• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
I have ~200 mile each way trip planned for this weekend and this has me nervous.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I have ~200 mile each way trip planned for this weekend and this has me nervous.
Yea, it's kind of hard because truck has been perfect since I got it back, from repair in January. I just received a "customer satisfaction notice" yesterday and though well I can wait. Just wish there was some heads up. Apparently the truck has been sending "notifications" about errors, but they clear. Would be nice if those we sent to Ford Pass, but I understand it could cause a lot of panic if they are erroneous errors.

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Yea, it's kind of hard because truck has been perfect since I got it back, from repair in January. I just received a "customer satisfaction notice" yesterday and though well I can wait. Just wish there was some heads up. Apparently the truck has been sending "notifications" about errors, but they clear. Would be nice if those we sent to Ford Pass, but I understand it could cause a lot of panic if they are erroneous errors.
Luckily, I havenā€™t had to have any repair done yet, and I did receive the letter a few days ago for the update. My dealer couldnā€™t get me in until Monday.
This is my first ā€œlongā€ trip with my wife and baby and I donā€™t need anything to go wrong.

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
This time itā€™s module 5. I think I would have been more comfortable if it was the same module. At this point feel like @Ford Motor Company should replace whole battery. If not when is the next module going to fail (thereā€™s 9 of them). Not to be on here crying the blues šŸ˜.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I didnā€™t post about mine but on August 18th, with a 78% SOC and a fine day in terms of temperature and weather, my power output dropped to 56% on a treacherous two mile drive consisting of well maintained roads with no real change in elevation. Turning it off and back on a few times didnā€™t help. Obviously.

I called @Ford Motor Company about it because šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜¬ and they advised me to get it to the dealership as anll appeared in order on what it was reporting home. The next morning, power output appeared normal. The drive to the dealership was fine, nothing amiss. ā€¦and they couldnā€™t find anything wrong. But honestly, Iā€™m not sure they even looked. I was pretty happy with my first experience of this dealership (purchasing) but the first service department experience, to put it in terms that wonā€™t get me banned here, frickinā€™ sucked. [cutting tangent here]

..Since August, I havenā€™t had another powertrain malfunction message. The thing has worked, and worked fine. I drove 540 miles today including thousands of feet of elevation change and it worked perfectly.

Footnote: @Ford Motor Company, how do I get a smooth service experience where people neither gaslight nor hang up on me? Let me know, thanks! :D

This time itā€™s module 5. I think I would have been more comfortable if it was the same module. At this point feel like @Ford Motor Company should replace whole battery. If not when is the next module going to fail (thereā€™s 9 of them). Not to be on here crying the blues šŸ˜.
Yikes, sorry to hear that! šŸ’Æ repair five without a full replacement? Iā€™d be seriously considering šŸ‹ at that point.

Sponsored

mluzzy1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Occupation
CARPENTER
This popped up on my truck yesterday although my power wasn't reduced. Stayed on overnight and through a couple drives today. Now it's gone on my dash and in Fordpass. Is the truck self healing? :unsure:

BP from C137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER ; 2022 Polestar 2
I first got the powertrain malfunction reduced power notification in the app just before charging. It charged normally at an EA station. Then the truck showed this. It also showed that the front motor was not getting power. At my next charging stop, it would only charge at a max of 22 kw and remained this way. The battery capacity seems to be reduced too. I made it to the shop at least. Sadly, the dealership hasn't even looked at it and it's been sitting for 2 weeks so far.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll IMG_1749

Last edited by a moderator:

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
After 26k flawless miles, I thought I was immune. Popped up, and only 20% power available. I was able to drive home. had it towed to dealer and waiting to see. Just hoping it doesnā€™t take too long. I would prefer it just need BMS soft update (which was on recall for OTA update but idk if that ever happened). Donā€™t really want dealer cracking open the battery to replace a module.

i hope it doesnā€™t take a long time, I miss my truck.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
If you would be so kind to reply, I am trying to keep a spreadsheet (see my signature) of Power Malfunctions and battery module replacements, but I may be missing one of these for your situation reported in the forum: Year, Model, ER/SR, Build date, miles, and/or final outcome?
I would think Build Date would be the most telling, but miles might matter in the long run. Maybe Software updates will be a factor?
Knowing the % of charging types (DCFC vs L2) and average/max charge rates would be interesting, but only Ford would know that...although I have had a number of FordPass missing charge logs so who knows how well they keep data!

@BP from C137 @LightningMcqueen @MBM @DavePastry @YTLHTNG @Kbar8888 @DanielM92563 @Aspesi4 @Lytning @granfaloon @igriffin @HJP @Samzy @ScubaSteve_TheReal @Yellow Buddy @BoltUp @Fast87t @Oneand0 @haresource2 @Fryballin @B. Lane @T i h o r @ooSHAZAMoo @davehu @Blaster @merek @Yankee_foxttot @Wmcl @MLarson @Pete22569 @massmedic @Oafy44 @Atxlt @hikinbengal @RonB @thrawn2k2 @Avocadodude @Flash @BoostedKWs @IdahoLightning @antimatterparticle @JetsonLightning

Wmcl

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT Extended Range
If you would be so kind to reply, I am trying to keep a spreadsheet (see my signature) of Power Malfunctions and battery module replacements, but I may be missing one of these for your situation reported in the forum: Year, Model, ER/SR, Build date, miles, and/or final outcome?
I would think Build Date would be the most telling, but miles might matter in the long run. Maybe Software updates will be a factor?
Knowing the % of charging types (DCFC vs L2) and average/max charge rates would be interesting, but only Ford would know that...although I have had a number of FordPass missing charge logs so who knows how well they keep data!
Second module failure was replaced at 48,000 kilometres. Took approx 6 weeks. Module #7. 2022 XLT ER

Sponsored

Yankee_foxttot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning Lariat
Occupation
Firefighter
Year 2023

Model Lariat non extended range

Build date fall of 2023

miles 666 (not even joking)

final outcome? Allegedly fixed from software update.

state of charge ~66%

not plug in,

had diagnostic report and printout of the work order also.

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff

Good idea...thanks for taking the lead!
Where can I get my build date?

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I donā€™t believe you are out of line at all in feeling Ford should replace your entire drop down pack vs one defective module each time. My ER has 9 modules with number 9 still pending replacement since December 5th. Itā€™s so bad of situation going on that the module they sent to replace my bad one was itself DOA bad upon arrival. At this point I feel I should be getting entire pack replaced. They can take mine and let the lab rats diagnose it in the lab and do the research there.

By the way I initiated buyback process as a potential resolution in my case. Time will tell what happens next. Been in shop since December 5th Ugh.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Year, 2022
Model, Lariat ER
Build date, 7/11/22
miles, 12k
final outcome? Replaced module. (Note this is the second module replaced, first one was proactively replaced under the previous campaign)

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I donā€™t believe you are out of line at all in feeling Ford should replace your entire drop down pack vs one defective module each time. My ER has 9 modules with number 9 still pending replacement since December 5th. Itā€™s so bad of situation going on that the module they sent to replace my bad one was itself DOA bad upon arrival. At this point I feel I should be getting entire pack replaced. They can take mine and let the lab rats diagnose it in the lab and do the research there.

By the way I initiated buyback process as a potential resolution in my case. Time will tell what happens next. Been in shop since December 5th Ugh.
My dealer was able to get a module in 2 days for replacement. Weird. I didn't even whine about it.
Sponsored