• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Modem stopped working.....then worked with a weird possible fix

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
The Lightning is not using a bespoke platform and is also using Sync which is why some 2023 Broncos + Mach E's are being affected. My Pro was bricked from delivery and still has no connected capability. Ford has not reached out to affected owners which is not acceptable for a vehicle that can cost upwards of 100k. I have owned EV's from 5 different manufacturers and never was pulling fuses (Tesla has no fuses) or had issues that required a dealership visit.

I just cancelled my appointment with my dealership for TSB 23-2050 as it doesn't appear Ford has a handle on this problem.
Getting my TSB 23-2050 Thursday afternoon plus various UI updates.
I completely agree zero contact from Ford to me on my $ 2023 platinum model. It’s been all me and others here on the forum here for information exclusively. Pulling fuse 32 every 48 hours until then. Seems like we should get free service & rotates & balances etc for life after all this plus more.
Sponsored

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
My Oct 22 build Lariat ER on 4.2.1 just started showing this issue with no cellular connectivity and the menu not populating.

I pulled fuse 32 for a few minutes, but that didn't work. I then toggled Wireless Projection (I use Wireless CarPlay) on off a few times, disabled WiFi (since I have an LTE booster in my home), and rebooted Sync a few more times, which appears to have temporarily fixed it. I'll be keeping tabs on this, but unlike my MME, pulling the fuse did not provide the quick fix to this issue. I'm sad to see this impacting both vehicles.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My Oct 22 build Lariat ER on 4.2.1 just started showing this issue with no cellular connectivity and the menu not populating.

I pulled fuse 32 for a few minutes, but that didn't work. I then toggled Wireless Projection (I use Wireless CarPlay) on off a few times, disabled WiFi (since I have an LTE booster in my home), and rebooted Sync a few more times, which appears to have temporarily fixed it. I'll be keeping tabs on this, but unlike my MME, pulling the fuse did not provide the quick fix to this issue. I'm sad to see this impacting both vehicles.
I don't use:
  • wireless carplay
  • wifi hotspot
  • wifi connection to my home router (you don't need it for updates)
  • blutooth phone connection
  • PAAK
And never get this problem. The ONE time I did see the problem, I might have been playing with wireless carplay (but it was a while ago).

I recommend that others try turning off all the extra wifi/blutooth stuff to see if it impacts the problem, but so far no one has reported back any results.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Getting my TSB 23-2050 Thursday afternoon plus various UI updates.
I completely agree zero contact from Ford to me on my $ 2023 platinum model. It’s been all me and others here on the forum here for information exclusively. Pulling fuse 32 every 48 hours until then. Seems like we should get free service & rotates & balances etc for life after all this plus more.
Ford sent this out last week so you might not be getting the TSB done.
Ford F-150 Lightning Modem stopped working.....then worked with a weird possible fix 1678564713465

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Ford sent this out last week so you might not be getting the TSB done.
1678564713465.png
Ford sent this? To not “preform” the update. Then they need a grammar checker if they meant “perform” lol.
hooefully I get it done. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Antimatter Blue with bed liner
Occupation
Law
What is a ‘preform’ for TSB. I hope this is a technical term and not a Scrivener’s error, meaning Ford can’t get out two sentences correctly. I don’t know the automotive world, so I’d suspect it’s something related to preparation of TSB work, right?

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
What is a ‘preform’ for TSB. I hope this is a technical term and not a Scrivener’s error, meaning Ford can’t get out two sentences correctly. I don’t know the automotive world, so I’d suspect it’s something related to preparation of TSB work, right?
They spelled it right in the title but couldn’t do it twice.

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I don't use:
  • wireless carplay
  • wifi hotspot
  • PAAK
And never get this problem. The ONE time I did see the problem, I might have been playing with wireless carplay (but it was a while ago).

I recommend that others try turning off all the extra wifi/blutooth stuff to see if it impacts the problem, but so far no one has reported back any results.
Your theory aligns with what I've observed in my testing. When I disable many of those features, the cellular connection indicator comes back...at least for a little while. However, most of those features were baseline requirements for my primary driver to agree to the purchase. So, it's not really a valid "workaround" in my case.

It sounds like I may just need to plan on once a quarter FDRS updates since I can't rely on the cellular modem....I truly hope Ford gets their act together on this. So many issues that are effectively table stakes in this market.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I don't use:
  • wireless carplay
  • wifi hotspot
  • PAAK

seriously? I’d rather pull the battery every morning than not have these features. Significant reasons why I bought the truck-especially PAAK!

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
seriously? I’d rather pull the battery every morning than not have these features. Significant reasons why I bought the truck-especially PAAK!
For now, I'd rather not pull the fuse all the time.

But I also don't care about any of those features. I don't mind having the fob with me. :)

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Agree 100% on daily resets for PAAK if it takes it as key fobs are so yesterday “imho”.
These basic modern features do not require a rocket scientist to implement properly…..however if they do then they can anyways try to hire one from Tesla lol.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....

Yabra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER

On the same boat.. Recent update 4.2.2 broke it for the first time. Pulling/putting fuse didn't seem to fix the modem even after disabling all other connectivity settings

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
After a month of flakiness and multiple fuse pulls, I’ve now gone three full weeks without having to reset the modem, and along the way, have received a couple updates. One of the updates indicated that it was a modem fix. I know I’ve now jinxed myself, but here’s hoping, the modem stays online.

Crimnl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Bee Keeper
After a month of flakiness and multiple fuse pulls, I’ve now gone three full weeks without having to reset the modem, and along the way, have received a couple updates. One of the updates indicated that it was a modem fix. I know I’ve now jinxed myself, but here’s hoping, the modem stays online.
Agreed, I am in the same boat, I think they have figured it out.
Sponsored