• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertools. Corded vs battery. Back to cords?

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I have a pretty good collection of m18 tools which get plenty of use around the house

I’m thinking of buying the leaf blower and it got me thinking. I’m only going to be using it to blow out the garage and driveway, and dry furniture or other outdoor cleaning. Why not look for something that can take advantage of the 7.2 kW 30A plug?

I haven’t found a good candidate but note that I have the big battery of the truck I’m questioning the need for some of the battery tools

has anyone here made the switch? If so, what are you using? If not, have you thought about it? I’m thinking pressure washer and blower
Sponsored

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Pressure washer yes corded. I don’t think you’ll find much in battery power. Everything else cordless.

I’ll never switch back to corded. Lithium batteries like the m18 power tools for a good amount of time anymore. Use the truck to charge your batteries if you’re somewhere were it’s needed.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have a whole collection of battery powered tools. Leaf Blower, Weed Trimer and Chain Saw. And of course Drills and Saws-all.

Never looked back.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a corded leaf blower (120V) and a corded chain saw. Corded was way cheaper, even counting for a good extension cord and the truck gives me all the power I need.

Still have a battery powered drill/driver and lawn mower since I didn't want to deal with a cord with them.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Dude. Use the battery and keep a spare mounted in a charger in the back of the truck. Swap as needed: unlimited blowing facilitated by the Pro Power Onboard!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I don’t like dragging cords around. I’ll stick with battery-powered tools unless the power requirement makes it impractical.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have a pretty good collection of m18 tools which get plenty of use around the house

I’m thinking of buying the leaf blower and it got me thinking. I’m only going to be using it to blow out the garage and driveway, and dry furniture or other outdoor cleaning. Why not look for something that can take advantage of the 7.2 kW 30A plug?

I haven’t found a good candidate but note that I have the big battery of the truck I’m questioning the need for some of the battery tools

has anyone here made the switch? If so, what are you using? If not, have you thought about it? I’m thinking pressure washer and blower
Why not? Versus battery power?

Because you charge the truck, which includes loss from wall to truck, then you power the tool from the truck. Inefficient. Why wouldn't you plug the tool directly into the house?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I have outlets in my garage and on the outside of my house. Why would having an outlet on my truck make me want to switch back to corded tools? Extension cords are a pain in the butt too. If you are remote then use the truck outlets for the chargers

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Why not? Versus battery power?

Because you charge the truck, which includes loss from wall to truck, then you power the tool from the truck. Inefficient. Why wouldn't you plug the tool directly into the house?
Because you are not always working right beside your house. My first job, when the truck gets here will be to build a treehouse down in the woods for my kid. I have a path that I can back the trick down to the target tree. I can back the bed right up to the tree trunk on two sides. I'll use the bed to drill support rods into the tree, and lift the incredibly heavy 6 x 6's into place to support the structure. Then I will have to cut all of the boards needed to build it out, and again the bed will be a work platform. All of this is happening 1000 ft from my garage. I'll be running work lights and a mitre saw via plugs in the bed and I will have a battery pack charging in the Frunk for the rest of the hand power tools.

Last week I built and installed shelving for a buddies extensive LP record collection, and I did all the cuts in his driveway. It was a 300+ ft run from the nearest power outlet. Extension cords won't cut it over that distance.

Stuff like that happens all the time.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Because you are not always working right beside your house. My first job, when the truck gets here will be to build a treehouse down in the woods for my kid. I have a path that I can back the trick down to the target tree. I can back the bed right up to the tree trunk on two sides. I'll use the bed to drill support rods into the tree, and lift the incredibly heavy 6 x 6's into place to support the structure. Then I will have to cut all of the boards needed to build it out, and again the bed will be a work platform. All of this is happening 1000 ft from my garage. I'll be running work lights and a mitre saw via plugs in the bed and I will have a battery pack charging in the Frunk for the rest of the hand power tools.

Last week I built and installed shelving for a buddies extensive LP record collection, and I did all the cuts in his driveway. It was a 300+ ft run from the nearest power outlet. Extension cords won't cut it over that distance.

Stuff like that happens all the time.
All relevant. None are using a blower right next to the house...

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Radial saw and chain saw. Who uses battery and which brand? I’ve been using 20v for years but those saws are corded for me.

OP
OP

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
The M18 stuff is great, but one of the motivations is horsepower

The impressive M18 blower p/n 2724-20 gives 120 MPH air at 450 cfm

A 1 hp air mover gives 4000 cfm (brand dryer, or others). That’s 120v … I am looking too see if there are any 220v 30 amp equipment but haven’t found anything yet

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The M18 stuff is great, but one of the motivations is horsepower

The impressive M18 blower p/n 2724-20 gives 120 MPH air at 450 cfm

A 1 hp air mover gives 4000 cfm (brand dryer, or others). That’s 120v … I am looking too see if there are any 220v 30 amp equipment but haven’t found anything yet
I've converted most things to battery. I had gas powered Ryobi Expand-It weed wacker, edger, etc. I got rid of the gas head and switched to 40v, using the same base tools, and added a blower, a hedge trimmer, ... 18V is inadequate. 40v is much better.

I have 3 batteries that I cycle between, because if I weedwack the entire property, I go through 2+ batteries.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
My Ozark mountain house is essentially in a forest, and in the fall, I am buried in leaves. Combine that with a winding and steep driveway that is a quarter of a mile long, also through the forest, and I was recently in the market for a new, more powerful leaf blower. And because of the driveway, I assumed it would need to be cordless.

But the last weekend I went to Harbor Freight and bought a corded Bauer blower for $65 - a tiny fraction of what I was about to spend on a well reviewed 56v brand.

Why? Because I realized I had a mobile power source - my Lightning - that would allow me to work anywhere on my property and for essentially unlimited amounts of time without worrying about battery capacity.

By the way, the Bauer blower is a monster - it not only moves huge piles of leaves, but in some areas where there were matted old leaves from prior autumns, it was stripping them off the ground, too. Just get yourself some ear protection.

Reactions: s_c

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Building a tree house! Great construction project, and perfect for the 3/4" 120volt drill, the 120 volt saws for timbers, and a 120v air compressor for nail gun. I use battery for small hand held drills and such, but for heavy work there too weak and slow. The 120volt chainsaw is perfect for the lightning frunk.
Sponsored