• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Many people have done range experiments in my electric motorcycle groups and have found that coasting when off the throttle results in a greater range per charge than allowing regen to engage when off the throttle. As a result many prefer the choice to have regen only engage when actively braking so as to allow coasting in all scenarios where they don't want to slow down rapidly or maintain speed.

When I get my truck, I'll prioritize my decision based first off of comfort and second off of impact on range.
TBH this seems like common sense to me. For example, if you go down a flat road with "one pedal" on you are constantly putting energy in the battery when in regin and pulling energy away when stepping on the pedal. It may be small, but there will be transition losses.

Coasting all the energy goes toward vehicle motion(minus friction). It should be more efficient.

*IF* you can stop using the brake pedal without using the friction brakes(blended braking) and coast on the flats, you'd conserve range more than one pedal due to transition(or is it transmission?) losses. I'm sure some others would disagree, but to me it seems like basic physics....
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
On our Chevy bolt it was super easy to switch between the two. Pull the shifter back to switch, pull it again to switch. Our Volvo has one pedal driving buried in a menu (tap, tap, scroll, tap all in different places on the screen or say "ok Google, turn off one pedal driving"). If you choose the ok Google method your audio stops for the entire time the system is thinking/interacting. One sucks, the other sucks more, it just depends on whatever else you are doing to determine which one is the sucks more. We tend to drive with opd on, though it no at be a bit more efficient to coast more.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
TBH this seems like common sense to me. For example, if you go down a flat road with "one pedal" on you are constantly putting energy in the battery when in regin and pulling energy away when stepping on the pedal. It may be small, but there will be transition losses.

Coasting all the energy goes toward vehicle motion(minus friction). It should be more efficient.

*IF* you can stop using the brake pedal without using the friction brakes(blended braking) and coast on the flats, you'd conserve range more than one pedal due to transition(or is it transmission?) losses. I'm sure some others would disagree, but to me it seems like basic physics....
Yes your physics understanding is correct. As an EV driver, an easy toggle is desirable so that you can coast when you want and have opd functionality when you want.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I *do* think it is important to mention here that unlike Tesla Ford does have a blended braking system. You will get regen whether you choose to drive in one pedal OR lightly use the brake pedal. Obviously if you mash the pedal you will engage friction brakes when you pass the limit of max regen, but under normal circumstances you regen with the brake pedal.

It is my understanding with Tesla you have to use One pedal for regen, the brake pedal is strictly friction brakes.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
This is correct until this month. A Tesla SW release is apparently updating their algorithms to use some regen from the brake pedal. I don't have the SW yet, not sure how it will turn out.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
One pedal all the way. If you haven't driven that way you get used to it very quick.

On one pedal - yes brake lights come on depending on how hard you stop, etc. If you are just slowing, they don't or shouldn't. Each manufacture has that worked out, you don't have to worry about the brake lights.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is correct until this month. A Tesla SW release is apparently updating their algorithms to use some regen from the brake pedal. I don't have the SW yet, not sure how it will turn out.
That will be interesting. Combining regen and friction brakes is a tedious issue to get an effective but smooth transition....Ford, Toyota, etc have been working on it for years.

Paulightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1993 Cobra, 1995 Bronco, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I use one pedal, and I've driven several Tesla Model 3s, and a few Mach-Es. To me, Ford has significantly improved the one pedal driving on the Lightning vs how it felt on the Mach-E. It comes to a stop a little better than the Mach-E did IMO.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That will be interesting. Combining regen and friction brakes is a tedious issue to get an effective but smooth transition....Ford, Toyota, etc have been working on it for years.
I had to go find the release notes. So Tesla wants to use and blend in the brakes when regen isn't possible to keep a single user experience.

Regenerative Braking (Specific versions of Model 3 & Y)
Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had to go find the release notes. So Tesla wants to use and blend in the brakes when regen isn't possible to keep a single user experience.

Regenerative Braking (Specific versions of Model 3 & Y)
Your vehicle can now automatically apply regular brakes for consistent deceleration when regenerative braking is limited due to battery temperature or state of charge. To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

So it appears to me like Tesla wants to be able to friction brakes in "one pedal driving" if the system cannot regen....NOT add regenerative brakes to the pedal. It appears like the pedal will still be 100% friction.. based upon the description above.

Sponsored

Lucky EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ioniq5, ZeroS
I think Hyundai nailed it with the paddle regen adjusting in the Ioniq5. You can switch from full coast to 3 different level of regen or 1 pedal on the fly on a whim.

Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F350 diesel dually, 2020 Platinum Escape Hybr
Occupation
Retired
Even though we’re loving OPD, our mechanic cautioned us to use regular braking periodically. He said he had a Tesla owner who only used OPD who found his brakes had rusted and seized from disuse.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It was weird for a day or two but after that i loved OPD in my Bolt. I plan to use it in the Lightning as well.
Sponsored