• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Broonarmy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, Smoked Quartz
Bring your USB 3.0 thumb drive... (y)

Here's your list:
1FT6W1EV1NWG01764-21-Jan-23.png

Enjoy!
@Mike G I am a little lost on how this all works? I don't have any update notifications in over 3 weeks since I took delivery and my BlueCruise maps expired in September 2022. Are you able to look up anyone's software status by VIN and if things require updating but aren't happening do you have a suggested way to force it to happen?

Thanks and apologies if this is already covered somewhere on this forum. Happy to take a reference link and read through it if that is the case.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
@Mike G I am a little lost on how this all works? I don't have any update notifications in over 3 weeks since I took delivery and my BlueCruise maps expired in September 2022. Are you able to look up anyone's software status by VIN and if things require updating but aren't happening do you have a suggested way to force it to happen?

Thanks and apologies if this is already covered somewhere on this forum. Happy to take a reference link and read through it if that is the case.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing...You provide the VIN and I'll return a list of the available software updates for the modules in your truck.

On the expired BC maps thing....that is fixed with a gateway module (GWM) update. And the dealers have all been provided the TSB on how to correct this (attached).

Also..on the OTA front...your truck only checks with Ford to see of there are any OTAs after 10 drive cycles. So if your truck sits for a long time with nobody driving it then it will take longer to get updates.

EDIT: I stand corrected...the ten key cycle thing is only when the TCU reaches out to Ford to check for map updates.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
your truck only checks with Ford to see of there are any OTAs after 10 drive cycles. So if your truck sits for a long time with nobody driving it then it will take longer to get updates.
The 10 key cycle thing is for the map check, not OTA. But the point still stands that if the truck sits for awhile without being driven it will take longer to get OTAs

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 10 key cycle thing is for the map check, not OTA. But the point still stands that if the truck sits for awhile without being driven it will take longer to get OTAs
Oh okay, I had the impression that every ten key cycles the TCU checked with the mothership for any updates...so that's only for the maps? That's weird.

jtownsend2266

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Bring your USB 3.0 thumb drive... (y)

Here's your list:
1FT6W1EV1NWG01764-21-Jan-23.png

Enjoy!
Thanks again. Ran the updates yesterday and without any issues. Really enjoying the new version of sync with youtube.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So a member memtioned to me that his BC is now not working (MY22), and the service advisor says that Ford has told them that they can't do any BlueCruise programming cause there's a bug in the APIM software and there's a hold on programming.

Emmm. No. That's not what the OASIS broadcast said.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Software Updates using FDRS Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 5.37.26 PM

It seems that this service advisor (as well as others who simply skim the headlines and don't process the whole message) are conflating two messages, and neither of them have anything to do with diagnosis and repair on a 22MY Lightning that came with working BlueCruise from the plant...that now doesn't function.

They can and should diagnose and repair that condition on our trucks.

That 21G01 hold is for 21MY Job 1 Mustang Mach-Es and F-150s that were supposed to either get BC as an OTA or by having a service tech do the update at the dealer in the last year...and neither of those things happened during the period that 21G01 was a funded program. So the program had to get extended, and then problems were discovered and Ford put doing the BC programming for '21J1 vehicles that never had it working before on hold. Nothing to do with Lightnings that came from the plant with working BC.

Last edited:

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Can you help to check if there are any updates for my MY23 Lightning?

1FTVW1EV5PWG02527

I notice I cannot set 24h clock, always reset to 12h clock

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you help to check if there are any updates for my MY23 Lightning?

1FTVW1EV5PWG02527

I notice I cannot set 24h clock, always reset to 12h clock
You have a body controller (BCM) and an OBCC (DC fast charge controller) update. That's it.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have a body controller (BCM) and an OBCC (DC fast charge controller) update. That's it.
Thanks for checking
Curious even I'm on the old UI, in this case, there is no way to get the new UI even with FDRS?

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for checking
Curious even I'm on the old UI, in this case, there is no way to get the new UI even with FDRS?
There are no APIM, or GWM updates that you might expect to see to provide any updates right now.

So here's the thing.....I think the Fordaristas are working older Lightning updates (22s). So that they can kindof bring them to what the 23s left the plant with (with some caveats).

Here's an example...you'd think that the 23 Mach-E would come out of the plant with the latest Sync UI right? Well they did...but not completely.....they did get the new UI look with the Sync 592 that came with their car..but although that version looks like the (actually newer) Sync 640 version that the 21 and 22 MY cars are getting updated to...it lacks the little dedicated camera button on the top row. Which is driving the 23 Mach-E owners crazy that they don't have everything that earlier cars have, and they don't have any updates in their list that would update their APIM to the newer version already on older cars. So Ford isn't even pushing out updates yet (that I'm aware of) for 23 MY Mach-E and Lightnings that would update their APIMs.

Sponsored

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are no APIM, or GWM updates that you might expect to see to provide any updates right now.

So here's the thing.....I think the Fordaristas are working older Lightning updates (22s). So that they can kindof bring them to what the 23s left the plant with (with some caveats).

