• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Set Auto Parking Brake for 100% of the time?

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
Does anyone know how to enable the auto parking brake so it auto sets 100% of the time?
I’m noticing that it will only auto set on a slope. The manual makes no mention of this
Coming from a Ram 1500 which had auto parking brake I figured this truck would have it also.
Anyone have details about how it works?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You cannot.

The Mach-E recently got an update that sets it everytime, and doesn't turn on the indicator that it has...

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
I’ve discovered it only sets automatically for two reasons…

1. Your foot is not on the brake when you shift to park. So if you use 1PD this is easy to accomplish. This sets mine 100% of the times I tested it.

2. The vehicle senses your on a slope when you park.

This is referenced in the manual. See pic.

Ford F-150 Lightning Set Auto Parking Brake for 100% of the time? IMG_3689

OP
OP

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat

1. Your foot is not on the brake when you shift to park. So if you use 1PD this is easy to accomplish. This sets mine 100% of the times I tested it.

IMG_3689.jpeg
Thanks for pointing this out. When I was looking through the manual I zoomed right past these notes.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician

IMG_3689.jpeg
Thanks I couldn't figure out why it set the parking break only sometimes. I did realize on a slope though.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I think somebody mentioned that opening the driver’s door with the truck running sets the brake?

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Mine "sometimes" sets when on a slope - I guess my driveway is at just the right angle that hysteresis is at play - if the bed has a load, thus changing the angle, the brake sets, if empty, it does not. Other places it does set when the incline is steeper(regardless of load)

I wish it would autoset 100% of the time, additionally, I wish I would not have to manually reach down un unset it - like other e-cars - you tap the accelerator, and the parking brake (seamlessly)disengages. Yeah, I know, the Lightning P-brake disengages as well, but it is a comparatively violent disengagement.

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
I've gotten into the habit of turning off the truck while in gear. This puts the truck into park and applies the parking break. Whether on flat surface or sloped, this works every time.

OP
OP

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
I've gotten into the habit of turning off the truck while in gear. This puts the truck into park and applies the parking break. Whether on flat surface or sloped, this works every time.
Tried this a few times. Won’t do it on my truck.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Autobrake will also happen, automatically, if you are in 'brake hold', and 10 minutes or so passes - you'll hear the brake set, and see the alert on the dash.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
The lightning not setting the parking brake everytime you park drives me bonkers. Especially since it's clearly capable of doing it under certain conditions. This should 100% be a toggle-able setting at least: "parking brake is enabled when the truck is shifted into park."

It almost burned me the one day. I was at my brother in law's and I parked the front wheels on the edge of a curb to his garage. He plugged in his cable for me so I could charge up, and unbeknownst to me, the line was pretty taught. I had forgotten the parking brake (our kia sets it automagically) and when I stepped off the brake the truck lurched back. THANKFULLY it didn't pull the charger out of the wall or truck. But the truck was not happy and threw a charging fault. It was all good once we unplugged it and replugged it back in to the charging port.

So yeah, once again, would LOVE if we could an auto parking brake added.

swtaylor89

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Business Owner
Tried this a few times. Won’t do it on my truck.
I was wrong and what I said.
What I do is open the door when I park while in gear. This throws the truck into park and the parking brake on.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I was wrong and what I said.
What I do is open the door when I park while in gear. This throws the truck into park and the parking brake on.
Because it's easier to open the door then to turn the dial to P, and set the parking brake?

To me, this is a practice that if you drive multiple vehicles could be a problem, when they don't do that and you come off the brake pedal and the vehicle moves.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
The truck has a parking pawl which locks the rear motor and wheels from spinning. So you don’t need to set the parking brake unless you are on an incline. And even then it’s just to keep the pawl from binding up and make shifting out of park easier.
Most EVs don’t have a pawl and just use the parking brake. Ford added a parking pawl because it’s a proper truck and can do things like tow an 8k pound trailer and park on a hill in San Francisco with the trailer attached.

Sandy’s team covered this in the teardown of the motor.
Sponsored