• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Owners - Do you drive in one pedal mode or traditional ?

Do you drive in one pedal drive mode or traditional?

• Total voters

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Even though we’re loving OPD, our mechanic cautioned us to use regular braking periodically. He said he had a Tesla owner who only used OPD who found his brakes had rusted and seized from disuse.
With blended brakes we may be getting some friction braking even in opd (Tesla is different). Also if you are very light on the brakes, even with opd turned off you can get rusty brakes. Mine never seized, but on our phev the rotors look awful. I would guess that the lightning is the same as my other EV/phev experience and putting the truck in neutral and braking would engage only friction brakes. There is talk about using the parking brake while driving to try to clean the rotors. I have removed and greased caliper slides and cleaned rust off the caliper brackets multiple times to keep things moving properly. It doesn't help that we spread copious amounts of salt on our roads in the winter.
Sponsored

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, P*2, XC90, 1964.5 Mustang,
Same,

My wife hates one pedal though, so I am glad Ford gave the option.

From what I have read online, being a current or former stick shift driver means you are more likely to like / adapt to 1 pedal driving better. It really isn't that different from engine breaking.
This is exactly us with our Polestar. I’m always in 1 pedal, she hates it. My first two cars were sticks, she only had automatics.

Chemeng1661

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER - Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I prefer to drive in Sport mode with one pedal turned off. In sport mode, there is light regeneration when you lift off the accelerator (brake lights do not come on, however). This mode works great for country roads with twists and turns. I found this to be the most efficient combo for me.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
The regen works great on the lightning and one pedal driving is pretty easy in it. Coming from a Tesla to a lightning, it took very little adjustment time.
Agreed 100%. When I first drove a Lightning, I hadn't enabled one pedal mode yet, and was immediately thrown off by the creep when I putt it in reverse. Once I put it in one pedal, it felt right.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Same,

My wife hates one pedal though, so I am glad Ford gave the option.

From what I have read online, being a current or former stick shift driver means you are more likely to like / adapt to 1 pedal driving better. It really isn't that different from engine breaking.
I am a stick shift driver (for 55 years) and I HATE one-pedal mode; it seems so strange.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I am a stick shift driver (for 55 years) and I HATE one-pedal mode; it seems so strange.
It does, but so did the automatic for many. If you don't use it, you're wasting some potential juice, so it is about maximizing the savings. There are some aruguments about coasting in situations, but regen and one pedal will put juice back in the tank.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Feels very similar to engine breaking in a low gear (1st or 2nd). Maybe a little more aggressive.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I do not use one pedal driving and probably never will. Don’t see the point over coasting. Every time you hit the regen you are losing energy.
  • It is more inefficient
  • the constant jerky back and forth is annoying , esp for the deciding vote in my hose the wife. Makes her sick.
  • It can be downright dangerous at times in my area with black ice and icy rain esp. downhill portions when you don’t want any sudden moves.
I wish the truck coasted. Same problem on Mach-E where there is slight brake if you take your foot off pedal. On Lightning you can see it on screen, on Mach-E they don't show it even that I can see.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I do not use one pedal driving and probably never will. Don’t see the point over coasting. Every time you hit the regen you are losing energy.
  • It is more inefficient
  • the constant jerky back and forth is annoying , esp for the deciding vote in my hose the wife. Makes her sick.
  • It can be downright dangerous at times in my area with black ice and icy rain esp. downhill portions when you don’t want any sudden moves.
I wish the truck coasted. Same problem on Mach-E where there is slight brake if you take your foot off pedal. On Lightning you can see it on screen, on Mach-E they don't show it even that I can see.
So let's be really clear here:

Coasting is more efficient than regen (60-80% recovery) if you need to continue coasting
Regen is more efficient than friction brakes if you need to stop

So yes, it is probably true that someone who pays attention to when friction brakes blend in can maximize their energy conservation by coasting, it is absolutely NOT true that coasting is more efficient if you are coasting up to a stop sign at 50 mph and aggressively brake as you arrive to the stop sign.

Some people drive differently than others - for me, in my Tesla, regen is more efficient because I maintain speed for the longest possible period then use regen to recapture the energy and almost never use my friction brake (5 mph or less, holding the car at an intersection, etc.)

I've learned to modulate the "go pedal" in the Tesla to hold the energy meter at 0 to coast, and to lift when I want to regen. I must assume Ford can handle that method too in one-pedal mode?

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
I've learned to modulate the "go pedal" in the Tesla to hold the energy meter at 0 to coast, and to lift when I want to regen. I must assume Ford can handle that method too in one-pedal mode?
I can't speak to the Lightning yet, but the Mach-E, yes, you can "feather" or "modulate" the pedal. The mapping has changed on the Mach-E over time based on feedback, at least once, so it seems Ford might still be working out what it wants to do here.

There are definitely people that don't like or feel comfortable with 1PD, and that's fine, that's why the option is there, I reckon. :)

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
You will get regen whether you choose to drive in one pedal OR lightly use the brake pedal.
This makes me VERY happy to hear/read.

I'm one of those weird left foot brakers and I perfer to stick to a more traditional setup vs. one pedal, but if regen hadn't been available then this ol' dog would have to learn new tricks.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Prius Prime
Occupation
Technical Support
I feel like 30% of voters have never experienced the joy of one pedal driving. Once you drive that way for a few hundred miles it's really hard to go back.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I feel like 30% of voters have never experienced the joy of one pedal driving. Once you drive that way for a few hundred miles it's really hard to go back.
I think it really depends where you do most of your driving. For city driving, I like being able to follow traffic using a single pedal. I do most of my driving on country roads and find it much easier using standard mode to let off the gas and coast most of the way to a stop sign vs. having to pay attention and feather the pedal off lightly until I get to the stop sign. Standard mode gives you some regen by just letting off the pedal and the same regen as single pedal when applying the "brake." I have committed to stick with single pedal for a week to see if I end up liking it better in all cases.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I drive a bunch of different vehicles weekly, I’m not interested in causing an accident because I get confused in something other than the Lightning.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Coming from Tesla’s excellent 1PD, I am very impressed with the implementation in the Lightning. There is a little bit of a lag compared to my MYP but I was able to dial in the timing pretty quickly.
Sponsored