• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Modem stopped working.....then worked with a weird possible fix

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
[UPDATE 2/4/23]
No luck in anyone else replicating my experience below. BUT people have consistently fixed the issue by disconnecting the battery or even better, by pulling fuse 32 in the passenger kick area. This resets the modem.

[ORIGINAL]
Hi, just a quick note that the modem in my 2023 suddenly stopped working six days ago.

I can tell it's not working because the up/down arrow icon isn't there in the top right corner of the big screen, FordPass does not get updated and can't talk to the truck, and the connected services settings would not open up.

The weird thing is I swear it's correlated with using the keypad to open the truck which I rarely do but did on that day (6 days ago) for some reason. I didn't notice it immediately, but a few days later noticed that the modem was not working.

To fix it I tried two things:

- turning off the car while leaving the driver door open for 30+ seconds. No idea why this would do anything, but someone in another forum said it might reset something.

- unlocking/relocking the door several times from the keypad. Finally, locking with the keypad, then unlocking the normal comfort access way.

The modem showed up RIGHT AWAY after doing the above two things after 6 days of not working. It could be a coincidence, but I didn't do anything else.

Maybe this will help someone else. I'd be curious if anyone else with this issue fixes it with the above steps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid, Tesla Model X, F150 Lightning
Ok, I'm game. I'll give this a go for science :)

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok, I'm game. I'll give this a go for science :)
No dice although it triggered my frunk opening which I wasn’t expecting.

I believe the only options are removing one of the connectors to the 12v battery or popping the fuse out (passenger footwell) that powers the modem.

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I believe the only options are removing one of the connectors to the 12v battery or popping the fuse out (passenger footwell) that powers the modem.
Ok, just for completeness. I took the black terminal off the 12v battery, left it for 30 seconds then reconnected it. This worked as others have reported.

I can see why Ford originally recommended the fuse trick, disconnecting the 12v battery is a more aggressive "reboot" or maybe I did it wrong there were a couple of sparks as I reconnected the terminal.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-USA_03_2022.pdf

We're talking fuse 9/8 that controls the TCU I believe. -- this is the route I'll take in the future.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

If pulling a fuse works, please let us know which one.

Pulling the negative on the LVB seems to be the only surefire workaround until we get an update from Ford.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

I suspect, with very poor data, that turning off the truck (while in it), then opening the door and leaving it open for 30 or more seconds is what reset my modem. (The locking/unlocking with keypad probably not related.)

It sounds crazy to me too but the modem started working immediately after doing this as verified on the screen and FordPass app.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The only foolproof method so far has been removing the negative lead on the 12v battery. This has been corroborated by the responses of people on this Forum and a ton of people on the Facebook group.

A fix is due in Feburary from what I've heard.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
My truck started doing this today. I'll try the witchcraft specified above. Hopefully it works because it's driving me crazy.

I love modern technology but there is something to be said about the bad old days when if something was broken it was because something was literally broken. Identify the problem, replace the part, done.

Edit: Fuse 9 did the trick!

Last edited:

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
My truck started doing this today. I'll try the witchcraft specified above. Hopefully it works because it's driving me crazy.

I love modern technology but there is something to be said about the bad old days when if something was broken it was because something was literally broken. Identify the problem, replace the part, done.

Edit: Fuse 9 did the trick!
No luck for me. Last data update was yesterday morning.

Will probably try 12v battery disconnect tomorrow.

I hate modern software. I'm a data developer and quality software no longer exists. Cheapest labor gets poorest product. There just isn't enough good talent out there and the market says crappy product is better than no product.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
No luck for me. Last data update was yesterday morning.

Will probably try 12v battery disconnect tomorrow.

I hate modern software. I'm a data developer and quality software no longer exists. Cheapest labor gets poorest product. There just isn't enough good talent out there and the market says crappy product is better than no product.
You pulled CB 9 and that didn't work? In my simple mind that is functionally the same as disconnecting the battery.🤔

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
You pulled CB 9 and that didn't work? In my simple mind that is functionally the same as disconnecting the battery.🤔
Body Control Module Fuse Box 8/9 5 amp micro 3 fuse. Tried twice leaving it out over 30 seconds the second time.

Guessing I have a different software glitch. All was well before applying 4.1.1 on the 14th but it still worked till yesterday.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Body Control Module Fuse Box 8/9 5 amp micro 3 fuse. Tried twice leaving it out over 30 seconds the second time.

Guessing I have a different software glitch. All was well before applying 4.1.1 on the 14th but it still worked till yesterday.
Bummer. The first time I saw it was also shortly after 4.1.1.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
Hi, just a quick note that the modem in my 2023 suddenly stopped working six days ago.

I can tell it's not working because the up/down arrow icon isn't there in the top right corner of the big screen, FordPass does not get updated and can't talk to the truck, and the connected services settings would not open up.

The weird thing is I swear it's correlated with using the keypad to open the truck which I rarely do but did on that day (6 days ago) for some reason. I didn't notice it immediately, but a few days later noticed that the modem was not working.

To fix it I tried two things:

- turning off the car while leaving the driver door open for 30+ seconds. No idea why this would do anything, but someone in another forum said it might reset something.

- unlocking/relocking the door several times from the keypad. Finally, locking with the keypad, then unlocking the normal comfort access way.

The modem showed up RIGHT AWAY after doing the above two things after 6 days of not working. It could be a coincidence, but I didn't do anything else.

Maybe this will help someone else. I'd be curious if anyone else with this issue fixes it with the above steps.
Mine stopped working yesterday again but I have no keypad to try. I’ll probably just have to disconnect the 12v battery again

Greenhme

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150
If pulling a fuse works, please let us know which one.

Pulling the negative on the LVB seems to be the only surefire workaround until we get an update from Ford.
Fuse 32 in the passenger side kick panel will reset the modem gateway. You will also lose your presets on the radio

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Fuse 32 in the passenger side kick panel will reset the modem gateway. You will also lose your presets on the radio
Interesting. "Radio Enhanced central gateway. " does make sense.

Do you lose radio presets when disconnecting 12v battery?
Sponsored