• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla adapter cost

Downs08

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning, 22 E Transit, 22 Lexus RX350L
Occupation
Cabinet sales and installation
While at the EV Drive show thus Sunday in Asheville, NC, a representative from Ford was polling Ford EV owners in regard to a charging adapter for Tesla. She was asking if Ford offered an adapter, how much we would be willing to pay. She also asked if they offered a one meter extension cable for the adapter, how much we would be willing to pay.
I told her, personally I thought they should provide the adapter at no cost but if I had to pay for the adapter it shouldn’t be more than $150. I told her I would be willing to pay around $100 for an extension.
Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Pay? It should be free it they are changing charging standards on us. Why bill us twice?

This would be a moot point if they would build the fast reliable charging infrastructure they originally promised.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Free is good, the adapter should have a 12-18" whip between the NACS & CCS1 ports

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
I'd pay for the extension cable if I could use it with or without the adapter (adapter plus extension at Tesla stations, just the extension cable on CCS)

stevey_frac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
I'm OK with dropping a few hundred on this, but anything more than $500 would be a no-go for me. I'm not going to road-trip in my Lightning very often.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I would say $300 to $400 for the adapter and maybe $150 to $200 for the cable. These things won't be cheap, but it does add a lot of piece of mind and opens up some areas for travel that are just about impossible now.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The adapter should be sold at the lowest possible price, not as a profit generator. Not a dime in profit, this accelerates acceptance of the vehicles by the general public. Ford and the other auto companies should negotiate a massive order with no profit built in for anyone.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla adapter cost one-milliondollars-dr-evil

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
If Rivian can afford to send them out for free, then I expect Ford to also send one out for free. I saw @tommolog 's video on the AtoZ adapter. In the interview, the CEO said they are in talks with several automakers to adopt their adapter and that they'd also be selling it direct. They are targeting $150-$200 for the price, limited to 300A if I recall.

I still don't see how we can get an extension cable for DCFC when the rest of the cable has to be actively cooled. That will be very interesting, not sure I want to go for that.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I still don't see how we can get an extension cable for DCFC when the rest of the cable has to be actively cooled. That will be very interesting, not sure I want to go for that.
If not a whip cable, then how about a repositioned NACS port, instead of inline arched, make a couple of 90° turns, coming out of the CCS1 side, out ~3-5", turn downward and run 3-5", then turn left (pointing truck forward) with the NACS port, that would allow a more direct route to the short SuperCharger cable.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If Rivian can afford to send them out for free, then I expect Ford to also send one out for free. I saw @tommolog 's video on the AtoZ adapter. In the interview, the CEO said they are in talks with several automakers to adopt their adapter and that they'd also be selling it direct. They are targeting $150-$200 for the price, limited to 300A if I recall.

You could do the extension cable with thicker wires. Thicker wires means less losses and more heating, but also more weight and cost.

For the AtoZ adapter - the 300A limit would be a pretty big bottleneck and limit you to around 100kW charging in the real world. That is a pretty big speed cut vs. what EA / EVgo can do when they are working right. The good ole speed vs. reliability argument.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
@TaxmanHog I like the 90 degree turn idea if a cable is not possible. It's a shame the door flap didn't just come out and rotate out of the way like many other charge port doors. Would make that angled adapter much more compact.

Last couple times I used EA this past summer the best I got was around 130kW and an overall session average of about 100kW. 300A would make do in a pinch but I agree it's not ideal. As I understand it, Tesla will be making the one Ford gets (can't remember the source), so I'm hopeful that it will be capable of the Lightning's full rate. If I have to park creatively, so be it.

OP
OP
Downs08

Downs08

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'd pay for the extension cable if I could use it with or without the adapter (adapter plus extension at Tesla stations, just the extension cable on CCS)
I asked why we can’t just get the adapter and cable in one piece. The reason they asked two separate questions is because they won’t be able to offer the extension cable for about 9 months after the adapter.

• Wow
Reactions: cal
OP
OP
Downs08

Downs08

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The NACS to CCS supercharger adaptor is already out. Just need to figure out how to get it out of the dang magic dock! lol.
The picture she showed me looked exactly like the magic dock connector.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If I must pay, it should be only cost. Truly Ford should ship it to us free on their dime. The reason I feel they owe it to us is that they continue to tout and claim access to the largest charging network. The only true reason this thing exists and there is an agreement with Tesla is due the utter failure of that "network".
Sponsored