Here's an example...you'd think that the 23 Mach-E would come out of the plant with the latest Sync UI right? Well they did...but not completely.....they did get the new UI look with the Sync 592 that came with their car..but although that version looks like the (actually newer) Sync 640 version that the 21 and 22 MY cars are getting updated to...it lacks the little dedicated camera button on the top row. Which is driving the 23 Mach-E owners crazy that they don't have everything that earlier cars have, and they don't have any updates in their list that would update their APIM to the newer version already on older cars. So Ford isn't even pushing out updates yet (that I'm aware of) for 23 MY Mach-E and Lightnings that would update their APIMs.
Thanks for the all info, and this is sad for those MY23 owners, we paid a lot more for the car comparing to the MY22, and we get less features on the car, and delayed updates :(

too bad I have already ordered my Mongoose-Plus but I guess I can keep waiting until the update shows up.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
So noob to FDRS. PAAK still not working, took to dealer they updated the GWM for the bc recall but nothing else. They say the electrician needs to look at PAAK which is BS. I know the RFA module is the culprit. Plus I apparently have 8 other firmware updates that for some reason they won’t do. I reached out to ford and these say no firmware updates will be delivered via OTA only sync or software updates.

assuming I get a mongoose and fdrs subscription seems like I can just run everything myself? There is also cheaper VMC adapter, but you get what you pay for.

Must you have a current subscription to check for new firmware updates?

is it really worth it to get a mongoose 500$ and FDRS 2day 50$ to do this onetime update myself or are there ongoing updates or ability to use with forscan that would make this worth it? I have done forscan for years with a cheap adapter. I also plan to do some pid monitoring and testing for battery heat system modification for driving in cold weather -20F so mongoose could come in handy there as well.

thanks

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So noob to FDRS. PAAK still not working, took to dealer they updated the GWM for the bc recall but nothing else. They say the electrician needs to look at PAAK which is BS. I know the RFA module is the culprit. Plus I apparently have 8 other firmware updates that for some reason they won’t do. I reached out to ford and these say no firmware updates will be delivered via OTA only sync or software updates.

assuming I get a mongoose and fdrs subscription seems like I can just run everything myself? There is also cheaper VMC adapter, but you get what you pay for.

Must you have a current subscription to check for new firmware updates?

is it really worth it to get a mongoose 500$ and FDRS 2day 50$ to do this onetime update myself or are there ongoing updates or ability to use with forscan that would make this worth it? I have done forscan for years with a cheap adapter. I also plan to do some pid monitoring and testing for battery heat system modification for driving in cold weather -20F so mongoose could come in handy there as well.

thanks
I check VINs on and off all day if I'm not doing something else away from the computer. You do need a subscription to check for updates. As to whether it's worth it..I have two Ford BEVs so it's worth it for me. I agree that using a cheaper adapter will result in pain later on. Most of the folks who have Mongoose cables only get a 2-day license and they ask somebody like me to run their VIN to see if they need to do some updates on a Saturday morning.

FORSCAN has some great tweaking compatibilities but I've not used it to do actual programming.

Many dealerships who sent a tech to Ford's EV training to get certified now think that the specific tech they sent is the only one within 5 miles who should go anywhere near a Lightning or Mach-E because nobody else in the shop knows anything about them (or wants to). Even though F-150s and other Fords are all programmed the same way using the same tools. Since the number of BEVs an 'average' or small sized Ford service shop sees is in the single digits they have to wait till "Kevin" or "Bob" the EV tech gets back from vacation (or COVID?) before they can look at your truck. And since they aren't getting paid by Ford to do all those module updates in your list without a warranty claim ('customer concern') to write up you'll likely have to do them yourself.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I agree that using a cheaper adapter will result in pain later on. Most of the folks who have Mongoose cables only get a 2-day license and they ask somebody like me to run their VIN
Thanks! sounds like the mongoose is way to go. Regarding FDRS I assume you get the subscription it says there are updates and it gives you the files? And once you install it pings Ford and says hey this truck got some updates. I already “obtained” the correct files that are legit but without FDRS the mothership won’t understand what is going on so updating firmware won’t actually do anything.

are firmware updates regular? Or is it kinda a one and done if everything is working correctly? I did find it interesting that the dealer told me I had a blue cruise software recall that isn’t public information and required the gateway module to be updated. Perhaps I answered my own question here and due to BEV being new to ford there may be some ongoing updates and tweaks for awhile.

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! sounds like the mongoose is way to go. Regarding FDRS I assume you get the subscription it says there are updates and it gives you the files? And once you install it pings Ford and says hey this truck got some updates. I already “obtained” the correct files that are legit but without FDRS the mothership won’t understand what is going on so updating firmware won’t actually do anything.

are firmware updates regular? Or is it kinda a one and done if everything is working correctly? I did find it interesting that the dealer told me I had a blue cruise software recall that isn’t public information and required the gateway module to be updated. Perhaps I answered my own question here and due to BEV being new to ford there may be some ongoing updates and tweaks for awhile.
Modules receive updates throughout the year when needed. Some get them more often due to things like map updates (GWM). There is more than one 'driver' on the frequency. Some are driven by a necessity to fix something that's broken (like last year's trailer control modules on all F-150s), and some are driven by feature rollout like the updated Sync UI. If something like the door modules get an update and there are no issues from there on out over the course of a year or so the engineers aren't going to spend time working up another update, so the doors would stay that way for the rest of the lifecycle.

So it's a mixed bag. There will be tweaks along the way, and there will be feature enhancements. The big problem is that the OTA mechanism and processes aren't being used to roll all the updates out that the engineers and coders come up with. Remember, all these updates that appear in FDRS were made available because the general consensus is that they are needed. Nobody is going to waste time creating an update if everything is hunky-dorey with a given module. So there has to be some reason they were 'published' as available for a given VIN. But over on the OTA side of the office they can't push all those updates through that little 56kbps modem fast enough. I think they're still using AOL in that office. :unsure:
Sponsored