• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

Robbie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Detective
FWIW. When my truck first had the Powertrain Malfunction \Reduced Power in late November, I cleared the error by clearing the DTC code using the OBD port and Forscan. Normal charging was restored and the truck drove fine for a month - with no issues. The same fault occurred at the end of December, while AC charging. The 57% power reduction and inability to AC charge returned. I already had a service appointment scheduled. so I didn't clear the fault the second time.

The bottom line: If you have the fault when you are traveling and need full power or need full charging speed (and you have an OBD dongle with you) you should be able to clear the code and drive and charge normally until you can get your vehicle to the dealer.

It sounds like your dealer may just have done the same thing I did. Don't be surprised if the error returns at some point, but it doesn't need to ruin your trip.

22 Lariat ER
May 2022
I had the same problem with my 22 lariat extended range. Been at the dealership for a couple weeks on top of all the other recalls for this vehicle. I’ve contacted attorney for the Lemon law. My truck only has about 28,000 on it. I enjoy the truck for the most part. Ford needs to work on their electric vehicles and the service that needs to be provided to them.
Sponsored

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had this problem after returning from a two week trip abroad. Truck had sat for 12 cold days. On 2/1/24 I startEd the truck and the “Service Vehicle Soon“ message appeared along with the yellow wrench icon. I notified the Service Team at Grappone Ford in Concord, NH, and they responded early Friday 2/2/24 aasking me to bring it in right away. By the end of the day they had pulled the error codes and found cell #96 in Module 9 was producing a low voltage. They put in the order for a replacement Module #9, the mask, and the special compound used to bed the module to the cold plate.

Grappone kept me updated while the truck was in their hands. The replacement battery module came in the following Wednesday. The service technician (who is a member of Ford’s service advisory board) worked on my Lightning while also working on two Mach Es. Module 9 is at the front of the battery pack, and probably a little easier to replace. Service technician reported that he thought the Lightning battery was easier to work on than a Mach E.

On Wednesday 2/14/24 the technician had the truck back together, but wanted to hang on to it overnight to make sure it took and retained a charge. I picked it up at noon Thursday 2/15/24.

I am very happy with the Service Department at Grappone and highly recommend them if you need service on your Lightning or Mach E.

Lightning Lariat ER with Max Trailer Tow package. Build date: April 2022. 11,500 miles. Replaced Module #9 because cell #96 was producing reduced voltage.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
To ANYONE getting the powertrain malfuntion warning, DO NOT IGNORE IT! Mine started last week. No power or performance loss whatsoever. Light would disappear after truck sat, but come back on again after a minute or two.

Dealer diagnosed it today. Faulty battery coolant control valve. What's worse is it is stuck in CLOSED position. Thank God for my recent short drives and cold weather. They said i needed to leave it because they fear it will catch fire if driven for longer periods. I am at 29K miles.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
To ANYONE getting the powertrain malfuntion warning, DO NOT IGNORE IT! Mine started last week. No power or performance loss whatsoever. Light would disappear after truck sat, but come back on again after a minute or two.

Dealer diagnosed it today. Faulty battery coolant control valve. What's worse is it is stuck in CLOSED position. Thank God for my recent short drives and cold weather. They said i needed to leave it because they fear it will catch fire if driven for longer periods. I am at 29K miles.
Well that’s a new one. 😞

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
IIRC, your experience is the second incident on this part...... for the forum.

The prior was related and symptomatic of no cabin heat.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...eater-blows-cold-air.17436/page-2#post-355882

Sponsored

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to the 4% club!

(Ford says about 4% of all 22/23 Lightnings will experience one or more module failures).

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I want to add that I love that it doesn't say anything on the calm screen. I thought it was just a dumb oil change reminder, until I proceeded to nearly rear end a car because my regen was barely there in 1 pedal.

@Ford Motor Company I like to think that I'm a reasonably smart individual.... I think something needs to be improved with the way the vehicle displays errors and changes to the driver. Halving my regen and power nearly caused a car accident this morning because the display didnt show anything other than a tiny yellow icon in the bottom right corner.

