• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll

Have you had the Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power issue

• Total voters

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
No matter how, the battery failure rate is higher than new cars with engine or transmission failure, no need to mention engine + transmission.

Hope Ford can solve the problem and make battery last much longer which should.
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Ok, got her back today. 17 days to replace the module. Dealer, I will say, very communicative, gave a loaner... happy overall. Little disappointed they didnt do the 12v BMS recall or the pending software recall. We discussed both, but neither made it on the ticket, so they didn't get done.

All that said... I kinda have doubts they finished the repair correctly. I got the truck back at the same SoC I delivered it at. Its pretty clear it wasn't road tested (or wasn't tested much). I noticed when I dropped it, the coolant was near empty. When picking it up, it was at MAX. But after plugging it in to charge... its clear there is air in the system and the level is dropping quick.

Pickup from Dealer (left); As it sits 5 miles later charging in my driveway (right)
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll PXL_20240315_174623965-COLLAGE

Copy of W/O
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll PXL_20240315_183240740

This sound like air to you guys?

Last edited:

CVDUDE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR
My 2022 XLT SR with a blend date of 6/3/22 has been at the dealer for 5 days. I was told today that a battery module was ordered yesterday with an ETA of 7-14 days. The engine noise from the loaner Ford Escape reminds me of how quiet the Lightning is.

AAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Fire Captain
I’m following several threads on this, but having a hard time tracking how many of us have experienced this. I thought a poll might help. I realize this should have just been a “yes” poll because most are no. I don’t know how to change a poll.

Mine has been at shop 4 weeks and still waiting on parts.
I have a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER that I bought in September of ‘22. This past October I got the power train failure when I was driving into work. At work, it charged for two hours and then would not charge any further, despite trying different outlets and charging cords.
I took it to the dealership and they said battery module #2 was bad. It spent a total of 65 days at the dealership for this repair.
Since the battery module has been replaced, the electrical system in my truck has been very glitchy, including doing things like spontaneously unlocking all the doors and dropping the tail gate in the middle of the night, suddenly turning the climate control on high, immediately turning off all power including accessory when I press the power button so that the screen goes dark and the seat doesn’t go back for it’s easy entry. After it didn’t go through it’s power down cycle, I turned it back on and got a message that the reverse brake assist was disabled.
I have also had weird inconsistencies with my mileage. I drove approximately 54.6 miles at freeway speeds of 65-70 mph and this dropped my battery from 80% down to 49%. It was 46 degrees F outside, but my truck had been plugged in overnight, which should’ve allowed it to precondition the batteries.
The mileage indicator showed 1.8 m/kW. If this had truly been 1.8 m/kWh then I should have only used 30.3 kWh which is only 22% of my battery instead of the recorded 31%. Either the battery usage indicator is inaccurate, the trip mileage estimate is inaccurate, or both.
My truck has been in the shop for the past week while they try to track down these gremlins.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER that I bought in September of ‘22. This past October I got the power train failure when I was driving into work. At work, it charged for two hours and then would not charge any further, despite trying different outlets and charging cords.
I took it to the dealership and they said battery module #2 was bad. It spent a total of 65 days at the dealership for this repair.
Since the battery module has been replaced, the electrical system in my truck has been very glitchy, including doing things like spontaneously unlocking all the doors and dropping the tail gate in the middle of the night, suddenly turning the climate control on high, immediately turning off all power including accessory when I press the power button so that the screen goes dark and the seat doesn’t go back for it’s easy entry. After it didn’t go through it’s power down cycle, I turned it back on and got a message that the reverse brake assist was disabled.
I have also had weird inconsistencies with my mileage. I drove approximately 54.6 miles at freeway speeds of 65-70 mph and this dropped my battery from 80% down to 49%. It was 46 degrees F outside, but my truck had been plugged in overnight, which should’ve allowed it to precondition the batteries.
The mileage indicator showed 1.8 m/kW. If this had truly been 1.8 m/kWh then I should have only used 30.3 kWh which is only 22% of my battery instead of the recorded 31%. Either the battery usage indicator is inaccurate, the trip mileage estimate is inaccurate, or both.
My truck has been in the shop for the past week while they try to track down these gremlins.
After a battery module swap is completed, the SOC and max charging levels could be affected for approx 21 days while all the modules work to balance to each other, the tech's try to get them as close as possible during the service procedure, but don't always get it tuned perfectly, so the 21 days post service takes care of the imbalance.

Hopefully when they go over everything, they don't find any other problems.

Do you recall what OTA update point your truck is at?
Visible in Ford pass Vehicle tab, Features & Settings, Software Update tile, Recent change >>

Sponsored

AAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Fire Captain
After a battery module swap is completed, the SOC and max charging levels could be affected for approx 21 days while all the modules work to balance to each other, the tech's try to get them as close as possible during the service procedure, but don't always get it tuned perfectly, so the 21 days post service takes care of the imbalance.

