• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Modem stopped working.....then worked with a weird possible fix

Leroyjac75

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Bummer. The first time I saw it was also shortly after 4.1.1.
Henry:

Is your truck communicating now? It’s been a while since 4.1.1 came in.
My Platinum built 10/07/22 had these issues however the problem was 4.1.2 failing. The fix ended up being taking the truck to the dealer and having 4.1.2.1 manually installed. Not all Lightnings have the same chipsets in certain modules. The generic 4.1.2 update did not like my combo of modules. Since February I have received 2 OTA updates. 4.2.1 which was a gateway update and 4.2.1.2 which is a modem update.. I am patiently waiting for 4.2.2 or likely 4.2.2.1 to roll out. Unfortunately I believe 4.1.3 had the new user interface and I have not received it. Again it may be another 4.1.3.1 that fixes or catches up the interface.

I hope this is old news for you.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Henry:

My Platinum built 10/07/22 had these issues however the problem was 4.1.2 failing. The fix ended up being taking the truck to the dealer and having 4.1.2.1 manually installed. Not all Lightnings have the same chipsets in certain modules. The generic 4.1.2 update did not like my combo of modules. Since February I have received 2 OTA updates. 4.2.1 which was a gateway update and 4.2.1.2 which is a modem update.. I am patiently waiting for 4.2.2 or likely 4.2.2.1 to roll out. Unfortunately I believe 4.1.3 had the new user interface and I have not received it. Again it may be another 4.1.3.1 that fixes or catches up the interface.

Yes, old news. My truck is up-to-date except for Phone as a Key, which the dealer wasn't able to fix.

Leroyjac75

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Henry:

As an update to this thread I received 4.2.2.2 on 4/19 which updated my interface. I seem to be updated now.

For normal trucks 4.2.3 is out which I believe is a modem update related to FordPass.

Sponsored

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Got 4.2.3 today and the very next drive, my modem icons were gone again….so frustrating….

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
So is there a definitive modem fix yet? Feel like there's so many threads claiming 4.2.x fixes it and in the same day there's 4 other threads saying it still doesn't work. I somehow just received the 23B21 memo in the mail from Ford, would like to avoid going to the dealer if these OTA updates actually do something. My connection still drops intermittently and I'm pretty sure I just got 4.2.2.

Leroyjac75

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I actually just received a letter from Ford telling me to take the truck in to have the update done at the dealer which I did in March.

4.1.2 failed and caused my modem problems. 4.1.2.1 was the dealer fix. This was done 2/20/23 despite a Notice to dealers from Ford NOT to do it.

4.2.1 was the gateway update and 4.2.1.2 was the modem update.

4.2.2.2 was the updated interface. Received 4/19/23.

All received OTA after the dealer fix for Power Updates.

Hope this helps

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
I actually just received a letter from Ford telling me to take the truck in to have the update done at the dealer which I did in March.

4.1.2 failed and caused my modem problems. 4.1.2.1 was the dealer fix. This was done 2/20/23 despite a Notice to dealers from Ford NOT to do it.

4.2.1 was the gateway update and 4.2.1.2 was the modem update.

4.2.2.2 was the updated interface. Received 4/19/23.

All received OTA after the dealer fix for Power Updates.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the background, this is helpful. Seems like the notices were just late to go out then as it seems 4.2.2 rolled out to most by now, with 4.2.3 hitting a few this week. Just wanted to make sure the dealer didn't have a solution we didn't. Doesn't seem the case.

Leroyjac75

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you have been good with the 4.x.x updates you may or may not get the 4 digit updates. It’s for problem trucks like mine.

The question is now whether the folks that were at 3.5.x are getting their updates.

Sponsored

LMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I got my Lariat ER at the beginning of the year. My FordPass connected at the dealer upon purchase and everything worked. I ran into issues turning the connectivity on and off. The menu wouldn’t open and I could click on it a dozen times and maybe I’d get lucky and it would open.

So in late Feb, I dropped the truck at the dealer for a second powertrain malfunction, and at the same time mentioned the issue with the connectivity menu not opening. Unfortunately at the time the telematics were powered off and I could not open the menu to reactivate them so I could monitor what was going on at the dealer.

I just got the truck back after 8.5 weeks. They replaced the gear shift module for the powertrain issue, as well as the TCU. That didn’t fix the menu issue but when I did manage to randomly get it to open, it showed everything as powered on (including that locked insurance reporting switch). But nothing will turn off. The dealer told me to delete my phone from the car and the car from FordPass, and all that did was totally remove my vehicle and it won’t reactivate.

Based on this thread, I see more collective wisdom here than in my dealer’s service department. Someone back on 16 Feb mentioned a conversation with Ford tech support about the TSB. I had to laugh because I had the same conversation with Ford on 27 April. They insisted this would all be fixed by an OTA update, but they couldn’t square how an OTA update would come through if the modem and wireless radios weren’t working. Meanwhile, the guy in the update department was able to confirm there was indeed a wireless connection between my truck and Ford’s servers because he rattled off at least 5 dates when updates failed, including earlier that day, while the truck was in my driveway, hours after being dropped off by the dealer.

Ford has some really misplaced priorities. They managed to build an entirely new truck (my original order) from scratch in less time than it took the dealer to replace 3 parts, and the new truck has the heated steering wheel that my current truck doesn’t.

LMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I did manage to luck into getting my connectivity menu to open. I activated most options. This morning I got an alert that 4.2.1 successfully loaded last night.

Last edited:

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I’ve had 4.2.2.2 with my XLT from 4/17. Have not seen any update since. Should I be concerned?

Leroyjac75

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4.2.2.2 is the new interface for trucks with quirky modems and gateways.

4.2.1 isthe gateway update. You will hopefully receive 4.2.1.2 which is the modem update.

4.2.3 I believe is the new interface for trucks having less comma issues.
Problem was they built these trucks during a chip shortage so all trucks do not have the same chipsets in the system.

I would keep talking to Ford about the other mentioned connectivity issues.
Sponsored