• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Preventing Theft of Your Lightning

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
In a strange turn of events, Ram pickup trucks are being stolen like nobody's business. #1 in thefts at the moment.
I saw that too. It seems Ram are highly desirable in other countries
Sponsored

OP
OP
ALAN BORER

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
In a strange turn of events, Ram pickup trucks are being stolen like nobody's business. #1 in thefts at the moment.
I heard that !! I was concerned because the cost of our truck and there's not that many on the road

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I heard that !! I was concerned because the cost of our truck and there's not that many on the road
Low hanging fruit get picked first.

There isn't a market for them yet. A lot of thefts are for immediate shipment overseas to Africa and the middle East.

The other reason for higher thefts right now is insurance fraud.

We do what we can to prevent theft.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Most thefts are to chop the vehicle to sell parts. Typically, the most stolen vehicles are those with the most demand for the parts.

So the fact that there aren’t many Lightnings out there lessens the demand for the parts.

Sponsored

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
+1 PIN to drive

Marcelo Zanetti

First Name
Marcelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150; Ford F-150 Lightning; Ford Explorer;
Occupation
Electrician
If you’re really that concerned to the point where it requires a separate step the drive the car…just pull fuse 32 every time you get out of the truck.

Guaranteed a car thief isn’t going to sit there and troubleshoot it, then happen to be carrying a spare 20A. Especially true if they found it unlocked. It would spook them to no end.
What fuse 32 does?

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Guaranteed a car thief isn’t going to sit there and troubleshoot it, then happen to be carrying a spare 20A. Especially true if they found it unlocked. It would spook them to no end.
It's the "bear attack" approach: If you and someone else encounters a bear in the woods, you don't need to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun the person you're with. 😏

It's not necessary to have the world's most secure system to protect your vehicle. Just something to delay would-be theives enough that they will just move on to something they can steal quicker and easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ALAN BORER

ALAN BORER

First Name
ALAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250
Occupation
RETIRED
Low hanging fruit get picked first.

There isn't a market for them yet. A lot of thefts are for immediate shipment overseas to Africa and the middle East.

The other reason for higher thefts right now is insurance fraud.

We do what we can to prevent theft.
Good info !

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
PIN to drive would be particularly useful if you use your phone as a key. That way if you accidentally leave your phone in the truck only the phone gets stolen :)

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Now I am wondering if I should keep my Location on so I can find the truck after it is stolen or keep it off so the shady Ford service helper dude can not find my Lightning to steal.

Reactions: GDN

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The NY Times had an article over a year ago about key fob relay theft of Ford vehicles in British Columbia, with the thieves creating new key fobs via OBDII once they gain access to the vehicle in the victim's driveway. The closest I could come to finding a similar article is a Vancouver Sun article announcing the likely perps have been caught: https://vancouversun.com/news/crime...-reprogram-key-fobs-sometimes-in-just-minutes

Another article with more details from the Edmonton CTV News: Auto security expert explains how thieves are stealing Ford F-150s in Edmonton, and why | CTV News

I see Ford has a patent(s) to try to prevent FOB relay theft: Ford Patent Filed For Vehicular Key Fob Relay Attack Prevention System (fordauthority.com)

A tongue-in-cheek 2015 NY Times article on why a guy is using his refrigerator as a Faraday cage for his key fob: Keeping Your Car Safe From Electronic Thieves - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Would be nice to know exactly what the risk is for a 2023 Ford Lightning....
Sponsored