooked that up differently.

didn’t mean to make this less about FDRS. But it falls under the reason to use FDRS.

the Ford customer service experience person, did help get someone in touch with them last visit, but her follow up has been lacking, like some our experiences with both Ford Mo Co and Ford dealerships.

mike, your post on this thread have been helpful, thanks.

• Sad
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Mike G @eopiela

After 40+ DTE install failures I’ve opted to take back to dealer.

2 Previous visits totaled 28 days. Hard to be without truck for that long. Sits on lot for several days, they peek at it, put it back on lot, then bring it back in.

still scratching my head, why on last visit DTE wasn’t updated, when tech used FDRS to update modules - while aware I had over 25+ failures at that point. When I picked up, it did not show in available update. 3 days later it appeared again. Guess it cleared during updates 🤷🏼‍♂️?

can’t return the mongoose once I open, not sure how often I would use it or if I’m having an actual module issue.

yesterday i used the pl2320. That didn’t make it happen. Not sure I could have hooked that up differently.

didn’t mean to make this less about FDRS. But it falls under the reason to use FDRS.

the Ford customer service experience person, did help get someone in touch with them last visit, but her follow up has been lacking, like some our experiences with both Ford Mo Co and Ford dealerships.

mike, your post on this thread have been helpful, thanks.
Well you can open a case with @Ford Motor Company and request your service advisor have the tech use the hotline. I'm wondering why they haven't done that before now. They can get an engineer onsite to work on your truck. And having it sit on the lot for that long without doing anything is ridiculous.

I'd ask them if they requested engineering support.

I'm wondering if this is a strategy to get you to go somewhere else?

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I’m really curious if you’ll start to see signs of BlueCruise 1.2 coming down the pipeline. I would expect it will be a tethered FDRS update before an OTA.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
100% Correct. No single module should take longer than 5 hrs. However the complete programming of all the associated modules usually takes between 6 and 12 hours. This includes GWM, Apim, Tcu ,icp and ipma including 360 calibrations.. As you know some get programmed multiple times. I usually have my guys go ahead and do the Door modules obcc pcm wacm and hvac. Most are completed in less than 8 hrs but some stay overnight and get finished the next day. .

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
The only thing that dealer could be thinking of that takes that long would be the 1.7 debacle for the ICE trucks. Maybe that is all they know and they haven't even taken the time to realize it's a different beast.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's been a little while but I woke up to both a new FDRS update and a GWM (gateway) update this morning.

It's likely this GWM update is the Lightning version of the GWM update that came out in the last week for the Mach-E.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS FDRS_35.5.3

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Lightning_GWM-27-Feb-23

And before anyone asks :) after I updated my Mach-E there was nothing notable or visible in the way of changes or performance. It could be an update that is intended to correct some issue, and it could also be an update that is laying the groundwork for a future update (like an APIM/Sync update). An OTA version of this GWM update has not yet been recorded in the wild for the Mach-E as of this date.

If you already had a GWM update in your list prior to today...it likely would get superseded by this version instead at the time it would be applied.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
@Mike G

Have you seen any updates lately for the drivers gauge cluster? Mine was acting funky a couple of nights ago on my way home from work. Was very laggy. According to the trip counter it was updating every 2 to 3 seconds. Now it's back to normal. Was wondering if there is an update for it.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have not. I post the updates to the thread as they come out, and haven't seen anything at all on something like the IPC or possibly another update to the PCM that would provide input to the IPC.

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
It's been a little while but I woke up to both a new FDRS update and a GWM (gateway) update this morning.

It's likely this GWM update is the Lightning version of the GWM update that came out in the last week for the Mach-E.

FDRS_35.5.3.png

Lightning_GWM-27-Feb-23.png

And before anyone asks :) after I updated my Mach-E there was nothing notable or visible in the way of changes or performance. It could be an update that is intended to correct some issue, and it could also be an update that is laying the groundwork for a future update (like an APIM/Sync update). An OTA version of this GWM update has not yet been recorded in the wild for the Mach-E as of this date.

If you already had a GWM update in your list prior to today...it likely would get superseded by this version instead at the time it would be applied.
Do you think the GWM update is the same as Ford Power-Up 4.2.1? And do we have any way to tell? It's my understanding that the "Ford Power-Up" updates are really just a naming package for a set of updates that go via OTA.

My F150 just got 4.2.1 via OTA today, but I am not by the vehicle right now to see if anything really changed. I manually updated everything via FDRS a few weeks ago, but only acquired a 2 Day license at that time, so haven't checked yet to see if it or my Mach-E have new updates. Note, I have not received any update notices for my Mach-E yet....
Sponsored