When I called the dealer, after telling them the issue, their response was "so what's your question". Yet, when they look it up, they can see through the telematics that there is an issue with the vehicle. If you can send that remotely to the dealerships, you sure as shit can display something more obvious to your drivers behind the wheel.

You guys have to be better at the software and how you communicate these things to your owners. This is pathetic and dangerous.

Also, I just read this thread and saw the comments about AC charging not working. I went out and plugged it in, and low and behold, won't charge. Great.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021043

After clicking OK
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021045

What's really happening...
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021046

Last edited:

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Dropped it off w/ the dealer. It'll be a few days they said before they can look at it... electrical team is backed up.

I like that they ask you what's wrong with it... when they have the on-board trouble codes right in front of them.

I got a free ride home, but no loaner. Supposedly, when it's diagnosed, and determined to be under warranty, I can get a loaner, but they don't have EVs. Great.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Dropped it off w/ the dealer. It'll be a few days they said before they can look at it... electrical team is backed up.

I like that they ask you what's wrong with it... when they have the on-board trouble codes right in front of them.

I got a free ride home, but no loaner. Supposedly, when it's diagnosed, and determined to be under warranty, I can get a loaner, but they don't have EVs. Great.
We need to stop accepting this from dealer service centers. They should be able to diagnose while we wait. Either that or send me on my way and call me when my time for same-day diagnostic comes up. They absolutely can give you a loaner before diagnosing something, but they can't bill it to your warranty yet, so they won't unless you raise a fuss to the right person that finally cares. If they don't want to diagnose it the same day you have an appointment to drop it off, find another dealer that will and let the first dealership know you won't be back until they change how they operate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
S

The ICE loaner will remind you how great the Lightning is even though it’s in service (I may have some experience here 🤣). I hope for a speedy resolution to you issues.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Got a call 24 hours after dropoff with an update, +1 for customer service and the dealer.

My Service Advisor stated it was just a programming issue, and he thinks it'll be an wrapped up in a couple of hours.

From reading this thread... It doesn't sound like a programming issue. Does this seem plausible to y'all? Any questions to ask next time I talk to him?

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
Got a call 24 hours after dropoff with an update, +1 for customer service and the dealer.

My Service Advisor stated it was just a programming issue, and he thinks it'll be an wrapped up in a couple of hours.

From reading this thread... It doesn't sound like a programming issue. Does this seem plausible to y'all? Any questions to ask next time I talk to him?
I doubt you’re going to get off that lucky. When I first dropped off my truck the dealer tried to tell me that I probably charged it wrong. Whatever that means. They reset it and said it was all fixed. I drove down to the dealer, hopped in the truck and hit the start button. Every dash warning was still there. Threw the keys back at them and told them to fix it for real this time.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Dealer followed up again this morning. Said Ford Hotline still has them waiting, eta of end of next week for just the diagnosis.

Dealer is sticking me in a loaner F150. Got to pay for my own Uber back to the dealer, now sitting in the lobby while they write up the contract.

My dealer is only 5 miles away, but I've already spent at least 2 hours total into this process...

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1709317106843

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
My truck has sat so long, I now get this when I check the Ford pass app:
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021360

If anyone was wondering for a comparison to a 2023 F150 STX 4x4 w/ 2.7 Turbo 10sp, here your go.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021233

Went from Pearl White to Pearl Black. Nice color.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll 1000021312

Ok, column shifter. All day. This whole extra tray area, with the work surface, I mean. Come on. Total upgrade. Also, the radio knob for volume works when I turn it. No delay. Crazy, right? And the AC controls don't timeout and disappear, they're right there!

Cloth interior is nice. No rattle from the sunroof because it's missing, a plus. Miss my heated seat.

The 4 speaker stereo in this is no worse than the 8 speaker B&O. The lack of parking aid and 360 view is missed, makes it super easy to park. The dash digital display might be powered by an elementary school solar calculator. It's so slow to update. No boost gauge to show the cool turboness.
Sponsored