• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
What the heck. I bought a new vehicle and there's empty mcdonalds cups and bag in the back seat and 2 bags of trash in the frunk and a bent up extra bumper in the bed??
No worries… if the union trucking and rail transit Ford uses gets any worse in the next 2 years all that trash will decompose in transit!!! You will never know!
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/ford-ceo-farley-says-next-ev-pickup-like-millennium-falcon/

Currently fielding three all-electric products in the U.S., Ford has plans to vastly expand that lineup in the coming years, with one of the first new EVs being what the automaker calls Project T3 – or the “Trust The Truck,” as it revealed earlier today. This future model will be far different than the Ford F-150 Lightning, however, riding on its own, dedicated platform with an easily updatable, simpler design, all with the intentions of making it profitable, as will be the case with all FoMoCo second-generation all-electric vehicles. However, it seems as if Project T3 will also be fairly futuristic in scope, according to Ford CEO Jim Farley.....................

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/ford-ceo-farley-says-next-ev-pickup-like-millennium-falcon/

Currently fielding three all-electric products in the U.S., Ford has plans to vastly expand that lineup in the coming years, with one of the first new EVs being what the automaker calls Project T3 – or the “Trust The Truck,” as it revealed earlier today. This future model will be far different than the Ford F-150 Lightning, however, riding on its own, dedicated platform with an easily updatable, simpler design, all with the intentions of making it profitable, as will be the case with all FoMoCo second-generation all-electric vehicles. However, it seems as if Project T3 will also be fairly futuristic in scope, according to Ford CEO Jim Farley........................
And people have doubted Musk for years. I'll watch this from afar.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm super excited to see what the next generation will be like.

Personally, I'm hoping the ICE models share the same DNA... at least as far as interior spaces and external look and functionality, so it will still be an F-150. I'd hate to see the F-150 brand fade away.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm super excited to see what the next generation will be like.

Personally, I'm hoping the ICE models share the same DNA... at least as far as interior spaces and external look and functionality, so it will still be an F-150. I'd hate to see the F-150 brand fade away.
They've made it very clear - the F150 will carry on and it will not be connected to this new "ground up technology." They are scared to death of losing that F150 sales number they've had for years.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
They've made it very clear - the F150 will carry on and it will not be connected to this new "ground up technology." They are scared to death of losing that F150 sales number they've had for years.
That's exactly why I think it's important to make sure it's still an F-150. I think the only legitimate way to put that badge on an all-new design is to carry over that design to the ICE models too, so that there is no doubt both are F-150s.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
It’s going to be unibody bullshit. Pass
I like the Lightning, because it’s an F150.

With that being said, thanks to the battery fire, for almost two months, my truck has been stuck in a transit hold less than an hour from my house. I would be a lot more impressed if Ford would actually deliver the truck that I ordered than tell me about other new products.
if its more capable than the current lightning, what's the issue with unibody?

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
A box on frame design has been a huge part of the F series since day one because a modular design even lets them build versions without the box itself.

This would be more of a problem with the larger F series (250, 350, 450, etc.) because most of those are sold without a box and they’re the foundation for box trucks, tow trucks, ambulances, etc.

For the 150, it’s more about isolating the cargo area from the cab. For some of us that’s not a big deal, but some people haul all sorts of things that could erode the bed and even creep into the cab if it had a mid-gate for example.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
A box on frame design has been a huge part of the F series since day one because a modular design even lets them build versions without the box itself.

This would be more of a problem with the larger F series (250, 350, 450, etc.) because most of those are sold without a box and they’re the foundation for box trucks, tow trucks, ambulances, etc.

For the 150, it’s more about isolating the cargo area from the cab. For some of us that’s not a big deal, but some people haul all sorts of things that could erode the bed and even creep into the cab if it had a mid-gate for example.
I’m willing to bet 90% of 150 owners don’t need box on frame. Leave box on frame for super duty trucks.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I’m willing to bet 90% of 150 owners don’t need box on frame. Leave box on frame for super duty trucks.
Very true, but it would be a stretch to have such a drastic shift if they want to use the same name for the entire line.

Bigger F series trucks have stronger frames and suspensions and some even have additional wheels, yet much of the cab and box are shared with the smaller models, so people can see the connection.

But then again, they're calling the Bronco Sport a Bronco, even though they have entirely different DNA.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I'm not convinced that the first T3 vehicle will be an F150 Lightning replacement. There is clearly a market for a body-on-frame electric F150; what Ford needs to do is optimize the engineering for production efficiencies. The new vehicle could be smaller and lighter than the current Lightning, and based on a hybrid skateboard/unibody architecture. What Ford might do, so it can still lump the T3 sales in with the F series numbers, is create a new model - let's call it the F100 - that sells along side the F150, both ICE and electric. That would give Ford the best of both worlds.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Define "more capable"? Payload and towing? Just because a truck is more capable on some headline numbers doesn't mean it's more capable in the ways everybody cares about. You can confidently mount something to a frame rail. You can't confidently modify your unibody.

No frame means less capable for many many people. Even if you can tow heavier things.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm not convinced that the first T3 vehicle will be an F150 Lightning replacement.
T3 arrives in 2025. F150 ICE is completely redesigned in 2026. I'm told that the current Lightning plant will cease producing vehicles when the ICE plant retools. That tells me the first T3 vehicle will be the Lightning replacement.
Sponsored