• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. is that even possible? I had no idea that Ford would be on top of it like that. I'm impressed!
With a skilled & motivated technician, anything is possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Update... towed the truck to dealership last Friday. When I touched base with technician earlier this week he said that the engineer he was working with at Ford already diagnosed the issue before I dropped off the truck and shipped a new module. I will have truck back sometime next week.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. is that even possible? I had no idea that Ford would be on top of it like that. I'm impressed!
I feel like with this vehicle that’s how it should be. Know the root cause before I even show up. Just hope parts logistics keeps up.

Beezelbubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
150-Lightning XLT SR
Powertrain issues ROUND TWO. No heat in the truck today, went to come home, and here comes the litany of errors popping up including the drivetrain and service vehicle soon. I tried, I had it back 5 weeks and today it shit the bed again

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Powertrain issues ROUND TWO. No heat in the truck today, went to come home, and here comes the litany of errors popping up including the drivetrain and service vehicle soon. I tried, I had it back 5 weeks and today it shit the bed again
Oh man, this is my worst fear. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a love hate relationship with a vehicle.

Texancc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Well… today was my lucky day. Truck stopped working when I tried to start it up. Got the call from Ford about three weeks ago and got the email last week. Was ignoring and hoping enough time would pass so that the dealerships would figure out the process.

The problem is that none of the dealerships around me know what’s going on. I’m in SoCal where there Is high volume of trucks but still it’s a mess. Just part of owning first gen vehicle I guess. Glad I kept my old truck so at least I have something to drive.
What module? Someone on another thread said it was the shift module, had it replaced this past January and he responded to me today no issue since. His, like mine, was he got the fault but no actual problems with drive ability

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Last edited:

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I've had it come up and reduce the power to the rear motor only after plugging the truck in to charge at home. The series of events that made it happen was that I had the truck set to charge several hours later (but plugged into the charger) but the charger was set to start charging. For several hours, but every few minutes the charger relay would click on trying to charge the truck but because of my schedule set in the truck, it wouldn't let start charging. I'm assuming after several hours of this back and forth, possibly something got hot or the truck internally had a glitch. Drove the truck up the road with reduced power and cut it off at my destination. When I started it back up several minutes later everything was fine. Haven't had it since, but I have changed my charge settings in the home charger to start at a certain time and the truck settings to be able to charge anytime. Since this change I haven't had the issue come up again.

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, P*2, XC90, 1964.5 Mustang,
Here I go for round 2 (presumably). First time dropped off truck on 2/14 and received back on 3/17, fix was a High Voltage Battery Module Replacement. To Ford's credit, that time they proactively reached out to me as the truck must have phoned home and notified them of the pending issue.

Well I just got the "Stop safely now" and "Service vehicle soon" screens. Car went into limp mode and couldn't even make it up an incredibly modest incline. Car had 19% charge and hadn't been charged since this past Friday. Had a great EVGO session that morning, drove from OC to San Diego and back again, and did some around town driving over the weekend. Fine taking the kids to school this AM, but this afternoon it happened.

Despite absolutely loving the truck I'm not sure I'm willing to wait another 30 days for another fix (if it's the same/similar issue).

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll StopSafely
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll ServiceVehicle

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll FordPass.PNG

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
Here I go for round 2 (presumably). First time dropped off truck on 2/14 and received back on 3/17, fix was a High Voltage Battery Module Replacement. To Ford's credit, that time they proactively reached out to me as the truck must have phoned home and notified them of the pending issue.

Well I just got the "Stop safely now" and "Service vehicle soon" screens. Car went into limp mode and couldn't even make it up an incredibly modest incline. Car had 19% charge and hadn't been charged since this past Friday. Had a great EVGO session that morning, drove from OC to San Diego and back again, and did some around town driving over the weekend. Fine taking the kids to school this AM, but this afternoon it happened.

Despite absolutely loving the truck I'm not sure I'm willing to wait another 30 days for another fix (if it's the same/similar issue).

StopSafely.jpg
ServiceVehicle.jpg

FordPass.PNG
I’m in OC as well. Just got mine back from Autonation. seems to be working for now. Is that where you are taking yours?

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same - I seem to recall he said one came in right around when I picked mine up. Was that you?

How long was yours in there? I’m really hoping it’s a much quicker turn around this time.

Sponsored

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
Same - I seem to recall he said one came in right around when I picked mine up. Was that you?

How long was yours in there? I’m really hoping it’s a much quicker turn around this time.
Haha. Yeah that was mine. So you were the Guinea pig?! Greg said mine was the second. There was a huge learning curve on yours.

It wasn’t too bad. I think 3 weeks. I left it dead in my garage for over a week. Parts already shipped so I wasn’t in a hurry to drop it off.

I didn’t have any confidence in them so I called other dealerships and they were even worse. They didn’t even know of the issue. At least Autonation knew of the issue and had the equipment to get the job done.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

StopSafely.jpg
ServiceVehicle.jpg

FordPass.PNG
Hey there. I can look into your Lightning’s error message concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat

I will say Ken Grody in Carlsbad did a great job on repair turnaround once the parts were in. Sorry to hear you're having to go through another round.

millim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not trying to blame anyone and have full faith in the dealership I’m at. I’m just bummed/frustrated that I’ve already been without the car for over 45 days between two issues.

I’ll soon find out what the ETA is on this and figure out next steps after that.

tonyme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER 2022
Dang! Yes, Lightning can hit twice! No pun intended. I just got stranded for the second time. 1st on December 22 with 13466 mi and 2nd now on May 23 with 21842 mi. I had the module #6 replaced on the 1st occasion because one of its cells failed. Expecting the same now. But still waiting for the shop diagnose. So upsetting. I love the truck but my trust on its powertrain reliability is completely shattered, sadly. Manufactured on May 22. Pattern noticed: when a module gets defective you cannot charge past mid-80s% (it will show 100% on the screen but when the charger is removed, it will immediately show the actual lower SOC). My daily standard recharge level is 90%. Then, once the SOC falls to around mid-60s%, the overall pack voltage colapses to a level unsustainable for regular driving, triggering the limp mode and the system faults. It seems there is something very wrong on early production SK battery modules. Or I’m just very unlucky. @Ford Motor Company , what’s going on?!

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll IMG_8770_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll IMG_8925
Sponsored

Last edited: