• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Our '23 Ioniq 5 has that feature. Would never use it to park in a tight spot but it's super handy for moving the car out of the garage if I need it out but don't intend to drive it.
I know Hyundai's have had it for several years at least now. c'mon Ford...

hls811

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2023 F150 Lightning XLT -Ordered 10/3/23
I've had a '21 MME that had WAL and now my '23 MME also has it, and I rely on that all the time...but my '22 Lightning doesn't, and since the difference is purely software from what I can tell, I've never understood why WAL wasn't enabled on the Lightning from the beginning.
I sold my MME when I got my XLT Lightning and so far the only thing I miss is the walk away lock. I am constantly keeping it unlocked because I forget about it. By the time I break the habit and start clicking the button, Ford will push this feature out.🤣

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Ok, I'll be the odd one out... I actually prefer the Lightning's current implementation of locking and unlocking. I'd be happy to have walk away locking added, but would probably choose to keep the current setting.

Our Rivian has walk away lock and it's a pain in the butt. It's slow to unlock - I'm usually stuck waiting by the truck for it to unlock. And locking is odd - sometimes it locks when I walk away about 15 feet, most other times it won't lock until I'm at least 100 feet away. At this point I'm pretty sure they've got it programmed to randomly lock or unlock at various distances. It's always waking up when I don't want it to, and locking me out when I walk to the back to get something from the tailgate.

With the Lightning it reliably locks and unlocks when I need it to. It's been simple, doesn't wake the truck up when I don't need it to, it just works.

Sponsored

trailcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning - Lariat ER
Ok, I'll be the odd one out... I actually prefer the Lightning's current implementation of locking and unlocking. I'd be happy to have walk away locking added, but would probably choose to keep the current setting.

Our Rivian has walk away lock and it's a pain in the butt. It's slow to unlock - I'm usually stuck waiting by the truck for it to unlock. And locking is odd - sometimes it locks when I walk away about 15 feet, most other times it won't lock until I'm at least 100 feet away. At this point I'm pretty sure they've got it programmed to randomly lock or unlock at various distances. It's always waking up when I don't want it to, and locking me out when I walk to the back to get something from the tailgate.

With the Lightning it reliably locks and unlocks when I need it to. It's been simple, doesn't wake the truck up when I don't need it to, it just works.
True, it's only a valuable feature when it works. On our Tesla, it's been rock solid all these years to the point where you truly miss it when using another vehicle.

Reactions: GDN

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Walk Away Lock has nothing to do with PaaK. It works with keys, i.e. fobs OR PaaK, when they walk away from the truck. And it also times out, i.e. locks after x min if it misses the walk away.

Mach-E has it, all Lightnings are supposed to get it via update.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Walk Away Lock has nothing to do with PaaK. It works with keys, i.e. fobs OR PaaK, when they walk away from the truck. And it also times out, i.e. locks after x min if it misses the walk away.

Mach-E has it, all Lightnings are supposed to get it via update.
Do you know if it can be set to lock after x minutes instead of at walk away?
Thanks.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know if it can be set to lock after x minutes instead of at walk away?
Thanks.
It cannot be set at all, it simply can be turned off or on. If on, it's like 2 minutes where it locks IF it didn't lock with Walk Away.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I know Hyundai's have had it for several years at least now. c'mon Ford...
I had an EV6 with this feature. It's important to note that it worked with your key fob, not an app. I presume it did it this way because using an app to move your car is a bad idea given slow response time, unlike the fob which was instant response.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Thanks Rick. My daughter complains of walk away lock. Unload one twin, carry into house back to garage to get other twin car locked. I would think others with small ones may have same. With them walking now may no longer be problem.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I had an EV6 with this feature. It's important to note that it worked with your key fob, not an app. I presume it did it this way because using an app to move your car is a bad idea given slow response time, unlike the fob which was instant response.
You can always tell the ones that haven't owned a Tesla. The app is rock solid and quick. You never worried twice about not having a fob.

I really miss this feature (prev Model 3 owner) and hope the Lightning does get it, but first I hope it has a decent implementation and works reliably. Some sort of audible feedback would be nice when it locks. It doesn't have to be a horn honk. I know it won't be like Tesla where you can choose one of many audible sounds, but our trucks have beepers for the tailgate, the frunk, backing up, choose a beep beep from one of those perhaps.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks Rick. My daughter complains of walk away lock. Unload one twin, carry into house back to garage to get other twin car locked. I would think others with small ones may have same. With them walking now may no longer be problem.
That’s not an issue unless she leaves the fob (phone) in the house on the initial trip. When I park in my garage, the fob stays in the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FOB or PaaK in vehicle, what's the issue? Open door, grab twin.

I'd call it a safety feature. Get twin, close door, truck locks. Come back, twin is still in truck...

You can always tell the ones that haven't owned a Tesla. The app is rock solid and quick. You never worried twice about not having a fob.

I really miss this feature (prev Model 3 owner) and hope the Lightning does get it, but first I hope it has a decent implementation and works reliably. Some sort of audible feedback would be nice when it locks. It doesn't have to be a horn honk. I know it won't be like Tesla where you can choose one of many audible sounds, but our trucks have beepers for the tailgate, the frunk, backing up, choose a beep beep from one of those perhaps.
It's going to be a honk.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
That’s not an issue unless she leaves the fob (phone) in the house on the initial trip. When I park in my garage, the fob stays in the truck.
No paak. Fob in purse. Not Ford. Must carry fob both trips. Maybe she now leaving purse in car. Don't know.
Sponsored