• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
p. 294 - Drive modes. Surprised that one pedal driving isn't engaged with all modes. I would hope or assume some regen is still captured. I find it odd though that once you get used to one-pedal you would want it and it could useful in all drive modes. I understand however in Tow Mode you'd likely still need more braking to assist a stop.
if it handles like the Mach-E, which it should given that it's a shared platform, you will always get regenerative braking; the difference is the aggressiveness, if you will. In 1PD, it's noticeably stronger than without.

literally just had this discussion with my gf yesterday:
  • "what does 1PD do?"
  • "it aggressively does regeneration instead of coasting"
  • "oh, my C-Max does that though, right, isn't that what the spinning circle on the dash means?"
  • "yes, it's a difference in the strength of the regenerative braking"
I then showed her a demonstration of the two and she said it didn't feel that different, but I suspect that's because she wasn't the driver. As a driver, it's very, very noticeable how quickly you decelerate on 1PD once you take your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Ford has a lot of experience going back to their hybrid offerings in the early 2010s with blending regenerative and friction braking... in the Mach-E they are still feeling out how exactly to do it well (it's been changed with an OTA to be a bit smoother on the transition) but it's not new for them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
How often is this required on the MME? I have had to do it twice in 9 years with the gen 1 Volt.
Extremally rare, at least in my case. I think I had to do it once ever, in the last year+. And really I think that came from a over the air update lagging the thing after the car started.. I probably could have waited it out.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
if it handles like the Mach-E, which it should given that it's a shared platform, you will always get regenerative braking; the difference is the aggressiveness, if you will. In 1PD, it's noticeably stronger than without.

literally just had this discussion with my gf yesterday:
  • "what does 1PD do?"
  • "it aggressively does regeneration instead of coasting"
  • "oh, my C-Max does that though, right, isn't that what the spinning circle on the dash means?"
  • "yes, it's a difference in the strength of the regenerative braking"
I then showed her a demonstration of the two and she said it didn't feel that different, but I suspect that's because she wasn't the driver. As a driver, it's very, very noticeable how quickly you decelerate on 1PD once you take your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Ford has a lot of experience going back to their hybrid offerings in the early 2010s with blending regenerative and friction braking... in the Mach-E they are still feeling out how exactly to do it well (it's been changed with an OTA to be a bit smoother on the transition) but it's not new for them.
Thanks I anticipated regen would be there. Your experience with Ford will be closer to reality. Mine is with Tesla. Before they implemented one pedal driving you get regen down to about 6 MPH and then the regen disengages and you free roll and you control with acceleration or braking.

With the one pedal driving however as you note it takes you down to a stop and engages hold. This can be a hard concept to "want" until you get it - then it is a great thing. However, once I get used to it I would want it in most drive modes unless I shut it off. I get the snow and ice as mentioned earlier, but I would think it would even make rock crawling easier/better.

Anyway, my gut says 'on all the time', then give me a button on the dash to turn it off easily for any mode should I need it set off. I'm hopeful I will learn more even though I've had it for 2 years as all other drivers and then Feedback to Ford should help evolve it.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
How often is this required on the MME? I have had to do it twice in 9 years with the gen 1 Volt.
With wired carplay I did it today while driving home. 2019 f150. So,I welcome wireless CarPlay.
so, currently several times a year.

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
That would cost like 50 cents. More likely a chip issue
I didn’t see anything about ambient lighting. Does anyone know if you can change the ambient lighting colors or is it just the one color all over
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 F-150 Lightning Owner's Manual Released! [PDF Download] 📒 818DAD1A-621B-49BA-8216-441DB76F026D
update;
this sucks. Saw this in another forum. Evidently they advertise it is there - with pictures too. So it‘s not there. Really 80k and it doesn’t come with a common nicety. Bummer

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
All right show of hands. - how many of you dorks (I will be the first one to raise my hand) have read this owners manual cover to cover? I will not even be getting a 2022?!? What is going on…

illusion86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
818DAD1A-621B-49BA-8216-441DB76F026D.jpeg
update;
this sucks. Saw this in another forum. Evidently they advertise it is there - with pictures too. So it‘s not there. Really 80k and it doesn’t come with a common nicety. Bummer
Wild it doesn’t come with that…

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
All right show of hands. - how many of you dorks (I will be the first one to raise my hand) have read this owners manual cover to cover? I will not even be getting a 2022?!? What is going on…
Fell asleep about 200 pages in. It’s a rainy day here, napping encouraged today.

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
I wish they did two distinct versions for the two different Sync screen sizes. It's confusing in places to try to follow what is happening page to page between the two, especially in the early parts where there's things like pictures of controls with two different "See [something] on page [something]" type references immediately next to each other, one for the smaller screen and one for the larger.

yes, this is a very specific thing and it's not a huge deal. Just an annoyance.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I wish they did two distinct versions for the two different Sync screen sizes. It's confusing in places to try to follow what is happening page to page between the two, especially in the early parts where there's things like pictures of controls with two different "See [something] on page [something]" type references immediately next to each other, one for the smaller screen and one for the larger.

yes, this is a very specific thing and it's not a huge deal. Just an annoyance.
Yes, when you consider often 12" comes first, but sometimes 15" is first.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Have read about 450 pages. Way too much fluff in it - agree with @GoGoGadgetTruck - with an online version it would have been easy to select which screen you have and then read the appropriate sections.

There are so many lawyers involved it is just insane what they write in and add to each section.

I'll also go on record - Ford has complicated it TOO much. They must simplify. They are doing what they've always done, but once supply chain is worked out and they can get the right parts - they must simplify. The number of options just for the automated driving parts. Lane Centering, Lane keeping, cruise, lane keep cruise, curve lane centering, curve lane centering cruise, adaptive cruise, lane adaptive cruise, hands on the steering wheel cruise, blue cruise.

I may be exaggerating a bit there, but likely 50 pages to describe it all, just insane. Lets just get down to no cruise, old cruise and fancy do it all cruise. They have to simplify.

It helps simplify supply chain, it helps ordering, it helps building and it helps users trying to understand. I read and keep up with a lot of this, I've got a Model 3 with FSD and Ford has just gone stupid over the number of options.

I read through this portion of the manual and I'll have to do it again and then finally get to drive to truly grasp the nuances between the different versions that truly should be boiled down just 2 or 3 options.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I'm not sure what you'd be "breaking in" with an electric drivetrain.
818DAD1A-621B-49BA-8216-441DB76F026D.jpeg
update;
I don't think they ever promised color-changing ambient lighting or deployable running boards at the time of order. You could select the running boards through dealer orders but they were not available online. They're canceled for MY22 so you don't have to pay for them--it's not like they're going to make you pay for the option if you don't get the boards!

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Last edited by a moderator:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Owner's Manual p420 shows battery on the side of frunk. Truck King video (2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Review) shows battery straight back in the middle for access. Also, I think a saw one where there were Positive & Negative connections near the front edge of the Frunk? Any one know what the real story is?
Also, we should carry a $50 Li-ion battery jumper box instead of jumper cables, right?
Sponsored