• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS-to-NACS extension cable

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Please provide your source that they are getting Government Money for the NACS deal with other EV manufacturers. I have heard this stated but never seen any evidence of it.

All the NEVI money requires CCS adapters from my understanding so only new Magic Docks in alignment with that States program and locations would qualify for that program.
Not clear it requires the CCS adapters.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/wh...ral-dollars-long-they-include-ccs-2023-06-09/
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
You need to read closer. These are all NEVI based articles. Here is one snippet that sums it up.
Ford F-150 Lightning NACS-to-NACS extension cable 1709775253829

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If my company (manufacturing based) installs a NEVI based charger as part of that program does the random public get to tell me how to run other parts of my business unrelated to being compliant with that program?

Many companies took PPP money. Does that mean Joe blow gets to tell them how the run certain parts of their company.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is a video highlighting the very 1st NEVI funded charger just 2 months ago. If v3 superchargers qualified this would not gave been the 1st one… there were already 10k plus superchargers out there by this point!!

most states just started soliciting bids. Not sure how Teslas been awarded money from NEVI for existing v3 chargers as you stated.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JohnnyEV

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I think the extender cable is a good idea. It will solve the issue if Ford doesn't move the charging port when switching to NACS and you arrive at V3 station with the short cable. By the way I hope they don't change the location. I installed my out door charger to reach the current charge port location with only a few feet of slack lol.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm with you in that I probably wont buy it, as I assume it will be pricey. So we are in the same boat there.

However I do not share what you and many others seem to is a continued animosity towards Tesla. I am VERY APPRECIATVE they opened up NACS, I'm appreciate they got deals done with other Manufacturers to access their network. I'm appreciative I can now road trip my truck with confidence. Do I wish the v3 cables were longer? yes. Do I feel that company owes me this at their extensive cost, no. They made a change in business philosophy, one that, again I am grateful for. I don't feel like they owe me anything. I will be appreciative to have a NACS to NACS extension available in the market because consumer options are good for consumers / users.

They made a very reasonable decision, once I again I am sure correlating with their mid-stream change in strategy regarding their charging network, to make the v4 designs different to still have a nice aesthetic while incorporating a longer cable for other vehicles. Again, I'm appreciative to Tesla for that as well.
Exactly!!!!

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
I will probably buy it to ease the use of the super chargers. I would rather buy it from Ford but it doesn't really matter. Even if Ford eventually moves the charge port they won't be moving mine and Tesla is not changing all of the cables on their chargers. I spent 80k on a truck I will spend a little more to make it better.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I will probably buy it to ease the use of the super chargers. I would rather buy it from Ford but it doesn't really matter. Even if Ford eventually moves the charge port they won't be moving mine and Tesla is not changing all of the cables on their chargers. I spent 80k on a truck I will spend a little more to make it better.
what he said!!

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Now if could ask that of all entities taking money from the Feds ... but alias, I digress

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I personally don't see the need, myself.

Why should I spend my money to make thier product work? Shouldn't Tesla have to make their dispenser compatible to the product they are trying to serve?

I get the adaptor. All vehicles are adopting the same standard, we just got in too early. But without a mandated standardized port location, it's their responsibility, not mine.
Just don't use the Tesla Chargers if the cable is not long enough, and you don't want to buy the extension. You can stick to what you have been using.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Yeah, I’m happy to have access too. But don’t get it twisted. They’re doing it for the money. A boatload of public money. Once a company accepts public funds, the public has an expectation that the product works for them.
The opening up of Tesla superchargers has nothing to do with public funding. Tesla has bid for public DC fast charging but those are new installs with additional requirements like credit card readers.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm seeing quite a few Brand NEW DC Fast Chargers popping up on PLUGSHARE in my area of west central to central to north GEORGIA... especially near I75 ... mostly at CircleK and other 'gas stations', where it certainly makes a lot of sense... see one at a Wendy's, too, and some other more 'odd' locations - if they have plenty of parking area, then yes... that's just fine with me, too...

some of these are Georgia Power hosted CHARGEPOINT 125kw shared stations, while others are other brands, even 150kw EACH station, and even a 'FRANCIS' brand that we have never been exposed to here, yet.... I'm seeing in north Georgia, especially I85, the 'branded' DIESEL Truck Stop stations, like LOVES and others with either third-party chargers, or the GM 'branded' EVgo pull-thru type station options... g r e a t .... t o ..... f i n a l l y .... S E E :)

with the announcement of NACS opening and ADAPTERS coming, this is fantastic for the summer driving season... looking forward to it.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I personally don't see the need, myself.

Why should I spend my money to make thier product work? Shouldn't Tesla have to make their dispenser compatible to the product they are trying to serve?

I get the adaptor. All vehicles are adopting the same standard, we just got in too early. But without a mandated standardized port location, it's their responsibility, not mine.
However, it’s definitely our problem when Tesla drivers get p.o.’d because we’re taking up two spaces at a Supercharger. I’d pay for a cable (or better still, an adapter with an extension cable permanently attached), just to avoid the inevitable confrontations.
Sponsored