• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate opening while parked

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
So this morning when I went out to the truck the tailgate was open. That's weird... A few minutes after getting home and plugging in the alarm starts going off. I look outside and the tailgate is open again. I have the key fob in my hands,so that isn't it. Anybody else have any problems like this?
Sponsored

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
There is a recall for this. Ford performed this on my 2023

OP
OP

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Noticed you said it’s not the key fob, but the fob is sensitive to anything in your pocket or pressure hanging off belt. I have activated the truck twice not trying. Take care.

Sponsored
OP
OP

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Noticed you said it’s not the key fob, but the fob is sensitive to anything in your pocket or pressure hanging off belt. I have activated the truck twice not trying. Take care.
Key fob usually lives in the center console of the truck in front of the cup holders. After removing the keys they were on the dining room table.

While driving this morning the truck beeped and message popped up can not open tailgate while moving or something to that affect. Keys were in an otherwise empty pocket.

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Key fob usually lives in the center console of the truck in front of the cup holders. After removing the keys they were on the dining room table.

While driving this morning the truck beeped and message popped up can not open tailgate while moving or something to that affect. Keys were in an otherwise empty pocket.
Crazy to hear, hope you get it corrected. Take care

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So this morning when I went out to the truck the tailgate was open. That's weird... A few minutes after getting home and plugging in the alarm starts going off. I look outside and the tailgate is open again. I have the key fob in my hands,so that isn't it. Anybody else have any problems like this?
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just tried to open the closed tailgate...now it won't open at all. Push button, three beeps. Press the button on the key twice, nothing. Press button on dash, three beeps. Tried to switch to manual vs power and it switches back within a few seconds. If I press the open/close button on the dash or the keys it flips back to power immediately. Is this normal behavior? Does the truck brain think that it is getting a signal to open/close the tailgate continually? other problem may be the tonneau cover that is closed, so no bed access at this time.

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachEauto awd ER XLT Lightning ER
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Check under your passenger floor mat for moisture. I have seen water leaks get water in the bcm (fuse panel) and cause this concern.

Sponsored
OP
OP

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
Check under your passenger floor mat for moisture. I have seen water leaks get water in the bcm (fuse panel) and cause this concern.
Totally dry.

Quarter2heavy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
So having an opposite issue. While tailgate is down it will try to close after some time. Just dumped pvc glue and primer all over the place, as I was using it as a workbench when doing an underground service. Keyfob and phone were on the tailgate at the time

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I've twice had the truck tell me the tailgate was open when it wasn't. I pulled over, opened and closed it, then it cleared. Hadn't thought much of it.

OP
OP

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now the tailgate is not moving at all. Just three quick beeps when pressing the button on the tailgate, remote or dash. Currently it is shut and will not move. I may try to move up my appointment. What good is a pick up with no functional tailgate. At least the low spec manual operating tailgate opens... Also have been having 12V battery drain issues starting at the same time as the tailgate problems. Obd2 reader and carscanner app show charge percentage falling to 60ish percent during the day at work. In 20 minutes of driving it is back up to 80+ percent. After charging overnight it is still 80+.

nedbulle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I had this problem and its still not resolved. The issue is related to the Lightbar recall which took Ford so long to implement that water leaked into the main wiring harness and caused corrosion. My dealer won't fix it though so I'm stuck with a tailgate that won't open and the issues are spreading. My back up lights now flicker. I'm organizing around this so if you've got this problem too reach out to me please. Thanks
Sponsored