Hopefully when they go over everything, they don't find any other problems.

Do you recall what OTA update point your truck is at?
Visible in Ford pass Vehicle tab, Features & Settings, Software Update tile, Recent change >>
Yep, Ford Corporate informed me that it could take up to 30 days to calibrate after I mentioned my mileage was down after the module replacement. This was in December/January. My mileage did seem to get better, but then the incident I mentioned above happened on March 3rd. My last over the air update appears to be the plug and charge update on February 29th.
The Dealership thinks that the 12 volt battery might be going bad and causing the gremlins. When I had it in for the battery module replacement in December and the warranty recall for the 12 volt battery sensor in February, both service records report that the 12 volt battery showed that it was in good health.

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Yep, Ford Corporate informed me that it could take up to 30 days to calibrate after I mentioned my mileage was down after the module replacement. This was in December/January. My mileage did seem to get better, but then the incident I mentioned above happened on March 3rd. My last over the air update appears to be the plug and charge update on February 29th.
The Dealership thinks that the 12 volt battery might be going bad and causing the gremlins. When I had it in for the battery module replacement in December and the warranty recall for the 12 volt battery sensor in February, both service records report that the 12 volt battery showed that it was in good health.
I had the mileage drop after both of my repairs. After a month I reset driving history and my GoM seems to go back to normal. I’ve had an electrical drain warning a couple times, but I have not done the 12v battery fix yet.

I hope they track down your gremlins.

boseephuss

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Finally got mine back last week after 6 weeks at the dealer waiting on a battery module to be replaced. This was the 5th time bringing it in for a powertrain malfunction / reduced power error. I suspect I also had the cooling valve issue, has had it in for repair previously with batteries overheating just driving down the highway. Never once did they give me a loaner (time to look for a new dealer...) Buyback is under review after being submitted a second time, since they denied the first request. I am glad to see so many without the error in the poll above though!

OP
OP
Avocadodude

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Finally got mine back last week after 6 weeks at the dealer waiting on a battery module to be replaced. This was the 5th time bringing it in for a powertrain malfunction / reduced power error. I suspect I also had the cooling valve issue, has had it in for repair previously with batteries overheating just driving down the highway. Never once did they give me a loaner (time to look for a new dealer...) Buyback is under review after being submitted a second time, since they denied the first request. I am glad to see so many without the error in the poll above though!
I would imagine there are a lot more no answers, but also sad to see how many of us have had issues. I knew buying first gen came with risks. I’m still happy with my truck for the most part.

Sponsored

patrickj62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting
My 2022 Platinum with 33K miles had the "powertrain malfunction" a few times - each seemed to correct itself until last Tuesday. Charged at 2 different DC Chargers and could not get more than 20kw, but was able to drive it home.. Plugged into Ford home charger (80amps) and it charged for about 2 hours and then stopped charging. Circle turned Red. Took it to the dealer on Wednesday morning. Dealer diagnosed it as a battery module #7 was bad. Ordered from Ford - no ETA on the part. Any advice on how to get a new module faster or at least get an ETA from Ford would be helpful. I cannot wait months for a small part that keeps my $100K truck sitting idle. I see that some owners got Ford to buy back their truck. Any advice on how to pursue the buy back option if my truck remains at the deal for an unreasonable amount of time. So far, the dealer has not offered a loaner... sigh - I always get a loaner with my Lexus and Mercedes - and they didn't cost as much as this truck...

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
My 2022 Platinum with 33K miles had the "powertrain malfunction" a few times - each seemed to correct itself until last Tuesday. Charged at 2 different DC Chargers and could not get more than 20kw, but was able to drive it home.. Plugged into Ford home charger (80amps) and it charged for about 2 hours and then stopped charging. Circle turned Red. Took it to the dealer on Wednesday morning. Dealer diagnosed it as a battery module #7 was bad. Ordered from Ford - no ETA on the part. Any advice on how to get a new module faster or at least get an ETA from Ford would be helpful. I cannot wait months for a small part that keeps my $100K truck sitting idle. I see that some owners got Ford to buy back their truck. Any advice on how to pursue the buy back option if my truck remains at the deal for an unreasonable amount of time. So far, the dealer has not offered a loaner... sigh - I always get a loaner with my Lexus and Mercedes - and they didn't cost as much as this truck...
I’d suggest contacting Ford’s customer service line and having a case opened up. They can track the repair and prod the service department on your behalf. Mine was done in two weeks.

FYI, these modules aren’t small parts.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power Poll IMG_2882

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
80 trucks with bad module is not good.
I posted in one of the other threads, but had not here. Unfortunately I would have been happy at that current count, but just added my vote and made it 81 as of today. Those are the ones just waiting for resolution. if you count the multiples and those already fixed it could be 117 to 130..

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good time to remind folks to update their vote as the situation develops
Sponsored