• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla adapter cost

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
What, are you on Tesla’s payroll? No, there is more than one video and one thing the tests did definitively prove is that you don’t need a “Tesla” adapter. All you need is an adapter that is wired correctly and a Tesla account to process payment.

300 amps is 120 kW at 400V. The local Magic Dock Superchargers would only give me about 114 kW and so many CCS chargers around me seem to be throttled to less than 100 kW. Anything close to 120 kW would be a big improvement most of the time and who says the “Tesla” adapter will do any better.

Sounds like you are just blowing smoke.
Link to the other videos please. Or Cite who put them out, otherwise I'm not the one blowing smoke here. Note, I said specifically for the AtoZ, Tom had exclusive access to their prototype. So don't go linking videos to XYZ and claim victory.

We've all known there is more than just hardware that is holding us back. I'm not sure why you are making a big deal out of this. Tesla needs to know how to charge for the electrons, are you suggesting they flip the switch now and give us free charging?

How about addressing the safety concerns before getting off that high horse. I want access as much as the next person but I'm not willing to compromise safety for it. AtoZ is getting their adaptor certified and I applaud them for that. I'll patiently wait and see what Ford offers before jumping any guns.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
When will the adapter be available…when will the adapter be available…when will….

What a bunch of BS!!! NACS to CCS Adapters are already available! A2Z makes one and several videos show that it works.

We could be using Superchargers right now if Tesla would just turn on the switch. If the adapter is available then we need to ask why are they waiting? None of the answers I can come up with make me think Tesla cares about Ford Lightning owners.
Help me understand what benefit it would be for Tesla to be slow rolling this? It is fairly obvious to me that they made the decision that monetizing their vast charging network is going to be more profitable to them compared to the benefit of having a walled garden of charging that would help them generate profit by selling more vehicles. Since they made that decision, why wouldn't they want to start generating that additional revenue ASAP?

I dont think its going slow because Tesla wants it to go slow, I think there are real technical challenges and/or more likely bureaucratic logistics that need to be navigated between them and the other automakers and that is taking time. I for one am not as optimistic as most of you and generally it seems these types of things take longer than originally announced and/or anticipated. I am very doubtful any of us are charging on NACS only superchargers with our trucks in Q1 2024. I pray that I'm wrong and those of you that are more optimistic are correct!

Last edited:

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
When will the adapter be available…when will the adapter be available…when will….

What a bunch of BS!!! NACS to CCS Adapters are already available! A2Z makes one and several videos show that it works.

We could be using Superchargers right now if Tesla would just turn on the switch. If the adapter is available then we need to ask why are they waiting? None of the answers I can come up with make me think Tesla cares about Ford Lightning owners.

like I stated before Tesla has already made this adapter and it's available now. and it's tested and works. it's called the magic dock. they just need to make them available to us. and flip the switch. It most likely will be throttled, but I'm happy with 120kw as my lightening is a SR and can't take much more than that.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Help me understand what benefit it would be for Tesla to be slow rolling this? It is fairly obvious to me that they made the decision that monetizing their vast charging network is going to be more profitable to them compared to the benefit of having a walled garden of charging that would help them generate profit by selling more vehicles. Since they made that decision, why wouldn't they want to start generating that additional revenue ASAP?

I dont think its going slow because Tesla wants it to go slow, I think there are real technical challenges and/or more likely bureaucratic logistics that need to be navigated between them and the other automakers and that is taking time. I for one am not as optimistic as most of you and generally it seems these types of things take longer than originally announced and/or anticipated. I am very doubtful any of us are charging on NACS only superchargers with our trucks in Q1 2023. I pray that I'm wrong and those of you that are more optimistic are correct!
Slow it down!?! Tesla could have made their network available to other manufacturers EV ten years ago but chose to go the proprietary route. I believe the main reason that Tesla is opening up their network now is so they can tap into the NEVI funds.

Tesla has always excelled in predatory business practices. I think Tesla will continue to make promises but drag this out so they can maximize publicity and minimize expenditures. Anyone that expects Tesla to keep their promises really hasn’t been paying attention.

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
Slow it down!?! Tesla could have made their network available to other manufacturers EV ten years ago but chose to go the proprietary route. I believe the main reason that Tesla is opening up their network now is so they can tap into the NEVI funds.

Tesla has always excelled in predatory business practices. I think Tesla will continue to make promises but drag this out so they can maximize publicity and minimize expenditures. Anyone that expects Tesla to keep their promises really hasn’t been paying attention.
Ding...Ding...Ding... We have a winner!

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

NEVI has not been modified. It is for the installation of CCS chargers as currently written. If you have receipts that say otherwise I’d love to see them. Also, for the record I’d much rather have that money be spent (other than preferably being returned to taxpayers) on the installation of reliable Tesla NACS chargers than the hot mess that is the CCS infrastructure.

Tesla misses self imposed deadlines for sure. That is fact, but they also make great products. Which is why we are all drooling over the notion of getting access to their chargers. This would all be a lot simpler if you just said you hate Tesla than contort yourself into a pretzel of illogic.

They had a reason for the walled garden, it worked well. Then they came to a realization there was more money to be made in the charging network. It’s that simple. You may not like Tesla’s leadership, but they are not dumb.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
You could do the extension cable with thicker wires. Thicker wires means less losses and more heating, but also more weight and cost.

For the AtoZ adapter - the 300A limit would be a pretty big bottleneck and limit you to around 100kW charging in the real world. That is a pretty big speed cut vs. what EA / EVgo can do when they are working right. The good ole speed vs. reliability argument.
Saw that interview and was not thrilled to hear about the 300Amps.
I used the Magic Dock in Arlington, TX and was limited to 350Amps. Using CarScanner and based on my pack voltage, I saw 117 to 124kw, where as if I hook up my SR truck to a 350 EA charger with more amperage, I can pull 150kw+.
So even though the SC network can push up to 675Amps, they are gonna limit this to 350 is my bet.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Farley said free, in the midwest charging is a mess. Im in Sioux Falls for work and if i didnt have my tesla adapter to charge at the hotel id be screwed. The only level 3 CCS in town charges $5 to plug in and then $0.78 per Kw at a whopping 50 kw (despite being rated higher). The Ford dealer is supposedly installing 28 chargers but we will see. BTW there is a nice big bank of Superchargers hardly being used.
Sioux Falls and Eastern SD suck for charging. Really doesn't make a lot of sense. Once you get to Wall, SD it get's pretty easy. Super fast new EA chargers in Wall, Rapid City, Gillette and Billings. Chamberlain should be online any day. Sioux Falls and Mitchell desperately need EA chargers. We are going across I-90 in December and I'm a little nervous about it. Especially if it's ass cold.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ha. tesla doesn't care about it's own customers.

haresource2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Avalanch
Occupation
business owner
I don't know if I'm correct, but I read somewhere that charging extensions are not allowed for fast chargers. I'm sure someone here would know if that is correct.

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
The wonderful thing about "standards" is there are just so many of them. Frankly, the feds should just mandate a standard, period. Imagine if it was left to industry when electrification came out, the US would look like Europe with a different plug for each country. The EU got Apple to change to USB-C and mandated GSM for cell phones.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Frankly, the feds should just mandate a standard, period. Imagine if it was left to industry when electrification came out, the US would look like Europe with a different plug for each country.
So….since the US is one country, we’d have one plug?

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I’d pay to have a NACS receptacle in the fake charge port door on the passenger side of the Lightning and keep my CCS on the driver’s side. Then the truck should software select whichever one is plugged in to charge. This is worth $500-$1000 for me to be able to charge either standard and not mess with extensions or creative parking.

dgargano

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm OK with dropping a few hundred on this, but anything more than $500 would be a no-go for me. I'm not going to road-trip in my Lightning very often.
🤔
Sponsored