• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Speed Limit Recognition Dangerous Behavior?

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had my truck for 2 months now and have been driving with the speed limit recognition on. I enjoyed the automation; however, today for the first time significantly it was dangerously misreading signs. It was foggy out, but it's been foggy before without issue. Several times on different roads it would read 35 as 55. With the adaptive cruise, I would station keep off the car in front and not notice an acceleration. When you're below limit, the speed sign doesn't flash either in the dash. It was only when the person in front of me turned and my car accelerated and just kept going. I caught it, because like any responsible driver I still pay attention even with automation, and immediately took over, but I could see someone who's either distracted or not familiar miss it. The truck was trying to drive 25 over the limit in neighborhoods. That's pretty insane and I hadn't seen that issue until this morning. Conditions were foggy with visibility 1 to 5 miles, overcast very low ceilings, and mid morning. I'm not sure why it was acting up today but it's a pretty significant error and I wanted to share since these are both heavy and quick trucks and it taking off unexpectedly could result in significant harm.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Yep, I had to turn that feature off. it was reading signs on adjacent roads. Like seeing the main lane speed sign while on a service road.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I had that happen several times now and the conditions weren’t even bad. It just all of a sudden started accelerating like a runaway train, scared the hell out of me. I always have to keep making sure speed limit recognition stays shut off after updates.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
After a few incidents of the system miss reading signs, I turned the feature off.

The worst event was i495 north as I'm passing over the RT-2 underpass, at this location the road is 5 lanes wide with the rightmost two lanes being an isolated "SLIP" ramp as they are called here, this compartmentalizes the merging traffic of RT-2 east & west on & off ramps away from the i495 through lanes.

The problem seems to be that the slip ramp zone speed is slower that the through lanes and Blue Cruise / Hands Free doesn't know the distinction of where I'm at in the through lanes vs the slip ramp lanes.

Ford F-150 Lightning Speed Limit Recognition Dangerous Behavior? 1679758193530

Ford F-150 Lightning Speed Limit Recognition Dangerous Behavior? 1679758082603

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ya, that's a weird feature. I like the signs that pop up but would not want my cruise reacting to them. Never even tried the setting.

I notice here in Canada it picks up the speed reduced ahead signs and displays the lower limit before entering the actual zone.

Love the radar!

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Turned it off the 1st time time it did a sudden slow down on me on my very first day of ownership. I was not at all pleased with its decision making.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Maybe they will improve this functionality in 1.2, I seem to remember comments about that in the Out of Spec's review in the Mach-E

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Many don't realize that in addition to signs, it uses a database. So, while you may speculate that fog is interfering, I'd suggest driving that same route on a nice day to see if you're wrong.

Yes, there are times where it reacts improperly, like passing a weigh station with a sign on the left side near the main road. If you drive properly, with your foot touching the accelerator, it's easy to simply push on pedal when it tries to slow, and then reset the cruise.

I like the feature, because it's helpful to not get caught in a speed zone, and also to accelerate when the speed changes.

Many also don't know that it has a + adjustment, and often it's set on +10, and people wonder what it's speeding...

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
I had the opposite problem, my truck suddenly slowed down and I was almost rear-ended. I shut the feature off as soon as I got home.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
I've had my truck for 2 months now and have been driving with the speed limit recognition on. I enjoyed the automation; however, today for the first time significantly it was dangerously misreading signs. It was foggy out, but it's been foggy before without issue. Several times on different roads it would read 35 as 55. With the adaptive cruise, I would station keep off the car in front and not notice an acceleration. When you're below limit, the speed sign doesn't flash either in the dash. It was only when the person in front of me turned and my car accelerated and just kept going. I caught it, because like any responsible driver I still pay attention even with automation, and immediately took over, but I could see someone who's either distracted or not familiar miss it. The truck was trying to drive 25 over the limit in neighborhoods. That's pretty insane and I hadn't seen that issue until this morning. Conditions were foggy with visibility 1 to 5 miles, overcast very low ceilings, and mid morning. I'm not sure why it was acting up today but it's a pretty significant error and I wanted to share since these are both heavy and quick trucks and it taking off unexpectedly could result in significant harm.
I had an issue in which it read the highway sign rather than the speed limit one. My situation was the speed limit was 55 and I had it set to stay at 5mph over. When it saw the road sign which was 75, it tried to speed up to 80. I then thought this feature is not fully developed yet, so I turned it off. I would think it could somehow read and adjust the speed limit based on the GPS. Anyway, I have turned it on when I'm not on that highway and do like how it works when you are coming into a town and have the cruise set. I have a hunch Ford may discontinue this feature if any accidents happen, but I sure hope not either happens.
Sponsored

Last edited: